RCCL Virgin: When & How to Book Jan 2018

tasmith09

Royal Caribbean newbie here after 4 previous Carnival cruises (2010-2014). We've decided on a January 2018 itinerary on either the Oasis or the Allure.

On Carnival, I always book their early saver rate and took advantage of any price drops and sales. Does Royal have a similar rate that guarantees the lowest rate? Are there upcoming sales I should wait to book for? I need insider tips! ;)

I also read that booking through a travel agent may offer additional discounts and offers. Are there any downsides to using an agent?

Please educate this newbie! Share any tips you wish you would have known for your first Royal cruise. I'm curious about how it will differ from my previous Carnival experiences.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean newbie here after 4 previous Carnival cruises (2010-2014). We've decided on a January 2018 itinerary on either the Oasis or the Allure.

On Carnival, I always book their early saver rate and took advantage of any price drops and sales. Does Royal have a similar rate that guarantees the lowest rate? Are there upcoming sales I should wait to book for? I need insider tips! ;)

I also read that booking through a travel agent may offer additional discounts and offers. Are there any downsides to using an agent?

Please educate this newbie! Share any tips you wish you would have known for your first Royal cruise. I'm curious about how it will differ from my previous Carnival experiences.

Royal does not have an early saver rate. You can however monitor prices yourself and if your rate drops you can call and get the new rate applied up until Royal's final payment date. note...when requesting the new lower price you will also lose any OBC or other benefits that were part of your original booking. essentially you are cancelling one booking and creating a new one.

The only discount thru' a TA would be a group rate, but you can be added to any group without actually knowing anyone and get the rate. This is only if the selected TA has any group for your selected date. No early saver, but you should be choosing a date and ship now. Rates will likely only go up in the future. If you see a lower rate, call and it will be applied. You will not be cancelling your booking by doing this. You will keep your booking number and simply get the new rate. TA's can offer on board credit, paid gratuities, wine, specialty dinners, etc. and may or may not charge fees for any changes to your reservation. If you ask questions of several different TA's, you should be able to find one who charges no fees, is available via e-mail or cell phone 24/7 and will give you some sort of goodies such as those mentioned above. Seriously, if a rate looks OK with you now, do NOT wait to see if the rate will be lower. Even when RCI has "sales", they tend to raise the base rate to "make up" for any perceived savings.

The only discount thru' a TA would be a group rate, but you can be added to any group without actually knowing anyone and get the rate. This is only if the selected TA has any group for your selected date. No early saver, but you should be choosing a date and ship now. Rates will likely only go up in the future. If you see a lower rate, call and it will be applied. You will not be cancelling your booking by doing this. You will keep your booking number and simply get the new rate. TA's can offer on board credit, paid gratuities, wine, specialty dinners, etc. and may or may not charge fees for any changes to your reservation. If you ask questions of several different TA's, you should be able to find one who charges no fees, is available via e-mail or cell phone 24/7 and will give you some sort of goodies such as those mentioned above. Seriously, if a rate looks OK with you now, do NOT wait to see if the rate will be lower. Even when RCI has "sales", they tend to raise the base rate to "make up" for any perceived savings.

Thank you! This is really helpful! Are TA recommendations allowed to be shared on CC?