Canadian ETA requirement?

Wol

We will be cruising next June with several stops in Eastern Canada. There are new requirements for visitors - Electronic Travel Authority, a la the US ESTA.

It specifically says on the Canadian government website that these are ONLY needed for entry by air and not for sea or land entry.

The cruise line and VisaLink both say the opposite! (That we WILL need the ETA!)

Anyone have recent first hand experience? I believe that what was "voluntary" changed in September to "compulsory".

(Australian passports)

I know that the Canadian site says it's not needed but I just wanted to find someone who has recently been through Canadian ports on a cruise to confirm.

As I mentioned, the cruise line and VisaLink both indicate that the ETA IS required.

It's part of the ongoing problem that so many countries have no conception of cruise passengers who are only in a port for a few hours.

This one starts in Singapore and ends in Miami!

on the Visa link site it says you do not need one if you arrive by land or sea

http://visalink.com.au/requirements

scroll down the page

so i guess point that out to the cruise line

Enjoy the cruise

Not on MY VisaLink page it doesn't!

Entering with Australia and NSW as the state, Tourist Electronic (The only real option) it says that we DO need visas - the box "Arrival by sea or land" just has an exclamation mark on it: clicking on the box does nothing.

Stranger and stranger....

Sorry I was wrong I clicked on the "Transit Visa" option :o

On the Canadian Gov site there is a link you can send a question to them

You could ask if you need the ETA if coming by sea for port stops

How much is the ETA ?

It may be worth peace of mind just to get one & not have to worry about if you will be denied entry or boarding

Sorry I was wrong I clicked on the "Transit Visa" option :o

On the Canadian Gov site there is a link you can send a question to them

You could ask if you need the ETA if coming by sea for port stops

How much is the ETA ?

It may be worth peace of mind just to get one & not have to worry about if you will be denied entry or boarding

It's only CA$7 I believe - not significant. It's just that every time one applies for something like that there's a chance of rejection which can foul up everything from then on.

I've just renewed our US ESTAs which would be out of date during our next cruise - and Mrs Wol's wasn't issued for some reason. The US ESTA application form gets longer and longer each time we apply, with questions from one's past that we can't remember - I suspect the algorithms compare the new application with the old issue and think there's something fishy if some answers don't match up - but it's a real worry anyway.

It's only CA$7 I believe - not significant. It's just that every time one applies for something like that there's a chance of rejection which can foul up everything from then on.

Yes that can be a problem

I have a good memory but it is getting shorter lately

I had to renew my passport & went to print off the application I kept getting error messages

I am hope they figure it out & sent the new passport ;)

The (present!) definitive answer came when we decided to apply for the Canadian ETA anyway, just to be sure.

The second question asked whether we were entering by air - yes/no. On clicking "no" the application terminates, saying that we do not require the ETA.

Most of the advice we've received from the industry has been wrong!

The (present!) definitive answer came when we decided to apply for the Canadian ETA anyway, just to be sure.

The second question asked whether we were entering by air - yes/no. On clicking "no" the application terminates, saying that we do not require the ETA.

Most of the advice we've received from the industry has been wrong!

Glad you got the final answer

enjoy the cruise