Egg Crate Covers from Home?

funforsun

After reading some of the posts regarding mattresses, I have a question that some of you may be able to help with.

I hear that the mattresses on Island Princess are not yet "new", whatever that means, and some of you like to get an "egg-crate" cover from Princess. Not only because of availability of this type of item, but mostly for cleanliness reasons, I am thinking of getting one and bringing it on board, where I will leave it at the end of the cruise. (Got this idea from an RCCL poster and these items ar $10-20.)

If I bring one on board, what should the thickness be? 3" or 4" or some other number? I would like some advice on that. If you got one from Princess for your cruise, can you guess how thick it was?

Is this necessary or are the mattresses on Island relatively new/comfortable?

Mattress's were replaced on the Island Princess during a 10 day dry dock in Victoria in September. We watched from the dock at Canada Place as they completed the task during their 3 day visit after the dry dock and prior to our boarding on 09/20/05. We have sailed the Island 4 times and have never had a problem with the mattress.

Seems to me it would be a lot of extra work to bring an egg crate pad with you but if that makes you feel comfortable have at it.

pharmaguy,

Due to the wife's bad back, we have been used the egg crate form pads. All I had to do was fax Princess Customer Services with my cruise information and room. Our room steward had received our request and had them installed already. Our pads have been about 2 inches thick and served the needs very well.

Hope that helps. Ron

We also requested the eggcrate mattress toppers when We sailed on the Caribbean Princess in March. Called Princess and told them what We wanted and they gave us a FAX # to use and what info to include. When We boarded and went to our cabin, the mattress toppers were on the bed. They were nice and clean about 2 inches thick. It made such a difference as We both have back problems.

Thank you Coral. I assumed that we need to give them our names, the ship, sailing date, and cabin number with the request. Is there anything else we should include, such as the booking number?

I would include the booking number also (along with the other items you mentioned).

I have had mixed results with faxing the request in. Sometimes it is taken care of, other times I still need to mention it to the room steward and once I mentioned it to the room steward and she had no clue what I was talking about and I never could explain it to her...

We received a different Fax # from Princess. they probably have a few.

FAX# 661-284-4745. Attention: "Customer Assistance Desk", Include Booking Number, Cabin Number, Your names on the booking , Name of the Ship, Date of Sailing. Then on 2nd sheet list your "Special Requests". We also requested 4 Feather Pillows and they were great and the egg crate foam topper for the bed. If you are doing twin beds ask for (2) toppers. Then sign and put your name and home address and phone number on it as well. Hope this helps! Enjoy the cruise......Ike

A thought just came into my mind about different Fax Numbers. I called Princess and told them I was sailing on the Caribbean Princess and had "Special Requests". The Fax Number I was given may have been for the "Caribbean Princess". So be sure and check it out. I would call Princess at 1 800 421-0522 and tell them you have "Special Requests" and what Fax Number should you use. They may give you a different number for your "SHIP". Ike

The egg-crate toppers are very inexpensive (I looked on-line, $10-20) and come pre-packaged with all of the air out of them so they are very compact. I like to bring as little as possible, but knowing that getting one is a little hit-and-miss, I think it may be a good idea.

Still, if the mattresses are new and comfortable, then maybe this isn't even necessary. At least, that seems to be the case from Colo Cruiser and that seems very credible to me. Anybody else been on the new mattresses and bedding? We are in a mini-suite on Island and I hope these staterooms are included with the new bedding.

Still, if the mattresses are new and comfortable, then maybe this isn't even necessary. At least, that seems to be the case from Colo Cruiser and that seems very credible to me. Anybody else been on the new mattresses and bedding? We are in a mini-suite on Island and I hope these staterooms are included with the new bedding.

We had the new mattresses and sheets on the Golden (minisuite) and still asked for the egg crate mattress pad. The new beds are very firm (IMO).

Archived