Help please with possible problems with time changes on a cruise

cubalinda

Hi there. I could use some help with how you manage with the time changes travelling on a cruise. By that, I mean If the ship is on Eastern time and I will be going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise that will take me to Atlantic time islands. I believe they are 1 hr ahead of ship's time. Is that correct?...
Actually NO, for you, that is not correct. Based on your other posts your cruise is in May. In May your departure port of Port Everglades will be on Eastern Daylight Time. Haiti is now Eastern Standard Time year round, BUT Labadee being a private peninsula under long term lease to RCI will be using EDT. San Juan and St. Marteen will both be on Atlantic Standard Time (which is identical to EDT). So in May, Harmony will NOT change time on Eastern Caribbean cruises as all clocks in all ports both on and off the ship will be the same as Port Everglades time.

Note that when Port Everglades is on EST (as it is as I write this) the above does NOT hold, and it is up to the Captain what ship time will be.

Thom

Thank you for all the replies. Last year on the Oasis of the Seas when on a Western Caribbean itinerary of Labadee Haiti, Trelawny Jamaica and Cozumel Mexico I believe they were all on Eastern standard time and matched the ship's time (no worries).

This year's cruise on Harmony of the Seas begins April 29th to May 6th from Port Everglades Fla (EST) and goes to Nassau (not sure if it is on Atlantic time?) and St. Kitts and St. Thomas (both of which I am sure are on Atlantic time).

These two ports I have excursions booked, so I must confirm with the operators if their start time is on their local time or ship's time and must adjust accordingly to get up on time and not literally miss the bus.

I'm making more of this than is necessary, but I just want to have these days as worry free as possible. Ill probably do the overkill thing and see about undoing any"automatic time zone" setting (iphone 6S) and see if it stays in EST, find a watch to wear (haven't worn one in yrs) and try the ship's wake up call.

Thanks again.

...This year's cruise on Harmony of the Seas begins April 29th to May 6th from Port Everglades Fla (EST) and goes to Nassau (not sure if it is on Atlantic time?) and St. Kitts and St. Thomas (both of which I am sure are on Atlantic time)...
At the end of April Port Everglades will be on Eastern DAYLIGHT Time (EDT, not EST) as will Nassau; St.Kitts and St.Thomas will both be on Atlantic STANDARD Time. All times will be 4 hours earlier (-4 hours) than UTC (aka GMT). Clocks should never be changed by you or the ship.

Note that this is not true when Port Everglades is on EST.

Thom