Fun with the fisheye

pierces

A few years ago, I saw the Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye on a Lightning Deal for $299 and decided that I would satisfy a longtime curiosity and buy one. I played with it and immediately found a few Fisheye facts out for myself:

- Portraits with a fisheye are humorous and cannot to be used for flattering headshots.

- Feet and fingers have a habit of finding their way into the frame.

- Stuff curves. Live with it. If you constantly use software to de-fisheye a fisheye photo, save yourself the trouble and just get a non-fisheye wide angle lens.

- Objects in the viewfinder are closer than they appear.

Recently, I started taking it along on trips and outings mounted on a second body and have found it to be an interesting creative tool if used wisely.

Why am I mentioning this?

As most of you know by now, I am a fan of photography. I enjoy it and will find a reason to shoot something at the drop of a hat. As a fan, I do what any fan does and try to convert anyone who will listen to becoming a fan of what I am a fan of. So, this is yet another thread encouraging folks to get out and shoot. I know that several of you have purchased fisheye lenses, ultra-wides or screw-on converters and I'm posting this to encourage you to drag them out and shoot something.

For those of you who haven't, examples posted here may give a push if you're on the fence about investing in a lens that is not what you would call a solid workhorse. These lenses are not everyday lenses and are not suitable for every subject but can be great tools for finding a different way of seeing the world around you.

Here are a few examples of the fun I've had with the Rokinon 8mm. Some have been cropped slightly. (Fingers and feet...remember?)

p485748792-5.jpg

p1553212950-5.jpg

p326859479-5.jpg

p440976820-5.jpg

p962876754-5.jpg

p1019447533-5.jpg

Happy wiiiiiiiiiiide shooting!

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 4 weeks later...

I love my fisheye. I don't get to use it as much as I should for the price I paid.

22091877902_01e28c33f1_b.jpgROM064 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr

21841420486_8eb6bee74b_b.jpgKOT046 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr

15109199203_b457f23d28_b.jpgSUM058 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr

11403895426_51db1538c9_b.jpgARU009 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr

11396567525_e872d0ac63_b.jpgECL034 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr

8292440401_80cc273cd9_b.jpgzSIC025 by Matt Barnette, on Flickr