A Near Washout On Gem

Cruzn Bills Fan

I'll add to this critique as I have time. In the meantime if you have questions ask away.

Pre-Cruise

We sailed Norwegian Gem, 27 Nov- 4 Dec in the Purple Diamond Owners Suite 10004. This was our 10th cruise our 6th on NCL and we reached Platinum after this cruise. I’ll do this in bits and pieces starting with San Juan. We flew in 2 days before the cruise and stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Isla Verde. I am an HHonors Diamond member so we were upgraded to a 2-room suite. The hotel is great and in a good location to restaurants and stores and a short walk to the beach. A nice pool with a swim up bar, grill and a daily happy hour from 5-7. The happy hour includes free mixed drinks, light snacks and massages. The breakfast set up is similar to all other Hampton Inns.

We ate in two restaurants in San Juan and the one I’d recommend is directly across the street. It’s called Edith’s 24/7. The Mofongo was delicious!

Embarkation Day

There were 5 of us all together, in 3 different cabins. We got in a taxi around 1100 since the other 3 that weren’t in a Suite picked 1100-1200 as boarding times. Boarding the ship went very quickly. Getting to the ship did not. A drive that should have taken 10-15 minutes actually took close to an hour. Traffic getting to the pier is awful! However once we were out of the taxi we were ALL aboard the ship within 20 minutes. Very efficient boarding process. My DW and I ate lunch at Cagney’s. After lunch we met up with the others at Bali Hai and got the party started. Here’s where we met our favorite bar waiter Abdul. He was a blast! After a few drinks we headed to the theater for the muster drill (4:30). Then we went back to the bar to keep the party going. We closed down Bali Hai and went to our cabins/suite. By this time the weather started to worsen. Unfortunately the outer door to the front balcony in our suite had been left open. The carpet was soaked but we got it shut and called it a night. The storminess had just begun.

Edited by Batman's Skivvies

Our One and Only Sea Day

We picked this itinerary because it was port intensive and had only one sea day. Sea day to us is baking in the sun while sipping cold drinks and watching the festivities. Well that never happened. Overnight the weather worsened. We were now in 50+ knot winds with 10 foot waves. Most of the weather decks were secured. It was so bad that they printed a revised FreeStyle Daily, and distributed it before lunch. We ended up touring the ship, doing some shopping and doing what rainy weather causes. We took a nap. The good news was that the weather was going to improve for our 1st port which was Grenada. But when we got back to our suite my message light was flashing. Unfortunately due to an engine issue our excursion on the Rhum Runner Catamaran the next day had to be cancelled. Bummer. But the weather is going to improve. That night we ate at Moderno. That’s probably my least favorite NCL restaurant. Next up Grenada.

Grenada

Since our excursion had been cancelled we needed to find something to do. Not far from the pier was a smaller pier with water taxis to Grande Anse Beach. We jumped in one, round trip was $10pp. It was about a 15 minute ride to the beach. We rented 4 loungers and 2 umbrellas for a total of $20 for the day. We spent the day there swimming, snorkeling and having a few Carib beers. The snorkeling was pretty good. It would have been much better if it wasn’t cloudy with occasional showers. Rain was an almost constant this cruise. I’m an experienced snorkeler and SCUBA diver. The reef is about a hundred yard off the beach. It ended up being a good day. Shortly after we got back to the ship the bottom fell out again. That night we ate at LaCucina. As most of you know the menus have been changed. I had the Osso Bucco (sp?) which was delicious. For dessert I ordered the Taramissu (sp?). I found egg shells in it and told the waiter. The next thing I know the restaurant manager and the concierge are at the table apologizing. It wasn’t a big deal to me, but they made it one. On the way out of the restaurant both the head chef and the pastry chef were waiting to apologize. Again not a big deal to me. Next St. Lucia.

St. Lucia

Woke up Wednesday morning and the weather looked to be better. So my wife, son and I grabbed a taxi and Headed to Pidgeon Island for some more snorkeling. The taxi cost $20 each RT. After a half hour ride we arrived and the sun was actually out! We rented a couple chairs and an umbrella and hit the water. The visibility left a lot to be desired. After about a half hour in the water the weather went bad on us again. It got very windy, and it poured rain. One of the bars had free WiFi so I checked the radar on my weather App and it was solid rain that was going to last the rest of the day. We called our taxi back and headed back to the ship. Another day lost to the rain :mad: . That night we ate Teppanyaki. It was much better than the last time we tried it on Pearl. Next up Dominica.

Dominica

I love the wildness of this island. We’ve been here a few times and have been up in the rainforest before. The weather wasn’t looking good so we walked the downtown markets and did some shopping. It did rain some but wasn’t a complete washout. The most entertaining part was two Rasta guys playing steel drums and a 5-gallon bucket singing the one Christmas Carol they knew – “Feliz Navidad”. They played it over and over. We’ll never be able to listen to that song again the same way. That night was date night at Cagney’s. I did the shrimp cocktail and rib eye. It was delicious! My wife had the crab cake and the shrimp skewers with rice pilaf and she really liked it. As a Marylander she was surprised the crab cake was so good. It would have been a perfect dinner if I hadn’t spilled red wine on my new white dress shirt. Oh well, it’s nothing Spray Nine can’t take care of. Next Antigua.

Grenada

Since our excursion had been cancelled we needed to find something to do. Not far from the pier was a smaller pier with water taxis to Grande Anse Beach. We jumped in one' date=' round trip was $10pp. It was about a 15 minute ride to the beach. We rented 4 loungers and 2 umbrellas for a total of $20 for the day. We spent the day there swimming, snorkeling and having a few Carib beers. The snorkeling was pretty good. It would have been much better if it wasn’t cloudy with occasional showers. Rain was an almost constant this cruise. I’m an experienced snorkeler and SCUBA diver. The reef is about a hundred yard off the beach. It ended up being a good day. Shortly after we got back to the ship the bottom fell out again. That night we ate at LaCucina. As most of you know the menus have been changed. I had the Osso Bucco (sp?) which was delicious. For dessert I ordered the Taramissu (sp?). I found egg shells in it and told the waiter. The next thing I know the restaurant manager and the concierge are at the table apologizing. It wasn’t a big deal to me, but they made it one. On the way out of the restaurant both the head chef and the pastry chef were waiting to apologize. Again not a big deal to me. Next St. Lucia.[/quote']

You are very gracious. Stuff happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Antigua

As the morning dawned and we sailed into Antigua the sun was finally shining! We had reserved the Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and Beach Excursion. The cat was very nice and was run by Wadadli Catamarans. The last time we were in Antigua we sailed on a Tiami cat. We motored for around 30 minutes or so to what Captain Rikky called Paradise Reef. The water was a little choppy but visibility was great. Lots and lots of fish. However there was more dead coral than there was live coral. After snorkeling the crew raised the sails and opened the bar. This excursion included rum punch, beer and lunch. After one rum punch everyone in our group of five decided it was too strong and switched to Carib beers. It was a nice sail to a cove where we anchored and lunch was served. Lunch consisted of chicken, fish, rice & beans and mac & cheese. I ate the rice & beans and some mac & cheese. Both were good. After lunch we motored onto the beach for about an hour of fun in the sun and sand. This was by far the best day of the cruise. The sun was hot and the beer was cold. There’s not much more you can ask for. After the crew forced everyone back onto the cat we motored back to the pier and disembarked. We headed to the pool deck and the party continued. The Battle of the Sexes in the pool was hilarious. Ash one of the Assistant Cruise Directors is hilarious. He also hosted The Quest on the last night. After a full day of sun and drinking everyone crashed early. Next Tortola.

Antigua

After one rum punch everyone in our group of five decided it was too strong and switched to Carib beers. It was a nice sail to a cove where we anchored and lunch was served.

Lunch consisted of chicken' date=' fish, rice & beans and mac & cheese.

I ate the rice & beans and some mac & cheese. Both were good.

After lunch we motored onto the beach for about an hour of fun in the sun and sand.

[b']This was by far the best day of the cruise. The sun was hot and the beer was cold.

There’s not much more you can ask for. [/b]

After the crew forced everyone back onto the cat we motored back to the pier and disembarked.

We headed to the pool deck and the party continued. Ash one of the Assistant Cruise Directors is hilarious. He also hosted The Quest on the last night.

After a full day of sun and drinking everyone crashed early. Next Tortola.

Nice post! I agree; just eat the rice and beans.

To anybody ( not only fat america) that complains about cruise ship food, go without for a while, and it will all taste better.

Edited by $hip$hape

Tortola

The next day we pulled into Tortola and it was again a nice sunny day. After so much partying in Antigua we weren’t up for much on this day. We hung out by the pool in the morning and then hit the shops on the pier for some shopping in the afternoon. We did a little shopping and then headed back to the ship to rehydrate and rest before the final night shows. Next Final Thoughts

Final Thoughts (Ramblings)

I would absolutely cruise out of San Juan again. I also would absolutely cruise on Gem again, but not out of NY. The breakfast and lunch perk in Moderno and Cagney’s is great. The menu changes I don’t care for: the breakfast menu change that did away with the crab cake eggs benedict. The seafood version just isn’t the same. Doing away with the chicken parmesan in LaCucina and no more Oreo cheesecake in Cagney’s. All changes for the worse. We had UBP/UDP so very money was spent on the ship. As a matter of fact on the last night we still had $411 in refundable OBC left. I went to Guest Services and they handed me the OBC in cash.

The shows we saw were entertaining. My favorites were the country/western show and Second City (this was the best Second City Troupe we’ve seen). We almost got into the Newlywed not so Newlywed show but just missed out. Other than the grumpy/drunk newlywed groom the show was great. This was by far the funniest Quest that we have ever seen. It went further than any other we’ve attended.

The crew was great! Everyone had a smile on their face which made you feel welcome.

The buffet is the worst setup I’ve experienced. I understand there’s a Great Outdoors to ease the crowding, but when it’s raining the 1st five days that just doesn’t work.

I know I’ve left stuff out, but thanks for reading. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Final Thoughts (Ramblings)

I would absolutely cruise out of San Juan again. I also would absolutely cruise on Gem again' date=' but not out of NY. The breakfast and lunch perk in Moderno and Cagney’s is great. The menu changes I don’t care for: the breakfast menu change that did away with the crab cake eggs benedict. The seafood version just isn’t the same. Doing away with the chicken parmesan in LaCucina and no more Oreo cheesecake in Cagney’s. All changes for the worse. We had UBP/UDP so very money was spent on the ship. As a matter of fact on the last night we still had $411 in refundable OBC left. I went to Guest Services and they handed me the OBC in cash.

The shows we saw were entertaining. My favorites were the country/western show and Second City (this was the best Second City Troupe we’ve seen). We almost got into the Newlywed not so Newlywed show but just missed out. Other than the grumpy/drunk newlywed groom the show was great. This was by far the funniest Quest that we have ever seen. It went further than any other we’ve attended.

The crew was great! Everyone had a smile on their face which made you feel welcome.

The buffet is the worst setup I’ve experienced. I understand there’s a Great Outdoors to ease the crowding, but when it’s raining the 1st five days that just doesn’t work.

I know I’ve left stuff out, but thanks for reading. [b']Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

[/b]

Wally,

Thanks for the review!... (I assume it is you writing, not Denise)?

Catherine and I will not be on the Gem until February, 2017, but enjoy looking forward.

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello! We will be sailing out of NY on the Norwegian Gem and I am wondering why you wouldn't go that route again? Any tips you may have for us since we will be sailing out of NY? Many thanks!

WE have recently been on the Gem and loved it..

Norwegian Gem 10 day February 17, 2017

Now that u have sailed,

do YOU have any "tips" to suggest to future cruisers?

Hello! We will be sailing out of NY on the Norwegian Gem and I am wondering why you wouldn't go that route again? Any tips you may have for us since we will be sailing out of NY? Many thanks!

Leaving out of NY is not that bad, plus you get incredible views of the city as you sail away. It's probably one of the most impressive sailaways you will experience.

The city is a busy place, but once you reach the pier, it's not too bad. It is set up similar to an airport, where you will pull up on the upper deck, and the baggage porters will be there to greet you and take your bags; once in the terminal, folks will guide you where you need to be. I wouldn't arrive much earlier than 11am, as that is when check in usually begins, and while waiting to check in, seating is limited; once you are checked in, there is suitable seating there. They usually allow you on the ship around 11:30am - noon, and then let the fun begin.

The terminal is busy and can seem crowded, but you get to where you need to go, and just allow a decent amount of time to get to the terminal from wherever you are coming from.

fun to read your review...sorry it was a wash most of the time...how would you rank the ambiance of the specialty restaurants...and which ones had the best food.....thanks

Ambiance was great in all the specialties. Food was nearly perfect and service was great.

In response to Irish couple, if you have never explored NY city ( manhattan) I would highly recommend spending 2-3 days prior or after your cruise to see all the sights...i can't even imagine all the places to see..good luck