Tell me all about Gibbs Cay & what vendor?

mitsugirly

I just discovered this "Gibbs Cay" and swimming with the stingrays. Although we have swam with the stingrays several times in Grand Cayman (and also ran across them several times when snorkeling), I would have to say that my interest in going to Gibbs Cay is not really "swimming/holding the stingray" but to go to the deserted island instead. Swimming with the stingrays is just an added extra I guess. :D

Can anyone share their experiences on going here or pictures?

What vendor was used and what all did it include? I have seen packages ranging from $55 up to $85 (I believe), but I want to hear real life experiences on what you thought about the vendor/excursion.

Do any of them include drinks/meal? Or is it just the "conch salad" from most of them since it's a secluded-uninhibited island where they would not be able to make food.

The only thing that I don't seem to like about any of the tours I have read about is....they are only 2 hours long? :confused: Is there any place out there that's more than 2 hours??? I really want to enjoy it longer than that.

Also, what type of snorkeling is right there from shore? I have read snorkeling from shore and snorkeling from the boat. (I guess it probably depends on the vendor where you get to snorkel?)

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I'm going to copy and paste my review from another site from Dec 2015. The vendor was Grand Turk Diving

When we arrived to the island, we followed the directions given to us upon booking, and easily found the boat waiting for us. The boat while small, was equipped with all equipment necessary and in good condition. Our guide introduced himself, had us sign a paper, and when the other couple came we were on our way.

Our first stop was the infamous wall. We stopped at the area known at the Library. We were the first tour there, and our guide let us know the best spots to snorkel, and a little about the area. I was here about a year ago, and was unimpressed, however, this time changed my mind. The water was crystal clear, and you could see about 100ft down. It was amazing. Our guide basically let us snorkel as long as we wanted, and when we all got back on board, we went to our shallower stop.

This stop was also rather nice, with the water averaging probably twelve feet deep. I unfortunately can't remember the name, but it had a few nurse sharks in the area. Again, we were briefed by our guide and we were in the water. This time we were not the first, and some of the much larger tours arrived. At this point it I thought it was a little strange that our guide did not once get in the water with us, but that did not bother me much, yet.

After given as much time as we wanted, we were off to Gibbs Cay to see the stingrays. This is where the tour got interesting... The boat we were on was rather small, and when we started to head towards Gibbs Cay, our guide said it will be a little rough. Boy was it ever rough, The other members of the tour opted to put on their life jackets, which I could understand, however, I never felt at danger on the trip.

When we arrived at Gibbs Cay, our guide again explained the area, and said we could follow a path for some great views , or we see the stingrays, it was up to us on which we wanted to do first.

We opted to go for a walk up the hill and see the small island. At this time, our guide went as well, and well... never returned until it was time to leave. It appears he went for a walk around the whole island, but again he never returned until we left. While other guides helped handle the stingrays, and dove for conch, ours was gone...The other couple in our party went to another tour group where they offered to show them the stingrays and gave them a little conch as well.

When we left GIbbs Cay, the weather wasn't as bad, and we were able to follow a larger boats wake to make it a little less rough as well. When we arrived back where we were docked, we got off, and gave the guide the rest of what we owed (he was unsure if we had paid already or not).

While I did enjoy this tour, and the sites, I unfortunately decided to go with an average rating solely because the lack of professionalism by the guide. I'm not sure if he was new, or what the issue was with that.

I also took a snorkling trip with Grand Turk Divers. We also went to the wall and a more shallow spot. Then we went to Gibbs Cay. I'm skiddish near Sting Rays so I explored the shore a bit.

Hope these help in your decision

24e10z9.jpg

14092sz.jpg

2m5cmd2.jpg

I'm going to copy and paste my review from another site from Dec 2015. The vendor was Grand Turk Diving

When we arrived to the island, we followed the directions given to us upon booking, and easily found the boat waiting for us. The boat while small, was equipped with all equipment necessary and in good condition. Our guide introduced himself, had us sign a paper, and when the other couple came we were on our way.

Our first stop was the infamous wall. We stopped at the area known at the Library. We were the first tour there, and our guide let us know the best spots to snorkel, and a little about the area. I was here about a year ago, and was unimpressed, however, this time changed my mind. The water was crystal clear, and you could see about 100ft down. It was amazing. Our guide basically let us snorkel as long as we wanted, and when we all got back on board, we went to our shallower stop.

This stop was also rather nice, with the water averaging probably twelve feet deep. I unfortunately can't remember the name, but it had a few nurse sharks in the area. Again, we were briefed by our guide and we were in the water. This time we were not the first, and some of the much larger tours arrived. At this point it I thought it was a little strange that our guide did not once get in the water with us, but that did not bother me much, yet.

After given as much time as we wanted, we were off to Gibbs Cay to see the stingrays. This is where the tour got interesting... The boat we were on was rather small, and when we started to head towards Gibbs Cay, our guide said it will be a little rough. Boy was it ever rough, The other members of the tour opted to put on their life jackets, which I could understand, however, I never felt at danger on the trip.

When we arrived at Gibbs Cay, our guide again explained the area, and said we could follow a path for some great views , or we see the stingrays, it was up to us on which we wanted to do first.

We opted to go for a walk up the hill and see the small island. At this time, our guide went as well, and well... never returned until it was time to leave. It appears he went for a walk around the whole island, but again he never returned until we left. While other guides helped handle the stingrays, and dove for conch, ours was gone...The other couple in our party went to another tour group where they offered to show them the stingrays and gave them a little conch as well.

When we left GIbbs Cay, the weather wasn't as bad, and we were able to follow a larger boats wake to make it a little less rough as well. When we arrived back where we were docked, we got off, and gave the guide the rest of what we owed (he was unsure if we had paid already or not).

While I did enjoy this tour, and the sites, I unfortunately decided to go with an average rating solely because the lack of professionalism by the guide. I'm not sure if he was new, or what the issue was with that.

When you snorkeled (you mentioned that your guide did not enter the water and stayed on the boat) did you only have 1 person from the company with you? I read a review on TA that stated only 1 person was with their group and he had to do everything from driving the boat, to diving with them and so on. They were worried because no one was actually on/with the boat and it could have drifted. So, I thought maybe when you went you only had 1 person with you and that's why they stayed on the boat?

So at Gibbs Cay, the stingrays are just there swimming around all the time? Usually places like that the company will bring squid or something to attract them to the area so that you can interact with them and hold them. I think it's kinda crappy that the guide just went up on the island and stayed there leaving everyone to see the rays by themselves. Yes, I like to explore by myself 99% of the time and not be confined to just a certain area because of a guide, but if that's the case, then you don't really get to touch or hold the rays.

Hopefully, like you said, that the guide was just new or something and it's not always like this.

Can you tell me how long you were actually AT Gibbs Cay? :confused: That's the main reason I want to book the tour and not for the snorkeling areas.

Also, how far down the beach was this place? (For instance was it before or after Jack's Shack?)

I also took a snorkling trip with Grand Turk Divers. We also went to the wall and a more shallow spot. Then we went to Gibbs Cay. I'm skiddish near Sting Rays so I explored the shore a bit.

Hope these help in your decision

Did you have the same problems with your guide as the previous poster? How long did you did you stay at each snorkeling spot? How long were you at Gibbs? Did you notice if the guide was out in the water with the rays while you were there?

Thanks for both comments. :)

The boat was anchored at each location. We had two guides. I don't remember if either went in the water for the two snorkling locations. Both did get out at Gibbs Cay and stayed in the area.

We were at each location for 45 min-1 hour.

There was little to see while snorkling at Gibbs Cay except for the stingrays. They were many around when we showed up. I don't remember them being fed.

The water here was not as clear as the other locations. Right where we got off the boat, there was a drop off of about a foot. One of the guides helped people to get onto shore because the sand was very soft and it was hard to get that huge step up. The water churned there a little and with the people's movements - the sands stirred up the water. Most of the people in our group were tired by that point so after seeing the rays - they were more fascinated by the untouched beach. We did find some cool critters, like crabs that were about the size of a quarter.

When you snorkeled (you mentioned that your guide did not enter the water and stayed on the boat) did you only have 1 person from the company with you? I read a review on TA that stated only 1 person was with their group and he had to do everything from driving the boat, to diving with them and so on. They were worried because no one was actually on/with the boat and it could have drifted. So, I thought maybe when you went you only had 1 person with you and that's why they stayed on the boat?

It was only one guide, so I do understand why he did not get into the water, i just wanted to add it so people who are not strong swimmers were aware of such. In retrospect, i should have worded this more clearly. On the tour it was just myself and 3 other people.

So at Gibbs Cay, the stingrays are just there swimming around all the time? Usually places like that the company will bring squid or something to attract them to the area so that you can interact with them and hold them. I think it's kinda crappy that the guide just went up on the island and stayed there leaving everyone to see the rays by themselves. Yes, I like to explore by myself 99% of the time and not be confined to just a certain area because of a guide, but if that's the case, then you don't really get to touch or hold the rays.

Im not 100 percent sure, but I think it is kinda like stingray city, where the stingrays are in the area, but only come over if you have food. (The other guides were using pieces of conch). The guide anchored the boat and said you can walk up the hill for a good view or hang out here. (There were also 2 other companies anchored in the same area). He helped us off the boat and just kinda walked off until it was time to go.

Hopefully, like you said, that the guide was just new or something and it's not always like this.

The owner of the company did reply to my review stating it was a new guide and they would look into it.

Can you tell me how long you were actually AT Gibbs Cay? :confused: That's the main reason I want to book the tour and not for the snorkeling areas.

If i had to guess it was 30 to 45 min max. The sea was rough on the way out there and we had to take it slow out there, so that may have cut into pur alotted time.

Also, how far down the beach was this place? (For instance was it before or after Jack's Shack?)

Im about 90 percent sure it is before jacks. It was a quick walk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

The boat was anchored at each location. We had two guides. I don't remember if either went in the water for the two snorkling locations. Both did get out at Gibbs Cay and stayed in the area.

We were at each location for 45 min-1 hour.

There was little to see while snorkling at Gibbs Cay except for the stingrays. They were many around when we showed up. I don't remember them being fed.

The water here was not as clear as the other locations. Right where we got off the boat, there was a drop off of about a foot. One of the guides helped people to get onto shore because the sand was very soft and it was hard to get that huge step up. The water churned there a little and with the people's movements - the sands stirred up the water. Most of the people in our group were tired by that point so after seeing the rays - they were more fascinated by the untouched beach. We did find some cool critters, like crabs that were about the size of a quarter.

Thank you for all your replies and help. I appreciate it. Did they provide you with life jackets when snorkeling?

It was only one guide, so I do understand why he did not get into the water, i just wanted to add it so people who are not strong swimmers were aware of such. In retrospect, i should have worded this more clearly. On the tour it was just myself and 3 other people.

Im not 100 percent sure, but I think it is kinda like stingray city, where the stingrays are in the area, but only come over if you have food. (The other guides were using pieces of conch). The guide anchored the boat and said you can walk up the hill for a good view or hang out here. (There were also 2 other companies anchored in the same area). He helped us off the boat and just kinda walked off until it was time to go.

The owner of the company did reply to my review stating it was a new guide and they would look into it.

If i had to guess it was 30 to 45 min max. The sea was rough on the way out there and we had to take it slow out there, so that may have cut into pur alotted time.

Im about 90 percent sure it is before jacks. It was a quick walk.

Did they provide you will life jackets and all equipment needed to snorkel? We have our own snorkeling equipment, but if they provide it, it might be worth it to use theirs (at least their fins if provided).

How far is the walk up the hill? Is it very steep? Is it a good opportunity for pictures or not worth it?

Good to hear that they owner confirmed that the guide was new and hopefully this isn't a frequent occurrence.

Thanks so much for you help and answering my questions. I appreciate it. :)

Yes they provided life jackets (inflatable kind). They are the florescent things in the 3rd of my pictures.

Here is the description I have from my reservation:

A 4 hour leisurely tour that will show you some of the best snorkeling sites in The Turks & Caicos Islands. Your boat Captain/Personal Guide are at your service for the day. He will choose the best spots to stop on the day due to weather conditions and passenger abilities, he will point out marine life you may not usually see and educate you in our delicate eco-system. Gibbs Cay- home to the stingray, trunk fish and other marine life is also a popular destination, to enhance your enjoyment of this truly tropical isle we endeavor to stop on the white sand beach of this uninhabited island when there are no other boats pulled into the shallows.

Cost - up to 10 people $600 - 12 people $700 Time: approx 4 hours +

Includes: Beach pick up and drop off 200 yards from the cruise ship pier at our beach location situated in Local Village. We include all your equipment and a cooler with water and soda. If you would like anything else, snacks, fruit, rum punch or beer just ask! Lunch is also available upon request.

Please note we DO NOT feed the stingrays as this unbalances the natural behavior and diet of our marine friends. Children are welcome; a parent or guardian must be with the little ones at all times.

I believe they will customize the trip for you - as long as everyone in your group agree. But I can't imagine spending much more than 45 min there unless you really want to wander the island.

And here is the "directions" I got in that email:

When you disembark your ship, go to the end of the pier and turn LEFT heading North up the beach. Go past the flow rider and the beach chairs, past "One Love" restaurant and about 1200' from the head of the pier you will find us in "Local Village". The boat will be backed up to the beach and say "Grand Turk Diving" on the side. You can find our shop under the red and white dive flag in the corner of the "Local Village" complex. This is where you can get fitted out with gear and make any payments.

Did they provide you will life jackets and all equipment needed to snorkel? We have our own snorkeling equipment, but if they provide it, it might be worth it to use theirs (at least their fins if provided).

Yes they provide everything. From the best I can remember it is the basic rental equipment you get with 90% of other vendors.

How far is the walk up the hill? Is it very steep? Is it a good opportunity for pictures or not worth it?

The walk up the hill wasnt very far or hard. It was a sandy path so that makes it slightly more strenuous. If it is a windy day you will be getting hit by sand hard enough for it to sting though. Its a nice view, I'll post a few pics from when I went.

2125pqw.jpg

Here is where you can see the 3 boats that were anchored there. Ours was the one in the middle with the red top. To the left you can see the group with their guides interacting with the stingray, to the right was a larger tour.

jujr0n.jpg

33bilap.jpg

54vceh.jpg

zjup1d.jpg

On the small path up the hill there were a bunch of these little guys around.

Thanks to both of you for answering my questions.

This is definitely something I want to do.

Where exactly is the "wall" located at? Is it close to BOHIO? Or the other side of the island facing Gibbs? Just wondering.

I think I may go with Grand Turk as well only because the only other vendor that I can find, that will go ONLY to Gibbs Cay instead of all the snorkeling, is BOHIO. But, there's no pricing or anything on their website. So, I contacted them and got some crazy response about I would have to pay for a taxi to get to their place, then I was welcome to hang out there and eat and drink there and rent chairs for $xxx and so on, and it did not answer ANY of my questions (which all related to their excursion ONLY to Gibbs Cay) and the only reply I got about it was "when are you coming"...does the price depend on that? That kinda threw me off. So, I'd much rather just walk down the beach, hop on a boat, and go. None of this taxi to BOHIO and then other stuff. :cool:

Where exactly is the "wall" located at? Is it close to BOHIO? Or the other side of the island facing Gibbs? Just wondering.

This should give you a good idea... It is to the west of the island. The cruise port is approx to the right of TIKI HUT

Grand-Turk-Diving-Map.jpg

Here is one of the pictures I took while snorkeling at the wall looking straight down.

2isa0ih.jpg

Edited by VermeulT

This should give you a good idea... It is to the west of the island. The cruise port is approx to the right of TIKI HUT

Here is one of the pictures I took while snorkeling at the wall looking straight down.

Thanks for the pictures of the dive/snorkel areas. I also found this picture as well.

71f71580e423ccff77d140fca756af84_zps8v25w9uv.jpg

I guess I was having a hard time trying to figure out this wall and on your map provided I seen it said "Gorgorian Wall" and thought that was where it's located. But I think after finding my pic, the "wall" actually is something that runs up and down that side of the island and not just a certain area. So, I guess that means when they say they take you to the wall, it could be anywhere up and down that side.

That pic of the wall...that stuff freaks me out. Like seriously. That's one of the reasons I don't want the "snorkeling" portion of any excursion there. I would rather just go to Gibbs and hang out for the day. I experienced a "wall" once in Roatan and didn't know it was there prior and it totally freaked me out. I don't like looking down into something you can't see the bottom and can't tell what's down there. Yikes.

BOHIO has (on their website) that they do a boat ride to Gibbs, but when I contacted them, I got a lame email the first time about coming to their place to hang out and after emailing them again about their Gibbs Cay excursion, I was told they "couldn't offer this excursion at this time due to not knowing what the weather would be like" :eek: Um seriously? That's the case with ANY excursion for ANY vendor and the weather conditions will never be known until arrival. But for them to turn me down 4 months ahead of time, well, I definitely won't be using them for sure. We didn't have the "best" experience when we went to BOHIO the last time to hang out. I guess that should have gave me a clue not to use them in the first place or try to again. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I'll go with the other vendor. :)

That pic of the wall...that stuff freaks me out. Like seriously. That's one of the reasons I don't want the "snorkeling" portion of any excursion there. I would rather just go to Gibbs and hang out for the day. I experienced a "wall" once in Roatan and didn't know it was there prior and it totally freaked me out. I don't like looking down into something you can't see the bottom and can't tell what's down there. Yikes.

Yes - the wall runs pretty much the entire length of the island.

I thought snorkeling at the wall was cool. The ground was probably 15-20 feet below (too far to stand) but the water was crystal clear. And the fish out there were different.

If you're scared about looking into nothing, you can float over the part before the drop off. Or just take in some sunshine on the boat at that stop.

Yes - the wall runs pretty much the entire length of the island.

I thought snorkeling at the wall was cool. The ground was probably 15-20 feet below (too far to stand) but the water was crystal clear. And the fish out there were different.

If you're scared about looking into nothing, you can float over the part before the drop off. Or just take in some sunshine on the boat at that stop.

Thanks for the info. While there's no way I would probably stay on the boat, I will just float over top of the part before the drop off. I don't know why I'm freaked out about this. I just know that it scared me last time I came to a drop off. Maybe it was just because I was unaware that it was there and it caught me off guard.

Thanks for your help.