Bringing Soda On Board

Goodness me! And to think I was entertaining the thought of "smugglin" in a little bottle of liquour to sip on the balcony in the wee hours! (smile) Is packing a favorite brand in your bags really a huge no-no on a cruise?

It is considered to be a no-no, but we had no problems with a bottle of crown (see other posts about how this is done) and a couple bottles of wine that the waiters opened for us at dinner...however this was on another line and I am anxious to see if it is do-able on RCCL...:rolleyes:

First off, I bought the soda card on my last cruise (RCCL - Serenade of the Seas), and for me, it was such a waste of money. Apparently, I don't drink nearly as much of it as I honestly thought, and I only bought it because...

Secondly, I brought quite a few bottles of local rums onboard at nearly every port, and thought if one ended up sampling onboard was not so pleasant, I would mix it with some soda, which never happened, so I ended up getting maybe 2 sodas the entire week (feeling obligated because I bought the card). (Keep in mind that unless you are an all out Pepsi etc. addict, you can pick up some unusual tasty sodas in local markets at port, so no need to bring them with you - explore with your tastebuds!). Besides, while it needs ice cubes, the tap water in our room wasn't bad (strangely warm though), and juice is free during meals, and snacks, and buffets, and...

In conclusion: FOR ME- the soda card was a waste of money, and they often don't take your liquor (though several times I wished that they had so that I didn't have to lug it back up to the room!)

P.S. - If your'e going to the Caribbean, a nice ice cold bottle of water (or cold local beer - "Carib", "Banks" or "Pitons") is going to be your best friend, not soda ;) , not to mention that you CANNOT USE THE CARDS TO GET SODA FROM ROOM SERVICE, and they will not give you pitchers of it either, so you are anchored to the bar/restaurant every time you want a small cup! That's where things went bad for us with the soda cards. I would also like to note that the room service iced tea (in pitchers upon request, with a bowl full of lemons on the side) was fresh brewed, very cold, and very refreshing, and you can also get whole or skim milk from room service (no fee).

JMHO!:)

I'm into iced green tea these days, decided soda is not that good for you anyway. Bottled water mixed with my powder tea and I will be happy.

On our first cruise we found a Walmart in St Thomas and brought a 12 pack back to the room. We also picked up large plastic mugs with lids and filled them with ice tea or juice at the buffet and we where set of the day.

My Dh and I drink more than our 8 glass of water a day.

I am one of those persns who need to have a drink next to my bed at night.

I know I will take some bottled water with me.

My two cents about the cards. DH and I always get them, not for the "syrup" sodas, but for the club soda/seltzer. We're not fond of fountain soft drinks and much prefer cans, which we bring onboard (along with club soda for the cabin when we don't want to schlep down to the bar). However, we are club soda fiends (besides 1 or 2 diet cokes, it's just about all my DH drinks) and the fountain club soda onboard has been consistently very good to excellent. You can ask for a large glass, light ice and the bartenders will usually oblige.

We've found that for some reason the sodas from the inside bars, lounges, etc. is much tastier than from the outside ones. I don't know why, but the outside ones always seem to have an "off" taste. Very weird.

Learning Conformity: For you, the card was definitely a waste of money. Bummer. I am not much of a beer drinker, but have to say that I loved Carib. Boy do I wish we could get that here. It was so yummy. And one last thing, since they only serve Coke products (and not all of those either), even addicts will want/need to bring their favorites onboard anyway.

beachchick

First off, let me say that I love all the posts on this thread. Secondly, on our last cruise, we each took a 6 pack of pepsi/diet pepsi (palstic bottles) with us. DH drank maybe 1/2 of a bottle and I drank 1. I found that we drank mostly iced tea or water from the beverage fountains (really cold and the tap water is not bad at all). Or the drink of the day...hiccup...Also at the begining of the cruise we bought a large bottle of water (it's was only $3.00) and we would fill it up with ice and take that with us, the ice melted and we had water at the ready (cold too) We found that we rarely ventured back to our cabin unless it was to change clothes or go to bed, so for us we could have left more room in the luggage for....hmmm...I dunno.....SHOES maybe:p

When we go in May, with the kidddies (all 6 of them:eek: )we have been debating on what to do. DH wants to get a card for the older ones, I say let them carry on a 6 pk of 20 oz. bottles of what they want and when they run out, if they do, tough nouggies. But we'll see what happens.

Jenny, we got a bottle of crown on with no problems, however DH only mixed 1 drink from it though (hence the 1/2 coke). Like I said, just wasn't convenient for us.From what I have read there are some ports that are a tad more laid back thank others. Just wrap it carefully and put it in your checked luggage. The most they can do is make you throw it away. Unless we are talking about a really really BIG bottle!:D

***I have found that on these boards, I have to be really careful of what I say and not to step on anybody's toes...so if someone out there takes offence to what I have written or to my opinions, I AM VERY SORRY:(

The cruise we just did a couple of weeks ago on the Grandeur we carried some soda on in a soft cooler, and my sister checked a bunch in her luggage. When we got off on Key West, all of us brought back cases of bottled water back on the boat. All they served on the Grandeur was Dannon bottled water - blech. So, we had to get some of our own. No problems for us getting it on board.

Does anyone know if you can get Dt. 7-up (not Dt. Sprite) in San Juan or any of the other islands? We are going on the Serenade and I have to have my Dt. 7-up. We will be going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. Just wondered how much to bring with me. Thanks.

I'm probably gonna take a few cans of diet coke w/ lime, that is the only soda I drink and very little of that. Although, I did have a bit of Fresca the other day, and I kinda liked it....think it would have been better if it were colder. I bet if I take a six pack I'll bring 2 cans home. :) I love unsweetened iced tea, so that will be my drink of choice on board. (Well, that and CoCo LoCo's on CoCo Cay!) I might bring a small flask of rum, haven't decided yet. I probably won't....depends if I make it to a liquor store today or tomorrow and if they have anything good in small bottles. I'm certainly not gonna wander around Miami looking for booze. :D I really don't drink all that much anyway, and since I'm travelling alone, getting sloshed is probably not a great idea. :) No beer or wine....too much trouble for such a short cruise. But to each their own.

Gail (who won't drink fountain soda even if it was FREE! :D )

I'll spend the $42 before I drag soda on board to save $20.

Maybe if everyone stopped bring their own soda, prices wouldn't be so high on board. I no, you don't agree, just my thoughts.

Well, since I have to drink diet drinks, and can't have caffeine, that gives me a choice of water or, let's see, oh yeah, water, on board. So, I carry on my own Caffeine Free Diet Coke or Fresca. Has nothing to do with spending $42. Although my husband who once bought a soda card, had so much difficulty with it, he's never done it again and now carries his own on board also. (The difficulty is you can only use your soda card at one (or was it 2?) of the bars. At dinner, he had to have the bar waiter get it for him (extra tip) and it was usually served in a small glass, so he would need a second one before dinner was over, but it was difficult by then to get the waiter back and then return with a drink, before dinner was over. Just a hassle. We walk on board with our drinks on a wheeled luggage cart, in plain site, and nobody has ever questioned it.

Well, since I have to drink diet drinks, and can't have caffeine, that gives me a choice of water or, let's see, oh yeah, water, on board. plain .

DH has same concerns. He prefers diet clear sodas since he can't have sugar and very little caffeine. He plans on taking his caffeine free tea bags but we will have to take some diet,caffeine free soda on board. Since we will be in San Juan 2 days early I plan on getting it there.

I know the cruise lines can't have everything, if they did we would pay the $ as it would be one less thing to worry about.

Some suggestions to the DIET soda, pop, problem is crystal lite has a "to go" product that you can pour into bottle water. Crystal lite gives me a belly ache so i don't use it. I do get a diet green tea and lemonade at Big Lots. It comes in little tubs. I plan on bringing 2 containers. Think there are 5 tubs in each container. I am bring a 6 pack of water and plan to refill them. I also have some PUR water bottles and i'm debating if i will bring them or not.

On Serenade I rolled from VA to San Juan with 2 twelve packs of Diet Dr. Pepper for my private enjoyment. As they said, they do not serve Pepsi products on board. I do not think you are allowed to carry beer on anymore, much to my husbands dismay. I too ended up with an empty suitcase for all of my souveniers. Our room stewards were happy to take the leftovers and I was happy to share the "Pep".

DH has same concerns. He prefers diet clear sodas since he can't have sugar and very little caffeine. He plans on taking his caffeine free tea bags but we will have to take some diet,caffeine free soda on board. Since we will be in San Juan 2 days early I plan on getting it there.

I know the cruise lines can't have everything, if they did we would pay the $ as it would be one less thing to worry about.

My last cruise I found Diet Sprite, plus caffeine free teas. The Diet Sprite was scarce (only found it in one bar) but I was able to get caffeine-free tea bags in the Cafe Promenade, the dining room, and the Windjammer. I never tried to get any from room service but I bet you could get some.

Archived