Nor Sky this Jan

FirstRodeo

Hi everyone. Never been on a cruise before. My mom and I are doing a 3-day Bahama cruise this January.

Have any of you cruised with Norwegian Sky before? If so, did you HAVE to make reservations for dinner if you wanted to go to the specialty restaurants, or could you just decide day of?

I heard that rooms typically aren't ready until 2 pm, so it was suggested via a cruiser blog to actually hold off on getting on the boat until then because if not... you'll be lugging your luggage around until your room is ready (the thought of that just stinks and is not so relaxing). Curious if this is true?

For anyone that cruised in January... were you able to still enjoy and hang out on deck at the pool? Just unsure of what to expect (coming from West Virginia winter weather!).

Excursions. Geesh. All of this is overwhelming! Do you HAVE to book excursions before hand, or can you decide morning of? For example, snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay... do we HAVE to sign up for that before hand from your experience? Is it stressful at the different ports trying to organize everything?

I keep seeing all of this stuff about water. Haha.. am I allowed to bring a refillable water bottle... or do I have to spend the 70$ on a pack of water?

Other than that, do any of you have any tips or suggestions or things to avoid that have cruised with Norwegian Sky before? Open to anything and everything!

Thanks guys.

Hi everyone. Never been on a cruise before. My mom and I are doing a 3-day Bahama cruise this January.

Have any of you cruised with Norwegian Sky before? If so, did you HAVE to make reservations for dinner if you wanted to go to the specialty restaurants, or could you just decide day of?

I heard that rooms typically aren't ready until 2 pm, so it was suggested via a cruiser blog to actually hold off on getting on the boat until then because if not... you'll be lugging your luggage around until your room is ready (the thought of that just stinks and is not so relaxing). Curious if this is true?

For anyone that cruised in January... were you able to still enjoy and hang out on deck at the pool? Just unsure of what to expect (coming from West Virginia winter weather!).

Excursions. Geesh. All of this is overwhelming! Do you HAVE to book excursions before hand, or can you decide morning of? For example, snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay... do we HAVE to sign up for that before hand from your experience? Is it stressful at the different ports trying to organize everything?

I keep seeing all of this stuff about water. Haha.. am I allowed to bring a refillable water bottle... or do I have to spend the 70$ on a pack of water?

Other than that, do any of you have any tips or suggestions or things to avoid that have cruised with Norwegian Sky before? Open to anything and everything!

Thanks guys.

Hi, I'm from WV, too! I also did the sky as my first cruise in January of 2014. Perfect first cruise. I'm going to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

I never ate at the specialty restaurants on the Sky. However I have ate at the specialty restaurants on other NCL ships. I would always advise you to make reservations. Later in the evening (after 7:30) you should be able to be seated without a reservation.

As for the luggage. You typically give your luggage to the porter outside (with your name and room number on it) before you go through security and the check in process. We only bring on a carry on with us, just with the few things we need for the next couple hours. (Swim suit, change of clothes, toiletries..) Your luggage will be delivered to your room a few hours after you have boarded. I personally would go early to grab lunch and get familiar with the ship.

Luckily the weather has always been great for us. We were able to enjoy the pool each day. We have cruised the last 3 years in January from Miami to Bahamas/Caribbean. Great to get away from the cold WV weather.

I've never booked an excursion. If going to Great Stirrup Cay just enjoy the beach. If you enjoy snorkeling, you can rent when you get there. Where is your other port? Nassau?

Yes just bring a refillable water bottle with you. Fill it up before you leave the ship each day so you don't have to purchase as much off ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most of these questions can be found on the NCL board, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

as they have to do with NCL policy and procedures, not Florida.

No, you don't have to buy water on board, or carry more than one refillable bottle of water aboard. The water on board is just fine, free, tastes great, and doesn't come with a plastic waste problem.

Wow!! Thank you! That was a huge help. It's nice to hear answers from someone who has been!

We are really looking forward to this short get away :)

And yep! Our last stop is Nassau.

Thanks again

You're welcome.

When you stop at Great Stirrup Cay you can use your beverage package on the island. You won't have to bring your water bottle. They have bars there where you can get cocktails, water, and soda free with your package. They also provide a lunch BBQ buffet that is complementary. Try the star fruit!

I've only been to Nassau once. We spent our day checking out the local town. Very pretty architecture. Then we took a ferry ($8 I think) over to paradise island to see Atlantis and their grounds. It's absolutely beautiful there. You can see a lot for free without having to pay the the $199 for the day. Great pictures.

I think some local hotels have day passes to use their beach and facilities for a low fee. Maybe the Hilton in Nassau??

Other advice is to try conch while I was in Bahamas. Conch salad or conch fritters.

I also advise traveling to Florida a day early before you cruise sets sail. Just so you can make sure you make it in time to the ship and have a moment to rest up for your adventure.

Enjoy your cruise. If you have any other question please don't hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Usually the weather is nice, but you could get chilly days or rainy days in January. Last January I went on a 4 night cruise and it rained the whole time so we were stuck indoors (we only got off the ship once for a few hours), but that is unusual.