Belize Safety

jungles0726

So, we're going on our second Carnival cruise (Glory) at the end of this month and one of our stops is Belize. I'm reading all kinds of scary stuff about crimes on tourists and am wondering what others have recently experienced. I'd hate to not get off the ship and see the beauty of Belize but honestly, if it's a risk, I'd just assume rest on the boat. Any valuable input is welcomed.

IMO, the cruise port area is safe. The area around the cruise port from the lighthouse to the swing bridge to the marine parade along the ocean side is safe The two major streets in downtown Belize after crossing the swing bridge are safe. Taking a bus or taxi or vendor van to the ruins, or cavetubing or zip lining is safe. Water taxi to Caye Caulker and Caye Caulker are safe. Of course these are all daylight times. I have seen news flashes of crime in various parts of Belize City after dark. But despite what some of the easily spooked cruisers on these boards say, you're not going to walk out of the cruise port and find a gang of thugs waiting or lone men in masks lurking in the shadows. You will find fairly aggressive tour hawkers outside. but once away from the cruise center , they disappear and a simple No Thanks turns most away.

Edited by crewsweeper

Yep!

Brodies is kind of a "general store". Groceries, furniture, tools , clothing, etc.

Nearest one is just over the swing bridge. Hang a left out of the cruise center on Fort Street/Front Street and go up about 3 blocks or so to the swing bridge on your left, cross over and bear left down Regent Street. It's about 3-4 blocks down on your right. On you way back stop at Bird's Isle for a nice lunch with a view of the port harbor. or cross back over the swing bridge and head a block down Queen Street to Nerries for some excellent local Belizean food.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep!

Brodies is kind of a "general store". Groceries, furniture, tools , clothing, etc.

Nearest one is just over the swing bridge. Hang a left out of the cruise center on Fort Street/Front Street and go up about 3 blocks or so to the swing bridge on your left, cross over and bear left down Regent Street. It's about 3-4 blocks down on your right. On you way back stop at Bird's Isle for a nice lunch with a view of the port harbor. or cross back over the swing bridge and head a block down Queen Street to Nerries for some excellent local Belizean food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got back from Belize last week.

It is safe to walk. We walk out of the compound.

Walk in pair. We only walk on the side street where there are cars going up and down. There are tourists walking outside too.

People are friendly.

We walk to left of the bride but Brodies is closed after Boxing day.

Next time I will walk even more.

The tender is too far.

Edited by chong67