Golf cart vs. ATV?

aliahdance

Just went through the first 3 pages of threads on this board trying to figure out what to do in Grand Turk. There are 2 of us and we'll be there on a Monday in February (7am-2pm ship time), we'll be the only ship in port at that time.

Definitely want to check out the conch graveyard and the shipwreck.

Wondering if anyone has rented both a golf cart and ATV? Which did you prefer?

Edited by aliahdance

The ship wreck is at Governors Beach, that's an easy golf cart ride (or a walk) from the cruise port. You can walk down inside the cruise port tot he more popular conch graveyard. An ATV would probably be a good bet if you wanted to take the road past the helicopter pad or with a map, drive around some of the roads by the salt marsh. But otherwise a golf cart will get you to the lighthouse, downtown, and all around. My suggestion is to go by price and better reviews of vendors for these.

The ship wreck is at Governors Beach, that's an easy golf cart ride (or a walk) from the cruise port. You can walk down inside the cruise port tot he more popular conch graveyard. An ATV would probably be a good bet if you wanted to take the road past the helicopter pad or with a map, drive around some of the roads by the salt marsh. But otherwise a golf cart will get you to the lighthouse, downtown, and all around. My suggestion is to go by price and better reviews of vendors for these.

Thank you! Can we get to the conch graveyard by golf cart/ATV? I thought I read somewhere that we need to walk there from the cruise port?

This may be a silly question but we've never driven at a port before. How does driving a golf cart/ATV work in Grand Turk? Do we just use the same road as cars but stay off to the left side?

You need to walk to the conch graveyard. But as I mentioned there is a path by the helipad that goes to the east beach and you can walk to Boaby Point and the conch shells from there. Short walk, but only do this in an ATV, not a golf cart.

Driving is English system. on the left not right, but there's not a lot of traffic and you use the same roads. Quite easy really.

We rented a golf cart when we were there last and had a blast. But we went all over the island all the way up to the lighthouse and then stopped by BOHIO at the beach for awhile, and then to Governors. We had previously walked down to the conch graveyard on a cruise prior to that, so we didn't include it in our day this last time around.

I have reviews on both times listed in my signature line if you are interested in reading what we did and there's TONS of pictures. :)

We rented a golf cart when we were there last and had a blast. But we went all over the island all the way up to the lighthouse and then stopped by BOHIO at the beach for awhile, and then to Governors. We had previously walked down to the conch graveyard on a cruise prior to that, so we didn't include it in our day this last time around.

I have reviews on both times listed in my signature line if you are interested in reading what we did and there's TONS of pictures. :)

Which company did you rent your cart from? But, more importantly, thank you for all of the beautiful pictures and information that you have in your signature line!! I loved seeing where we'll be going to in February! Thanks again.

Which company did you rent your cart from? But, more importantly, thank you for all of the beautiful pictures and information that you have in your signature line!! I loved seeing where we'll be going to in February! Thanks again.

We used Wet Money to rent the golf cart. :)

Thanks for the comments about the info/pictures. I appreciate it. Have a wonderful cruise in Feb.

crewsweeper and mitsugirly, we're leaning towards renting a golf cart (more comfortable). To go to the conch graveyard though, should we walk there first thing when we get off the ship (docking at 7am) and then walk back to the port to rent the golf cart?

newmil, which ship will you be on? We'll be on the Carnival Conquest departing Fort Lauderdale on February 4th.

Edited by aliahdance

crewsweeper and mitsugirly, we're leaning towards renting a golf cart (more comfortable). To go to the conch graveyard though, should we walk there first thing when we get off the ship (docking at 7am) and then walk back to the port to rent the golf cart?

newmil, which ship will you be on? We'll be on the Carnival Conquest departing Fort Lauderdale on February 4th.

My preference would be to do the golf cart first and then come back with enough time to walk to the conch graveyard prior to getting on the ship. But that's just me. :) I always like to go do other activities first and then spend a little time in port prior to getting back on the ship.

I second Kim's idea of golf cart first then conch grave yard, port. Also keep in mind that sometimes the golf carts are over booked or if by a certain time they have some untaken, they rent them out to walk-ins. So you could be SOL on a cart or even get a bad cart refused by others if you wait.

We were three people so we rented a jeep. They take the sides And top off if the weather is good And sunny, we felt bad for all the people in the golf carts because they can only go slow... we went up to the lighthouse. Opportunity to drive on the 'other side' of the street was so neat. At the light house we were able to get cheap really cold beers.... and walk about. Our daughter (20) drove us back ... parked the jeep At jacks shack and spend a bit of time there. It was well worth the extra to have the jeep!

We were just there on Christmas Day. Had pre reserved 2 golf carts through Karib. Mixed reviews on here, but only vendor that was responsive and we had a great experience with them. Only complaint and really wasn't an issue was that one cart was faster than the other (only cared because our young adult kids cared lol!). I agree with the others, definitely do the cart first, return it and do anything else you want. Ours was guaranteed held for one hour after ships arrival (they track the ships) unless we notified them otherwise. We went down to lighthouse, paid our $3 entry fee which is in turn put toward any purchase at the snack shack or gift shop, then to Pillory beach to look around, on to Governors to hang for a while and stopped at Jacks Shack where my family decided they didn't want to stay (bummer). Returned carts and hung at beach at the port before getting back on the ship. Driving was just fine and I'm a worry wart! There is little to no traffic and they all are very aware of the tourists and even honk and wave before and during passing you! We enjoyed our day, hope you do too!

My preference would be to do the golf cart first and then come back with enough time to walk to the conch graveyard prior to getting on the ship. But that's just me. :) I always like to go do other activities first and then spend a little time in port prior to getting back on the ship.

Thanks mistugirly and crewsweeper!

I guess I was just hoping to go to the conch graveyard first to get first dibs lol, but I will do what you suggested.

I've been emailing Wet Money back and forth - They are very slow to respond! :(

Edited by aliahdance

Thanks mistugirly and crewsweeper!

I guess I was just hoping to go to the conch graveyard first to get first dibs lol, but I will do what you suggested.

I've been emailing Wet Money back and forth - They are very slow to respond! :(

I wouldn't worry about getting "first dibs"...trust me, there's plenty enough for everyone. :D They are just everywhere.

P4080005%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P4080246%20copy-M.jpg

That's just a small area we were standing in. You will also find some pretty nice ones that people pick up when there, trying to find the best one, and then along the way back to the port area, they will leave them along in the sand (those are actually sometimes some of the best). So no worries. They are just everywhere along there. :)

I wouldn't worry about getting "first dibs"...trust me, there's plenty enough for everyone. :D They are just everywhere.

P4080005%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

P4080246%20copy-M.jpg

That's just a small area we were standing in. You will also find some pretty nice ones that people pick up when there, trying to find the best one, and then along the way back to the port area, they will leave them along in the sand (those are actually sometimes some of the best). So no worries. They are just everywhere along there. :)

Thanks for the reassurance! :D