Little Havana & More; Our Vista Cruise

Rosethorn40

The Havana Experience! The Thermal Suite! Chef's Table! and More

Just returned from a 7-day cruise on the Vista (December 17-24) and wanted to share my thoughts, experience, and opinions of the Vista. My opinion is just that, mine, and based on my expectations and experiences. Others on the same sailing may have a different view point, their opinions based on their expectations and their experiences.

A little background, we have always traveled as a couple. This was our 27th cruise, 5th on Carnival (We turned Gold on this sailing). Most of our cruises have been on Princess, and we have recently begun river cruising (Viking), which we love. We do like Carnival very much, and feel it offers excellent value, and a good time, especially in the Caribbean.

I had booked this cruise nearly two years ago, as a way to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. I had wanted this to be a truly memorable trip for my husband, and was willing to do anything I could think of to make special. So to that end I booked our first ever suite, a Havana Cabana Suite. I had a lot of things planned, but life has a way of changing the best laid plans.

Our cruise didn't start until Saturday, but we flew down on Thursday afternoon for two reasons. A) I didn't want to risk missing the ship due to weather, strikes, or any other calamity. A two day buffer would allow for us to drive down from West Virginia if need be. B) This would give us an opportunity to look around Miami. We have sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale a number of times, but never Miami and I wanted to see the sights.

When it came time for booking flights I found for us, the best deals were BWI (Baltimore/Washington) *to FLL (Ft. Lauderdale). I finally settled on JetBlue. Our flight was uneventful and arrived on time. We quickly retrieved our luggage and got a taxi. Because I had booked a smaller hotel in Miami Beach a taxi was our best option for transportation as the hotel did not have a shuttle and the shuttle service from FLL did not go there. The taxi cost me $75 plus tip for the two of us.

We got to our hotel, Circa 39, which is in the Art Deco section of hotels in Miami. While on Collins Ave, its on a quieter stretch of Collins Ave. Really loved the hotel décor, the room was comfortable, and their restaurant, while a bit pricy even for lite fare, was really good. The first night, since it was late we got a Cubana Sandwich (Delicious) and a Sangria, and the bill, with added gratuity, tax, etc. was $77.***

The exterior of our hotel

IMG_3869_zps9dtfjl3b.jpg

Our hotel was across the street from the beach, but had its own area, just like all the hotels in South Beach, where you could get a couple of loungers and a sun umbrella

IMG_3870_zpsvgymmvii.jpg

Our room. A standard, with King bed

IMG_3971_zpssdew8pbu.jpg

We waited less than half an hour in the priority lounge before boarding began (11:15-11:30) and we were finally on board. We boarded at the front of the ship, took an elevator to deck 5, and began making our way to the Havana area.

I didn't think our room would be ready, but*there they were, our*Sail &*Sign cards in an envelope, in the mailbox. We dropped off our bags, checked out the cabin (More on that later), met our neighbors while checking out the patio, and it was off to The Pig & Anchor for some BBQ (more on that later).*Back in our stateroom I looked*to see if we had received anything about our reservations for the steakhouse (no) or Chef's Table (no). So I went to the steakhouse to inquire.

After confirming our reservations for Fahrenheit 555 for*that night I asked if they could tell me the night of our Chef's Table (I had received a confirmation email in March). The lady at the desk went through her notebook, but our name wasn't appearing on her lists for any of the nights. Naturally I didn't have my print out with me, but I wasn't budging. She finally called over the Maitre d' who started shaking her head. I told her when I had received my confirmation, and she brought up her emails, and there it was. Suddenly, I had a date; Tuesday, December 20th (San Juan). I have my suspicions that it was lost, but when confronted with my confirmation they made a Chefs Table for a night they originally didn't schedule one (The*day we were to be in San Juan the ship wasn't scheduled to leave until 11pm). When we got to our Chef's Table I asked a few people and one couple had been waitlisted, and was confirmed Tuesday morning, and at least two others were moved from their original dates. We also had 4 empty spaces at our table, and it supposedly had been fully booked weeks ago, but there were now empty spaces? Makes me wonder.***

We were on the Magic and in port with you in San Juan and in Grand Turk. The Vista (aside from being a little bigger structurally, maybe more balcony cabins and the skyride tracks) did not look a whole lot different than the Magic.

The things we could see when we were docked next to the Vista looked pretty much the same layout on the outside decks. Sports deck looked a lot like Magic with things in same location (water slides, basketball court, ropes course etc.). That being said, it was impressive to stand on the dock and look up.

We were in St. Thomas with NCL Escape, definitely bigger and a lot more balcony cabins. Funny how we thought the Magic looked huge until we docked next to these 2 ships.

We were on the Magic and in port with you in San Juan and in Grand Turk. The Vista (aside from being a little bigger structurally, maybe more balcony cabins and the skyride tracks) did not look a whole lot different than the Magic.

The things we could see when we were docked next to the Vista looked pretty much the same layout on the outside decks. Sports deck looked a lot like Magic with things in same location (water slides, basketball court, ropes course etc.). That being said, it was impressive to stand on the dock and look up.

We were in St. Thomas with NCL Escape, definitely bigger and a lot more balcony cabins. Funny how we thought the Magic looked huge until we docked next to these 2 ships.

We sailed on the Magic back in 2013, and loved it (We had a Spa Cabin-so nice). Funny, I had remarked to someone that the Vista didn't appear that much larger, at least in length, to the Magic.

Once you get inside the differences are more apparent.

I took these photos the night we were side by side in Grand Turk (Deck 5, aft).

IMG_4129_zpsdtdfsknz.jpg

IMG_4130_zpsddy323fo.jpg

For months I've been trying to find all the photos, reviews, etc. I could about the Havana area as this was the primary reason to book this cruise (The ports were of little interest to me). My expectations were that during the day the Havana pool area would be a quiet oasis, and the*cabins with patios on Deck 5 would give a more social experience. And I would say that both of my expectations were met.

But first to the cabin. We had one of four Havana Suites. The sleeping area had a*king size bed*that was comfortable. We each had two fluffy pillows, later in the week I would ask for and get an additional pillow. There are three closets; one can hold longer items like dresses, the second had two bars for hanging clothes-perfect for shirts, shorts, skirts, and the final closet had shelves on top, drawers below, and a safe in the middle. There was also a TV across from the bed that we never turned on.

The sitting area had a refrigerator, a mirror that could light up (Hair dryer in drawer just under the mirror), a L-shape couch(Which could be made into a bed), and another TV.***Available on TV were the major channels; ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX as well as a few what I call cable channels. On demand was a selection of movies, some free; Guardians of the Galaxy, St. Vincent, Inside Out, or for a fee of $4.99 ea. Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Ben-Hur (There were other movies, but these are the six I can remember). When we arrived there were six bottled waters on the desk; 2 were for being in a suite, 2 were for being a returning guest, and 2 were for purchase. Be careful! The water for purchase is a*different brand, don't drink the wrong bottle by mistake or you will*have to pay for it.

I loved the patio area for several reasons. First, it was large enough to actually use. So many balcony's on larger ships have gotten so small that even fitting two comfortably is difficult. I saw people entertaining 5, maybe even more on their patio.*Each patio was equipped with a lounger, chair with footstool, a small table and a hammock swing chair. As others have reported the lounger and chair/footstool are very low to the ground. The only reason I can think for this is so they don't become airborne in high winds. I found that if I brought a pillow from the bed that both the lounger and chair were more comfortable. The swing chair was*nice to relax in as well. This is just a personal preference, but I enjoyed and used the patio more than any balcony I have even had. It was also very convenient access to the Havana pool.

I know there have been some privacy concerns, but for us that wasn't a problem.*As our cabin was only three down from the Havana pool area, those in cabins down from us would walk by. If we were out, they might wave, say hello, etc. However, our*experience was if inside our cabin (And I had the drapes opened) I never notice anyone looking inside.***

The bathroom was my favorite area because for a ship, it was big and NICE. Double sinks and a shower to die for; roomy, with a handy seat for shaving of legs, and two shower heads. One a hand-held that could also be used as regular shower head could be adjusted for height, and a rain-head. I never thought I could love a shower head as much as I loved that rain-head. I need one for our house now.

Service was provided by our room steward, par excellence, Ernesto. He was just perfect. Our sheets were changed at least once during the cruise, and our pillowcases too. The cabin/bathroom were serviced twice a day, and always left as neat as a pin. And of course each night there were cute towel animals left for us.

As far as noise concerns, we were fairly close to the music & the Havana Pool area, and yes, we could faintly hear both music & laughter, but it never kept me from falling asleep. One night there was a commotion of some sort in the corridor that woke me up, but that can happen on any location on a ship.*

Next Up: The Havana Pool Area & Enforcement

For some reason I can't seem to fine many of the photos I took of the cabin, but there are plenty out there. Here are a few I did manage to locate.

IMG_4119_zpskcbsdvzm.jpg

The view from the swing chair

IMG_4091_zpsihk8wexc.jpg

The view standing up. At night there is an overhead light on the patio that you can turn on/off

IMG_4164_zpstgicbk43.jpg

The Havana pool area was very nice, and never crowded. The pool was a little too cold, and didn't seem to get much use. The two hot tubs were popular, but never so full you couldn't get into one. The round loungers, of which there were six, 3 on each side, were the most popular, even though not that comfortable. I personally found the chairs, which could swivel, and located in both sun and shade to be the most comfortable. The individual loungers had adjustable head rests, but are not padded, and therefore just so-so on my comfort scale. There were plenty of additional towels available if needed, and there was always someone sweeping, mopping, straightening up. There were also a men's and ladies restroom in the pool area-super convenient for those with interior*cabins or located on*a higher deck.

Bar service didn't seem to get going until about 10 am, and there was no waiter service.

We never stayed past 5:30, so I am not sure just how crazy it did/didn't get after 7pm.

So was access, limited to Havana guests, enforced? Well, yes, no, maybe-The first day I noticed a young woman come in and quietly go to a lounger and lay down. She was there at least a couple of hours before an attendant came up to her, spoke to her (In a low voice, so I have no idea what he said), she got up and left.*On our second sea day, when the Serenity area was closed due to high winds we had more people try to come in. One was a group of 3 middle age woman. They came in and draped towels over a round lounger, several chairs, and individual loungers as well. They even tried to remove my husbands towel from a lounger (He had gone to the restroom) even though there were several empty chairs around. They then went into a hot tub, and were there probably about 45-minutes before an attendant spoke to them. I could hear them protesting, that the Serenity area was closed, etc, but after several minutes they*finally got up and left. My husband saw a man try to bring in his teenage son. Husband/Wife were staying in a Havana cabin, kids were not. The man got very angry*(According to my husband), stating since he had access his children should be allowed. Attendant stayed firm, husband stomped down to guest services to complain, never saw teenage boy in the Havana area during the day.**

Several people I saw were stopped before they got pass the sliding glass door that separated the Havana night club from the pool area.

I do think there was an issue with parents/grandparents or those that were traveling with a family member not staying in a Havana cabin sharing their wristbands. The staff seemed loathed to question anyone that had the wristband. On one sea day two young girls came in. No way were they 12, but they were wearing wristbands. Another woman Havana guest*went to an attendant and said something, but all they did was ask them how old they were. They*said 12, and that was the end of it. When they got loud and annoying I went and said something, and was told "They have wristbands." I persisted and this time they asked for their*Sail & Sign cards. A few minutes later the girls were gone and I never saw them there again.

On the last sea day I saw*a lot of strangers wearing wristbands, and they were never questioned. It was also the only day that the Havana pool area came close*to getting full (And we had three lovely sea days).*I am not saying they were interlopers, but they may have been.

This is just my opinion, but I do wish the age limited would be raised from 12 to 16. I still think they would have no issue filling the cabins, and resolve a few issues with unsupervised kids (Or parents that didn't care if their kids were a nuisance to others). Also, after 7pm I think the pool area should be restricted to adults. Yes, adults can be loud and obnoxious too, but most of the complaints I heard were about teenagers.*

Overall, the Havana Area was lovely, and probably the only way I would book a cabin on a ship that large was if I could get a Havana cabin. Husband LOVED it as well, and as I feared, loved the suite too, and wouldn't mind the cost if I booked another.

Havana Cabin grade-A+

Havana Area grade-A-

Forgive my photos, for some reason I can't seem to locate my Havana photos (But I have many of food!!)

Next up: The Spa and Thermal Suite

The round loungers were the most popular

IMG_3985_zpsnac1eoex.jpg

IMG_3984_zpst8gpqr7u.jpg

A few photos of the Havana Bar area

IMG_3986_zps17tabcpt.jpg

IMG_3987_zpsvgktuwg2.jpg

IMG_3988_zpsmj2q2dhm.jpg

Good review so far. Is that walkway outside of the patio the part that is open to the public after 7:00<??>PM? Was there any increase of foot traffic at night time? I really like the looks of those rooms and patios.

It is, but it was never really used by anyone but Havana guests. The doors that lead from the walkway to the rest of the promenade were bolted shut, so it didn't allow for access in or out. It was never an issue for us.

I can understand why it may not be the right cabin for some, but I didn't hear of a single compliant from anyone actually staying in one.

In 27 cruises it was my all-time favorite cabin. Of course there were a few nit-picky things that I will forget about in a week (If I haven't already), but overall very good. Plus if you are on the port side you have Ernesto as your steward.

My husband loves thermal suites, so naturally I always book them. I was able to book a couples pass pre-cruise for $199. If I had waited until onboard the price was $289, but they were running a "special" the first day for $239. The hours were 8am to 10pm every day except the first day when it didn't close until 11 pm. Access is for 18+; the first two passengers in a Spa Cabin, and those that buy a pass, limited to 50 passes.

We normally used it in the evenings around 5:30-7:30 and never had an issue getting a heated lounger, of which there are nine. One time we went later. around 9pm and it was busier, and my husband used it one sea day from about 11-1 and it was fairly busy.

I thought it nice, but not the nicest thermal suite I had ever used. First of all, I think a more subdued color palette (Think blues, greens, purples or grays) would have been more relaxing to the eyes. I also think dimmer lighting would have been nice, and would have discouraged the few that seem to stay on a lounger for hours to read. While we had no trouble with availability,*probably due to the times we used it, others have expressed dissatisfaction with crowding during peak times.*

The whirlpool wasn't as awful as some seem to find it, BUT it does make a lot of noise (The bubbling action of the water), so having it in the same room as the loungers seemed a strange place to put it. Also, the built in bench, as opposed to the bars that allow one to recline is not an improvement to the whirlpools one can find on the Magic or Breeze. It can probably hold up to 4 comfortably, allowing each person to spread out, or 6 without sacrificing personal space. I didn't find the size an issue, as*4 was the maximum I saw using it at the same time.

There were several steam rooms and saunas that seemed very popular.

I had one spa treatment; a head to toe treatment (75-minutes) that I got for a special price of $169. Specials were run during port days and the last sea day.

I didn't used the Serenity area because of having the Havana access, but I did go up there to take pictures. It was lovely with*lots of loungers, chairs, clamshells, etc. On the last sea day I went up there at 7am and every single clamshell, of which there were many, were "reserved" by towels and a flip flop, or hat, or paperback book. Only one had actual people in it. I also saw a row of loungers*"reserved" with only one person occupying one,*apparently on guard duty to make sure none of their stuff was removed. I also saw a couple leaving the Serenity area, carrying their coverlet from their bed. I asked, and yes, they had spent the night.

Thermal Suite*grade B+ (Whirlpool was loud and*gold color scheme distracting)

Spa grade A-

Serenity grade A- (need to enforce no seat saving)*

**IMG_4034_zpslohrsfiw.jpg

IMG_4035_zpswke8ztjz.jpg

IMG_4036_zpsavxdkxzu.jpg

Edited by Rosethorn40

Did the Magic have a death onboard also?

Our second sea day the Serenity area was closed due to high winds. Just something to keep in the back of your head if you plan on spending every day up there.

There was a salad bar opened on sea days as well, but I never saw it set up. I heard it was nice, but the line moved slowly.

Next up: Food, Glorious Food

The Serenity area was on deck 15, FWD & only one elevator went to it.

IMG_4158_zpsesllff8t.jpg

IMG_4054_zpsirp42gtn.jpg

IMG_4157_zps8yyecj2w.jpg

IMG_4053_zpsjss4x1wd.jpg

IMG_4052_zps4whynoxo.jpg

Are you asking about the Magic or the Vista? I heard that a man in his 30's died of an apparent heart attack on the Vista, but have no first hand knowledge of it. That sort of thing is not usually announced, one hears about as rumor and speculation.

Are you asking about the Magic or the Vista? I heard that a man in his 30's died of an apparent heart attack on the Vista, but have no first hand knowledge of it. That sort of thing is not usually announced, one hears about as rumor and speculation.

The Magic. I know we had one on Vista ( a woman died in St. Martin).

I thought I saw the coroner van at the Magic after it came to Vista.

Thank you SO much for your review!! We have anb aft Havana Balcony in March. We are totally going for the serenity factor of the private pool area. I am trying to get a bit more info about the Havanna area. Can you get cappucino or expresso early am? I heard they serve breakfast there but could you confirm that and give me a little idea of what we can expect? Is there NO bar service around the pool unless you go to the bar yourself?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thank you SO much for your review!! We have anb aft Havana Balcony in March. We are totally going for the serenity factor of the private pool area. I am trying to get a bit more info about the Havanna area. Can you get cappucino or expresso early am? I heard they serve breakfast there but could you confirm that and give me a little idea of what we can expect? Is there NO bar service around the pool unless you go to the bar yourself?

Thanks in advance!!!

I know that you can get coffee, I am assuming Cuban coffee there, but for a latte, cappuccino or expresso the best place to go was the Java Café which is on Deck 5, just steps away from the entrance to the Havana Nightclub. It opens at 7 am, but if Java Joe is set up earlier you might be able to get a coffee a little bit earlier (6:45ish). Java Joe is the BEST. He will remember your name from the very beginning, and make coffee just the way you like, always with a smile.

Did have a few breakfast items in the Havana area, but it was very light fare. I think they had the one morning Ham Croquettes and a pastry of some sort. A much better option for breakfast was at the Taste Bar at the Ocean Plaza, Deck 5 AFT, right near to Java Café, which was opened on Sea Days, and late into port days. They called it a Continental Breakfast, but it was much more than that. Now that I am moving into food (For my review) I will go into more detail.

I only saw a waiter once in the Havana area and that was on our first Sea Day. I just don't think there was enough business to keep one on duty all day. You will need to go to the bar, but there was never a wait.

Edited by Rosethorn40

Food is always subjective, but there is no reason for anyone to go hungry on the Vista and the choices, both "free" (Not really free because it was included in your fare), and for an additional fee, were numerous.

The first day, once we got on board we went to Guy's Pig & Anchor (BBQ) for lunch. The Pig & Anchor is normally opened on sea days only, and there is no additional charge. Offered were BBQ Chicken (Dark meat only; thighs & legs. Wings & breast not available), pork butt, Brisket, and sausage of some kind.*For sides they had cole slaw (not great), potato salad (Not as good as Red, Hot & Blue's or Famous Dave's, but better then grocery store made), and baked beans (Pretty good). The consensus was that the brisket was very good, the chicken & pork butt were good, and the sausage needed work.*There are several different types of sauces, we liked the brown sugar sauce. We ate there twice. Embarking day and second sea day. Neither time was the line long.

Three times we had burgers from Guy's Burgers. Like all the other lunch choices Guy's opens at noon. Guy's stays open until 6pm. The burgers are really good. The only one I tried was the Chili Cheese and it was excellent. The first time we tried Guy's the French Fries were not very good, but the other two times they were better. I had expected very long lines, but was pleasantly surprised that we never encountered a long line.

Twice we had pasta at Cucina del Capitano. How it works is you get a choice of three different pasta's, several sauce choices, and a number of toppings. They have a paper form that you check off what you want, and they bring it to you. The first time we each got a pasta bowl, and a meat lasagna to share. The pasta was okay, but the lasagna! Best I had ever eaten. It is made with braised beef as opposed to ground beef. The next day we went back, skipped the pasta bowls and each got salad, bread and lasagna.*If the restaurant reaches full capacity they will give out pagers. The only thing I didn't care for was its located on deck 11, just under the sports deck. All during the meal one could hear thump, thump, thump of people running overhead. The hours of operation were 12-2:30 daily.

IMG_4148_zpsnt2jjtnl.jpg

IMG_4146_zps99nybsaj.jpg

IMG_4030_zpsbkaeelqp.jpg

IMG_4033_zpswgud9imy.jpg

Other choices were Bluelguana Cantina (Burritos & Tacos) 12-2:30

Buffet 12-3:30, and the Mongolian Wok 12-2:30

A word about the Mongolian Wok. It was opened daily in JiJi's Asian Kitchen from 12-2:30, but it was very popular. People started lining up at 11:30 to get in. When we got up there at 12:10 it was full, with a 45-minute wait. The second time we tried to go, not only were there people waiting with pagers to go in, but they had closed the waiting list.

On sea days the Fresh Creations in Serenity 11:00-3:00, and a light lunch at the Taste Bar. Bonsai Sushi was also opened on Sea Days, but there is a fee.

IMG_4112_zpsrzfu0h99.jpg

IMG_4110_zpsems92xfc.jpg

IMG_4111_zpszecejyvv.jpg

I know that you can get coffee, I am assuming Cuban coffee there, but for a latte, cappuccino or expresso the best place to go was the Java Café which is on Deck 5, just steps away from the entrance to the Havana Nightclub. It opens at 7 am, but if Java Joe is set up earlier you might be able to get a coffee a little bit earlier (6:45ish). Java Joe is the BEST. He will remember your name from the very beginning, and make coffee just the way you like, always with a smile.

Did have a few breakfast items in the Havana area, but it was very light fare. I think they had the one morning Ham Croquettes and a pastry of some sort. A much better option for breakfast was at the Taste Bar at the Ocean Plaza, Deck 5 AFT, right near to Java Café, which was opened on Sea Days, and late into port days. They called it a Continental Breakfast, but it was much more than that. Now that I am moving into food (For my review) I will go into more detail.

I only saw a waiter once in the Havana area and that was on our first Sea Day. I just don't think there was enough business to keep one on duty all day. You will need to go to the bar, but there was never a wait.

thank you so much for your answers!! I am finding them so very helpful! I understand about the pool area now. If there is no need and you can get a drink easily that sounds just fine! I really appreciate the info about the coffee too!

Never heard anything regarding a death on Magic last week, we interacted with many, many people throughout the week and no one said anything. Typically if an issue arises during cruise it can circulate quickly but there was nothing regarding this issue!