NYC hotel/airport/port question

SuzyQ123

Cruise leaves Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12, Redhook, 72 Bowne St, Brooklyn.

Coming in night before and looking at spending night at Comfort Inn, Brooklyn Red Hook, 17 Seabring St. This looks like it is only 1-2 miles from the port.

The 3 airports vary from 10-17 miles to the hotel. Thinking of taking taxi for convenience. Any idea on cost? More than $75?

Those that are familiar with this area, am I correct in my approximate distances?

Thanks in advance!

Cruise leaves Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12, Redhook, 72 Bowne St, Brooklyn.

Coming in night before and looking at spending night at Comfort Inn, Brooklyn Red Hook, 17 Seabring St. This looks like it is only 1-2 miles from the port.

The 3 airports vary from 10-17 miles to the hotel. Thinking of taking taxi for convenience. Any idea on cost? More than $75?

Those that are familiar with this area, am I correct in my approximate distances?

Thanks in advance!

I think you've discovered the three airport/three Cruiseport dilemma when sailing from "New York", particularly Brooklyn. It appears you are sailing on the QM2 on Sat Aug 12.

You have to look at the big picture - how much does it cost to fly into each of the airports, how much does the hotel cost, and how much does it cost to go from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port. The wild cards in this process are whether you also want to sightsee in NY and the exact date.

Comfort Inn Red Hook is showing at $199 ($232 w/tax) for Aug 11.

From an airport standpoint, we really don't recommend hotels at either LGA or JFK. However, the Newark Airport area has a large pool of much more reasonable hotels starting at about $115 plus tax for your date. You can get the 4* Newark Penn Station Hilton for $118($138 with tax) for Aug 11. What you save in hotel costs will more than cover any increased transportation costs of getting to Brooklyn.

Someone else will post about the cost of getting from each of these airports to the Brooklyn Cruiseport area, but we need to know how many people and how many pieces of luggage to do that. Generally we recommend booking car services instead of using cabs. That way the price known and agreed upon beforehand.

Another transportation consideration could be whether you try to get to Brooklyn on a Fri night or Sat morning. Traffic could be really bad on a summer Friday afternoon trying to get to Brooklyn, but should be fine on a Sat morning.

My recommendation would be to seriously consider Newark if the money works. The Newark Penn Station Hilton has a free airport shuttle and is a nice hotel. If you want to run into Manhattan, you can take the NJ Transit train to midtown or PATH to the World Trade Center downtown. The nearby Ironbound district in Newark would have an interesting selection of Spanish/Portuguese restaurants a short cab ride away. There are also other airport hotel options if this does not appeal. IMO the Comfort Inn is in nowhere Brooklyn with few dining options and about 10 blocks from the nearest subway. The Trip Advisor reviews are vastly different on these two hotels.

Thank you so much for the advice. I hadn't thought about traffic being busier on Friday. Since we do not plan to sight see, we will definitely take your advice. Thank you so much!

Check back to see what responses you get about the car service rates. If you decide on Newark, there are other hotel options. What you need to know about Newark is that to get any of the free hotel shuttles, you have to take the free Airtrain from the upper level of your terminal to the P4 stop to connect with the hotel shuttles. If you're flying in late, a hotel at the airport could be a better choice. There are always deals out there and it's still very early to make a final hotel commitment. I like the hotels in Elizabeth on International Way (Country Inns, Embassy Suites, Marriott Courtyard, and Resudence Inn) because of the availability of restaurant choices and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Do your research and post back with the options that appeal.

Thank you so much for the advice. I hadn't thought about traffic being busier on Friday. Since we do not plan to sight see, we will definitely take your advice. Thank you so much!

First compare the price of the flights, then factor in the cost of hotel and transportation to the pier. Traffic is an issue only if you fly into Newark, because you have to cross both the Hudson and East Rivers.

Flying into JFK or LaG you will avoid the bridge and tunnels completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First compare the price of the flights, then factor in the cost of hotel and transportation to the pier. Traffic is an issue only if you fly into Newark, because you have to cross both the Hudson and East Rivers.

Flying into JFK or LaG you will avoid the bridge and tunnels completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO traffic could be an issue from any airport depending on the timing. A summer Fri afternoon rush hour going from LGA or JFK to Brooklyn could be bad. Going from Newark to Brooklyn at 9-10 am on a Sat morning should be much less risky from a traffic standpoint. There are two routes - one via the Holland Tunnel and one via Staten Island. Tolls are $15-22 depending on the route. It's about a 45 minute trip. The car service should give estimates with a fixed base rate and tolls. You budget an 18-20% tip and you have your price.

I did book the Newark Penn Station Hilton. We prefer to fly into NJ, so I will be looking at flights to there. Any car services that anyone can recommend? Thanks!

We often recommend Dial7 or Carmellimo for trips between New York and NJ. Look online for coupons.

The advice has been to print out the directions to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal assuming both a Brooklyn Bridge crossing (free) and a Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Hugh Carey Tunnel - toll) crossing into Brooklyn. These are large metro NYC car service operations which seem to be able to find both the Brooklyn Cruiseport as well as the Cape Liberty Cruiseport.

Edited by 138east

Starting to think about my flights in Oct. Cruise on the Regal Princess so it will be Brooklyn port. Trying not to come in the night before because we are staying a few nights at the end of the cruise. If I fly into LGA at noon how long will it take me to get to the port? It will be a Sat.

Thanks,

Starting to think about my flights in Oct. Cruise on the Regal Princess so it will be Brooklyn port. Trying not to come in the night before because we are staying a few nights at the end of the cruise. If I fly into LGA at noon how long will it take me to get to the port? It will be a Sat.

Thanks,

That's crazy. You're cutting it way too close. The ship sails at 5 pm which means you have to be checked in by 3:30. You have absolutely no wiggle room if anything at all goes wrong like flight delays, luggage delays, or traffic delays. The traffic getting to and from LGA has been very unpredictable due to accidents and construction.

What are your other options? Have you considered Newark Airport as well?