INTERLINE Rate Help

Disclaimer: If you do not know what Interline is, it's a rate only available to employees of commercial cargo/passenger airlines and depending on the line, family members of the employee.

Ok, so this is the first time using the interline rate for my upcoming Indy trip in two weeks. I just wanted to make sure I had all the proper documentation. My brother works for UPS, so my mother is claiming the "interline" discount and it says "copy of his ID, letter from manager with signature and phone number". Does anyone know how they verify my mother is in fact the mother of my brother? Seems like this could easily be a loophole, but I don't want to show up to the pier and they say "we need a birth certificate" or something like that.

Anyone have previous experience with this?

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I believe the employee has to be traveling with the traveler to claim interline. Confirm with the cruise line, but that was the way it worked on Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do not have to, but you can only book one cabin. If you travel with the employee, there can be 3 cabins.

Unfortunately, Princess and HAL don't allow my brother to get a discount!

We have done interline many times. Send them the docs they requested and you will be fine. Once the reservation is booked Royal will not ask for any further information regarding the interline rate.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much. I just didn't want to get up to the pier and there be the moment of "you have to pay the full price".

Love that interline discount. :) Glad it's different on RCL for you. We had to send a copy of my hubby's id when we made our res on Anthem in May. But we are the only ones travelling.

I found out that my mother qualified for it after I booked my Empress cruise. Heck, I even went on the Radiance with my brother to Alaska and he didn't know he could get Interline either.

Thankful for it though as we got a Family Promenade room for my mom and I for $500!! Steal.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Thanks for the information, can you apply the interline rates for existing bookings?

Yes, but you have to go through a travel agent who books interline. I booked a Celebrity cruise (cancelled due to conflicts) during the $25 deposit sale on Celebrity then transferred it to my agent the next day and he changed the rate to interline. Works the same for Royal. Interline rates however are excluded from most promos and OBC. Doesn't matter for us as we always get a lower price than the value of the OBC etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Forgot to ask --

So no questions asked at the Pier?

We've done Interline many times and no questions at the pier ever. But it does say they can ask for ID so I'd be ready. However once you've satisfied the TA or Cruise Line you are entitled, seems they never ask again.

Interline discounts depend on each individual sailings. You can look at a cruise that leaves this week and one that leaves next week; one may have a discount and the other won't. Or one will give discounts to family members and the other will only give to employee and spouse.

The discount is offered by most of the major cruise lines, luxury cruise lines vary. In my experience, if booking with Princess, Hal, Carnival, and RCL, the promos (OBC, tips) you receive are so small that they do not outweigh the interline discount. However with NCL and Celebrity, the perks are generally good enough that we pass on our interline discount.

As far as having a TA or not, it is not required that you have a TA to get the discount. You can book interline directly with the cruise line. However, there are lots of reasons to have a TA that can sell BOTH interline and regular rates, can tell the difference, and can point out all of the pros and cons of booking one over the other.

With my TA I do a ton of research, figure out what it is we want, then let him pick the best rate with the best perks. At this point in our cruising life we do not care where the ship goes, we only care that we are on a ship. :)