Tranfers to Venice airport

purplecow15

7 People disembarking from Venice on the Norwegian Star docking at 8am in May. We have a 12:15pm flight from Marco Polo airport. Can anyone tell us the best method to get to the airport in plenty of time? Am thinking of booking a mini van with Tour Leader Venice. Would appreciate your thoughts on how best to do it and how to get off ship quickly. I don't believe you are able to take own bags off in Venice.

Booking a van for seven people sounds like a good idea. We had an 11:45 flight in September and used NCL transfers (2 people). It was necessary to use elevators to get to the baggage hall when we disembarked the Jade. Get the earliest colour tags for your luggage and you should be O.K.

On our sailing, priority/tours etc. had an 8:20 debark. Independent guests colours started at 8:30. NCL transfers with a flight after 11:30 were given an 8:40 debark time, that included us.

On leaving there were random scanner checks on luggage, but I only saw one party being checked. I was glad we didn't have to line up for people mover tickets, there was quite a gathering of passengers, all with suitcases.

We still ended up having to wait for our check in, then join really long lines for security. Hope this helps, safe travels.:)

We've used this guy a couple times now. ekiprent@tiscali.it I think it's 45 euro total from the ship to the airport. Mercedes sprinter. He was standing outside with a sign with our name as we walked off the ship. Very important to have taxi prebooked for a noon flight. Avoids much stress. Our flight was 11:45 and we made it fine but checked in online prior to arrival at airport.

7 People disembarking from Venice on the Norwegian Star docking at 8am in May. We have a 12:15pm flight from Marco Polo airport. Can anyone tell us the best method to get to the airport in plenty of time? Am thinking of booking a mini van with Tour Leader Venice. Would appreciate your thoughts on how best to do it and how to get off ship quickly. I don't believe you are able to take own bags off in Venice.

You can also take a water taxi, or just grab a regular taxi when you cross over the metal glass bridge. You will also find regular scheduled buses lined up there as well and another option is the train.

You don't want to pay a fortune for 8 miles, with half of that over a fast causeway.

in the perfect world... you could make it... but you are talking about European airports that are getting scarier every day... traffic jam from port to airport is another problem.... my general rule... 2pm takeoff is fine with me.

You can also take a water taxi, or just grab a regular taxi when you cross over the metal glass bridge. You will also find regular scheduled buses lined up there as well and another option is the train.

You don't want to pay a fortune for 8 miles, with half of that over a fast causeway.

With 7 people splitting the fare for a prebooked land taxi at about 45 euro (6.5 euro pp) it's going to be the fastest and most economical way. Any other combination is going to add more travel time, cost your group more $ and lead to more stress. The Venice airport is a stressful place. I would strongly advise trying to be one of the first groups off the ship, getting off the ship as soon as possible and going straight to the airport. You should be off the ship with luggage collected to meet your driver at 8:30 and most likely to airport at 9am. This will give you 3 hours to get through the airport zoo which should be enough time for your flight. Taxis are scarce at the ship and there's a lot of passengers wanting one. They're not lined up waiting for you. A prebooked one is definitely the way to go.

With 7 people splitting the fare for a prebooked land taxi at about 45 euro (6.5 euro pp) it's going to be the fastest and most economical way. Any other combination is going to add more travel time, cost your group more $ and lead to more stress. The Venice airport is a stressful place. I would strongly advise trying to be one of the first groups off the ship, getting off the ship as soon as possible and going straight to the airport. You should be off the ship with luggage collected to meet your driver at 8:30 and most likely to airport at 9am. This will give you 3 hours to get through the airport zoo which should be enough time for your flight. Taxis are scarce at the ship and there's a lot of passengers wanting one. They're not lined up waiting for you. A prebooked one is definitely the way to go.

Normally I would agree with you, but the problem is vehicle traffic and security at the airport. So many people getting off leads to a back up even getting onto the island,never mind getting off. The many buses are right there and leave very often.

A water taxi might be the fastest as it avoids the roads and there are many of them. With the world issues going on, I don't know if I would risk that short of a window. All it takes is one person not finding luggage and you missed your flights.

They are not going to let you go to the head of the line just because your flight is taking off.

In a perfect scenario of getting off,getting luggage and getting into a vehicle leaving right away, then sure no problem.

Normally I would agree with you, but the problem is vehicle traffic and security at the airport. So many people getting off leads to a back up even getting onto the island,never mind getting off. The many buses are right there and leave very often.

A water taxi might be the fastest as it avoids the roads and there are many of them. With the world issues going on, I don't know if I would risk that short of a window. All it takes is one person not finding luggage and you missed your flights.

They are not going to let you go to the head of the line just because your flight is taking off.

In a perfect scenario of getting off,getting luggage and getting into a vehicle leaving right away, then sure no problem.

Should someone not be able to find luggage upon debarkation that is an issue in itself. One would have to decide either to stay in port looking for the luggage or make the flight. The type of transportation you are taking to airport is not going to make finding lost luggage any less or more likely.

Regarding water taxi. It is about a 25 minute ride to the airport BUT you have to get yourself and party and luggage from ship to the water taxi stand. This can be quite a hike depending on where the ship docks and there is no way to know for sure how far the ship is from the water taxi stand. Once at the water taxi stand you will wait in line. I think cost is around 110 euro for water taxi.

Pre arranged land taxi will be waiting AT your ship, as in- you step off the ship, pick up bags and the driver will be standing there with a sign and your party name. 45 euro total or $6.50 pp for direct to airport 20-25 mins.

Ship prearranged transfer will also load passengers AT the ship as in you step off the ship, gather bags and walk onto the bus that will take directly to airport and cost around $20 pp. The busses leave as they fill for the airport.

The people mover to Piazzale Roma is simply not an option I would take given the flight time. Walking from ship to people mover, walk time varies depending on where ship is docked at Marittima cruise terminal, stand in line to purchase people mover ticket, get to Piazzale Roma and then start process of procuring airport transfer? ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma to airport at 8 euro pp plus the 1.5 euro pp people mover fare is going to put you at higher cost overall than had you just arranged a taxi to pick your party up at the ship. AND the ATVO bus or land taxi is still going to take 25 mins from Piazzale Roma to airport so you have spent all that time walking, standing in 2 lines, waiting that you can add onto the total transfer time. I'm sure passengers do make it onto a 12:15 flight going this route but talk about a nail biter way to end your vacation. No thanks.