Splendida: Tell me everything!

SunnydayKim

Hello MSC-ers! I am super excited that we just booked our first MSC cruise for this summer (June 4th out of Rome) for 7 days. We have cruised many times, but never on MSC or in Europe!

This will be our first European adventure as a family! Myself, husband & son (6) will be going to Rome for 4 days before the cruise.

The cruise is very port-intensive with no sea days and I know we will be quite tired some days & not do a lot onboard. But... Spendida will be our home for 7 days... so, tell me everything about her! Haha. The good, the bad & the "different to a silly American".

We have done some research and I have looked through & read some reviews & threads within this board (thank you for those!). A couple of questions specifically:

1. I know that they repeat announcements in many languages, however are menus and other written things onboard in multiple languages as well (that include English)?

2. Food options for picky eaters. My 6 year old is not very adventurous when it comes to eating. Do they have a kids menu and/or options that are more geared towards chicken fingers or hamburgers? (I have a fear that in Italy he is going to be laughed out of the country for liking his pasta with just butter & cheese)

3. I know that there is a kids pool. (it looks minuscule) Are children not allowed in the other pools with adult supervision?

4. Are there available non-alcoholic drinks like juice, milk, water, iced tea, lemonade without a package out at self-serve stations or is it all by bar? And, if we do get a package, is it for all in the cabin or could I get one for husband & I and a different one for son?

5. How is the storage in cabins compared to a Carnival or RCI? I have to do better at packing light since we are flying and limiting to 1 bag per person, but... I still tend to over pack. Are hangers provided & how many and/or can you request more?

OK- that is it for now! But... feel free to tell me your Splendida tips, suggestions & thoughts!

We know that this will be a bit different than our past cruises, but it will be AMAZING & we are really excited! Just trying to be prepared so that I can then prepare my son (and myself!!).

Happy New Year & thanks in advance for your tips!

Kim

Hello MSC-ers! I am super excited that we just booked our first MSC cruise for this summer (June 4th out of Rome) for 7 days. We have cruised many times, but never on MSC or in Europe!

This will be our first European adventure as a family! Myself, husband & son (6) will be going to Rome for 4 days before the cruise.

The cruise is very port-intensive with no sea days and I know we will be quite tired some days & not do a lot onboard. But... Spendida will be our home for 7 days... so, tell me everything about her! Haha. The good, the bad & the "different to a silly American".

We have done some research and I have looked through & read some reviews & threads within this board (thank you for those!). A couple of questions specifically:

1. I know that they repeat announcements in many languages, however are menus and other written things onboard in multiple languages as well (that include English)? yes

2. Food options for picky eaters. My 6 year old is not very adventurous when it comes to eating. Do they have a kids menu and/or options that are more geared towards chicken fingers or hamburgers? (I have a fear that in Italy he is going to be laughed out of the country for liking his pasta with just butter & cheese) they have a kids only section in the buffet and kids menu in the MDR

3. I know that there is a kids pool. (it looks minuscule) Are children not allowed in the other pools with adult supervision? not sure on that one

4. Are there available non-alcoholic drinks like juice, milk, water, iced tea, lemonade without a package out at self-serve stations or is it all by bar? And, if we do get a package, is it for all in the cabin or could I get one for husband & I and a different one for son? Self serve stations in the buffet[. all in cabin must have the same package unless you get vouchers

5. How is the storage in cabins compared to a Carnival or RCI? I have to do better at packing light since we are flying and limiting to 1 bag per person, but... I still tend to over pack. Are hangers provided & how many and/or can you request more? storage is adequate if you put your cases under the beds. you can get more hangers by request

OK- that is it for now! But... feel free to tell me your Splendida tips, suggestions & thoughts!

We know that this will be a bit different than our past cruises, but it will be AMAZING & we are really excited! Just trying to be prepared so that I can then prepare my son (and myself!!).

Kim

Pete

tip do a status match to see if you can get a 5% discount and a black card in the voyagers club. eg Diamond(RCI) = Black MSC

Edited by Skier52

Oh no on the dire cabins!

We are in 10088! Balcony cabin.

Thanks!

Kim

Well it is not in a dire position you'll be glad to know. Neither is it in one of the best locations. It is located in the forward recess and is 5 cabins away from a hump wall. it will as a resulted have a reduced field of vision, especially in the forward direction , but not too bad. It is as close to the wall as I would deem to be reasonable

here is an image of what I mean by limited field of view (vision)

fields%20of%20view.jpg

it shows the affect on the 3 cabins closest to the wall

The deck 12 overhang can affect deck 10 , but it will hardly have any affect, but can cast a shadow when the sun is high in the sky

Hope this is useful for you.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi

We were on this cruise in December. We had a great time, we stayed 2 nights pre cruise in Rome. Oh I loved Rome so much and we did and saw so much in our few days there. It was our first time to Europe!!

Yes the cruise is port intensive especially when you include precruise in Rome. But it was so worth staying in Rome a few days, Food is good . They have fresh pasta every day. Big variety in buffet for your son. And the have kids menu so I wouldn't worry. Only thing in buffet to drink is coffee, hot chocolate and juice. Coffee is very strong. I missed my American coffee. I learned though if you put half coffee and half hot milk it was better. We had the 18 coupon drink package which worked out great for me and my daughter. I used it a lot for specialty coffees. Those were really good.

Not sure where you are staying in Rome. We stayed in City Center and it was so convenient to all the sites, shopping etc. I'm sure you know to get tickets etc prior to your trip. There are lines!!!

We went to see the Pope at noon on Sunday for his blessing. My daughter didn't want to go to Rome without seeing the Pope. That was a really nice experience and to be blessed by the Pope.

Monday before getting on the cruise we did a private 3 tour of the Vatican. That was so worth the money. Had lunch and off to the ship.

Palermo was kind of seedy. Cab drivers were all over us when we got into port. Trying to get us to do tours etc. We took the hop on hop off bus to the church and then walked to the Catacombs. My daughter wanted to go there. It was interesting!! We went to the markets and the food was so good especially the rice balls and pizza and really cheap. I think if I went there again I would do an excursion. It was the yellow hop on hop off. Don't take that one. We never saw them after our first stop

Malta is beautiful. We did the jeep excursion. Basically a ride around the Island. Very pretty

Marseille we did the city tour. Too many languages on the bus. Annoying. I would do a private tour out of Marielle

Barcelona was beautiful. We had tickets to Samilia Familia. That was beautiful. We just took a cab to the church Then another cab to Port Olympic for the best lunch recommended by the cab diver and then a cab to Las Ramlas for shopping and gelato. There was 4 of us so it was cheap for cabs.

Genoa. We did a private tour of Portafina, Santa margherita and Rafella. That was really nice and tour guide recommended a nice restaurant for lunch. Best pesto!!!

Enjoy your cruise

Hi

We were on this cruise in December. We had a great time, we stayed 2 nights pre cruise in Rome. Oh I loved Rome so much and we did and saw so much in our few days there. It was our first time to Europe!!

Yes the cruise is port intensive especially when you include precruise in Rome. But it was so worth staying in Rome a few days, Food is good . They have fresh pasta every day. Big variety in buffet for your son. And the have kids menu so I wouldn't worry. Only thing in buffet to drink is coffee, hot chocolate and juice. Coffee is very strong. I missed my American coffee. I learned though if you put half coffee and half hot milk it was better. We had the 18 coupon drink package which worked out great for me and my daughter. I used it a lot for specialty coffees. Those were really good.

Not sure where you are staying in Rome. We stayed in City Center and it was so convenient to all the sites, shopping etc. I'm sure you know to get tickets etc prior to your trip. There are lines!!!

We went to see the Pope at noon on Sunday for his blessing. My daughter didn't want to go to Rome without seeing the Pope. That was a really nice experience and to be blessed by the Pope.

Monday before getting on the cruise we did a private 3 tour of the Vatican. That was so worth the money. Had lunch and off to the ship.

Palermo was kind of seedy. Cab drivers were all over us when we got into port. Trying to get us to do tours etc. We took the hop on hop off bus to the church and then walked to the Catacombs. My daughter wanted to go there. It was interesting!! We went to the markets and the food was so good especially the rice balls and pizza and really cheap. I think if I went there again I would do an excursion. It was the yellow hop on hop off. Don't take that one. We never saw them after our first stop

Malta is beautiful. We did the jeep excursion. Basically a ride around the Island. Very pretty

Marseille we did the city tour. Too many languages on the bus. Annoying. I would do a private tour out of Marielle

Barcelona was beautiful. We had tickets to Samilia Familia. That was beautiful. We just took a cab to the church Then another cab to Port Olympic for the best lunch recommended by the cab diver and then a cab to Las Ramlas for shopping and gelato. There was 4 of us so it was cheap for cabs.

Genoa. We did a private tour of Portafina, Santa margherita and Rafella. That was really nice and tour guide recommended a nice restaurant for lunch. Best pesto!!!

Enjoy your cruise

Thank you so much for all of your tips & feedback on your cruise! Yes, I am super excited at spending some time in Rome pre-cruise (and one day post cruise too just in case!!)! Good feedback on some of our stops too!

Hoping that a couple of other CC cruisers will be on this cruise with us!

Kim

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Pete and others have already answered to you and very well. Thanks to them.

Meanwhile, let me, as an European, just to talk a little bit about the most notable of those cultural differences that seems to be the ones that most likely will upset more the Americans in this forum:

1) Water at dinner - Here in Europe you're expected to pay for your bottled water with your dinner, and that is the MSC rule as well. Seems that Americans have a 7 or 14 bottles of water cupon book at their base price. Some may also have other drinks package that include water. At 1st night ask your waiter that you want your water all nights and then they will be more than happy to have it awaiting you everyninght.

2) Coffee - Here in Europe it is custumary to go to the nearby bar to have espresso coffee after the meal and that is the MSC rule as well. You wont have free or specialty coffee served at your table, but all the bars and lounges will have an esperesso machine. If you want an American coffee, just ask the bartender for a "Americano" and they will be more than happy to provide. Otherwise if you simply ask for a coffee you will receive the smallish 40ml version of the Italian espresso that in the US is called just an "Italian".

3) Dinner experience - Here in Europe, dinner, and especially holiday dinner is largely an experience by itself. A great conversation accomanied with the good food (not necessarily pipping hot). Expect a somewhat longer dinner service time than on the American lines. It's not a bug... For us it is a lovely feature!

4) Lines - Well... I have to admit by my own experience that us, the Europpeans, are usually worse than you, the Americans, at waiting patienthly our turn on a line of people... Forget me, but that is the very fact of life... By the way... That is something the cruise line can't control. It will depend on the vibe and demographics of your actual sailing...

5) Small faillures compensation and general information - Well... I hope all will go well with you and your sailing... But be advised: For us, Europpeans little small faillures everywhere else are just understood as facts of life. Don't expect more than perharps the proverbial apologies from them is some minor thing goes on. General information is sometimes lacking here in the latin Europe too, but indeed... Fortunately, at least on MSC I haven't experienced it by myself! Nearly all the staff will understand at least some basic English. Reception or guest services personnel will speak fluent English.

With my 4 happy cruises with them I'm more than happy to say that all will be good on your sailing! Enjoy the different Europe, The wonderfull and Eternal Rome and the other wonderful places yo'll visit!... Have a good sailing!...

Hope to have helped a little bit! Have a great evening / day!...

Well it is not in a dire position you'll be glad to know. Neither is it in one of the best locations. It is located in the forward recess and is 5 cabins away from a hump wall. it will as a resulted have a reduced field of vision, especially in the forward direction , but not too bad. It is as close to the wall as I would deem to be reasonable

here is an image of what I mean by limited field of view (vision)

fields%20of%20view.jpg

it shows the affect on the 3 cabins closest to the wall

The deck 12 overhang can affect deck 10 , but it will hardly have any affect, but can cast a shadow when the sun is high in the sky

Hope this is useful for you.

Pete

After all that the OPer is in Cabin 10088 and not 11088. As for fields of vision views - isn't life too short? :confused::confused:

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Pete and others have already answered to you and very well. Thanks to them.

Meanwhile, let me, as an European, just to talk a little bit about the most notable of those cultural differences that seems to be the ones that most likely will upset more the Americans in this forum:

1) Water at dinner - Here in Europe you're expected to pay for your bottled water with your dinner, and that is the MSC rule as well. Seems that Americans have a 7 or 14 bottles of water cupon book at their base price. Some may also have other drinks package that include water. At 1st night ask your waiter that you want your water all nights and then they will be more than happy to have it awaiting you everyninght.

2) Coffee - Here in Europe it is custumary to go to the nearby bar to have espresso coffee after the meal and that is the MSC rule as well. You wont have free or specialty coffee served at your table, but all the bars and lounges will have an esperesso machine. If you want an American coffee, just ask the bartender for a "Americano" and they will be more than happy to provide. Otherwise if you simply ask for a coffee you will receive the smallish 40ml version of the Italian espresso that in the US is called just an "Italian".

3) Dinner experience - Here in Europe, dinner, and especially holiday dinner is largely an experience by itself. A great conversation accomanied with the good food (not necessarily pipping hot). Expect a somewhat longer dinner service time than on the American lines. It's not a bug... For us it is a lovely feature!

4) Lines - Well... I have to admit by my own experience that us, the Europpeans, are usually worse than you, the Americans, at waiting patienthly our turn on a line of people... Forget me, but that is the very fact of life... By the way... That is something the cruise line can't control. It will depend on the vibe and demographics of your actual sailing...

5) Small faillures compensation and general information - Well... I hope all will go well with you and your sailing... But be advised: For us, Europpeans little small faillures everywhere else are just understood as facts of life. Don't expect more than perharps the proverbial apologies from them is some minor thing goes on. General information is sometimes lacking here in the latin Europe too, but indeed... Fortunately, at least on MSC I haven't experienced it by myself! Nearly all the staff will understand at least some basic English. Reception or guest services personnel will speak fluent English.

With my 4 happy cruises with them I'm more than happy to say that all will be good on your sailing! Enjoy the different Europe, The wonderfull and Eternal Rome and the other wonderful places yo'll visit!... Have a good sailing!...

Hope to have helped a little bit! Have a great evening / day!...

Here in Europe!!!!????!!!! Is it any wonder Brexit took place? :eek:

Here in Northern Europe where we have an excellent water supply we drink tap water with our meals and don't expect to pay for water in restaurants resent somewhat the MSC approach of having to purchase water. Of course it has nothing to do with culture, even though MSC would like you to think that it is, it is all about creating a profit centre!

Here in Northern Europe, we love to finish our meals with tea and coffee! Our cafes dont stay open until after long late dinners. As regards an Americano, if you take milk with your coffee, ask for it on the side and if your preference is cold, make sure you ask for it cold otherwise you will get warm milk with a scum that will float around in your coffee - yuk!

Here in Northern Europe, we like our meal times to last about an 45 mins to an hour and our food served piping hot!

I am glad you referred to latin Europe and here in Northern Europe we strive towards perfection, we call small failures niggles or a lack of attention to detail, we don't do platitudes and the Mediterranean shrug grates!

Europe is a big place - funny how 27 of us can remain in one big happy family!

Edited by tomvet

After all that the OPer is in Cabin 10088 and not 11088. As for fields of vision views - isn't life too short? :confused::confused:

The image was for illustration only I didn't claim it was their particular cabins.

Field of view can be very important to some people but not those who frequent inside cabins.

Why pay the same price for a limited view if you can get a full 180 degree field of view?

Here in Northern Europe where we have an excellent water supply we drink tap water with our meals and don't expect to pay for water in restaurants resent somewhat the MSC approach of having to purchase water. Of course it has nothing to do with culture, even though MSC would like you to think that it is, it is all about creating a profit centre!

Here in Northern Europe, we love to finish our meals with tea and coffee! Our cafes dont stay open until after long late dinners. As regards an Americano, if you take milk with your coffee, ask for it on the side and if your preference is cold, make sure you ask for it cold otherwise you will get warm milk with a scum that will float around in your coffee - yuk!

Here in Northern Europe, we like our meal times to last about an 45 mins to an hour and our food served piping hot!

I am glad you referred to latin Europe and here in Northern Europe we strive towards perfection, we call small failures niggles or a lack of attention to detail, we don't do platitudes and the Mediterranean shrug grates!

Six or Seven courses in 45 minutes. you're having a laugh Tom

maybe that's the Irish at but certainly not the English way

the average British restaurant works on 2 hour turn around of a table.

Edited by Skier52

Good Evening!

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Yes, I was talking mostly about my own Latin Europe, my apologies if it wasn't understood, and MSC is an Italian line, as we know. But, I've travelled extensively trhoughough nearly all Europe, and to say the truth what I see beeing done here in the south is not way so differeent than what I can call the mainsstream Europpean way of doing things, with the regional adaptations here and there.

Yes, there are some differences regarding Norway, Denmark or the other nordic countries... They are very demanding and apreciate detail in service... I apreciate that as well... How it would have been great if I had born as one of you there... But I'm not!... Now, come to the other countries... There is a common mainstream that encompasses most of the Europpean population and that is what about what I was mostly talking.

...And last, but not the least: Let us to have politics out of these boards. I, and certainly most of the members in these boards overwelmingly share my ideas, think that here in Cruise Critic we are a wonderful and active group of cruising lovers who want to come here to freely discuss our much beloved hobby that is cruising, respecting all people from all grounds of nationality as a global site and all grounds of individuals in all the political spectrum... Just by taking local or otherwise politics of the day out of these boards. We have plenty of places to discuss politics everywhere!

Hope to have helped a little bit. Have a nice weekend!... :)

Does the Splendida have laundry rooms for ironing? Or only their service will iron?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No MSC ships have any facilities for guests to do laundry/ironing.

They do offer a laundry service, which includes iron only, as well as various laundry packages:- 10 items ; 20 items , 40 items.

Pete

No MSC ships have any facilities for guests to do laundry/ironing.

They do offer a laundry service, which includes iron only, as well as various laundry packages:- 10 items ; 20 items , 40 items.

Pete

From the description on the MSC website, it looks like they only deliver the clean clothes the day before debarkation. Is there a way to get laundry done in the middle of the cruise so we don't have to pack as much?

From the description on the MSC website, it looks like they only deliver the clean clothes the day before debarkation. Is there a way to get laundry done in the middle of the cruise so we don't have to pack as much?

If you get the right package you can send laundry any day, except the day before disembarkation, and have it returned in 24 hours. you can send as much as you like or as little as 1 item until your limit is reached.

so for a 20 item package you could send 4 items on days 2,3,4,5 and 6 if you wanted or any other combination which adds up to 20 items on those days (assuming a 7 night cruise)

Pete

Hi

Enjoy your cruise

I also enjoyed your response Sandi07054, I am doing a similar cruise in May, are you able to provide information on who you took your private tour form Genoa with?

TIA

Hi; We need 4 persons on the Splendida(March 3-March 10) to join us for a small group tour offered by Stefano Day Rome Tours: cost pp is about $ 125: you have to get your own admission tickets to the Vatican museum and the Coliseum via the net. Full day tour of Rome plus time for tours in Coliseum and Vatican museum. Check their web site for a full description.

Cruiser Rick

Hello, Looking for 4 persons to be part of a group of 6 for a full day tour of Rome with Stefanorometours, pick up and drop off at cruise terminal: cost pp should be about $125 pp: you can look up their itinerary on the net:what is a bit different is you have to get your own tickets for the Vatican museum and Coliseum via the net(Vatican museum adult tick is $ 16 plus $ 4 internet fee.):

Cruiser Rick

1. I know that they repeat announcements in many languages, however are menus and other written things onboard in multiple languages as well (that include English)?

2. Food options for picky eaters. My 6 year old is not very adventurous when it comes to eating. Do they have a kids menu and/or options that are more geared towards chicken fingers or hamburgers? (I have a fear that in Italy he is going to be laughed out of the country for liking his pasta with just butter & cheese)

3. I know that there is a kids pool. (it looks minuscule) Are children not allowed in the other pools with adult supervision?

4. Are there available non-alcoholic drinks like juice, milk, water, iced tea, lemonade without a package out at self-serve stations or is it all by bar? And, if we do get a package, is it for all in the cabin or could I get one for husband & I and a different one for son?

5. How is the storage in cabins compared to a Carnival or RCI? I have to do better at packing light since we are flying and limiting to 1 bag per person, but... I still tend to over pack. Are hangers provided & how many and/or can you request more?

Kim

Hi Kim,

Our family just got off the Splendida 3 days ago so I think I can answer some questions.

1. Menus are in several languages, including English. Also, all MSC employees speak English so getting questions answered will be easy. MSC knows what language you speak so your daily planner that you receive in your cabin in the evening from the cabin attendant will also be the English version.

2. There is plenty to pick from at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. At breakfast they have the usual staples of scrambled eggs and fried eggs, toast, pancakes and french toast. However, be aware, MSC dos NOT have maple syrup for pancakes or the french toast. They have flavored syrups (blueberry, raspberry and chocolate) but no maple syrup. If you son needs the syrup then pack some of you own. Also, no half and half or cream for your coffee. At lunch they have hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs and fries. There is also a child's menu at dinner.

3. On our cruise the indoor pool was packed with kids. The outdoor pool was empty.

4. Regarding packages make sure you order them before you leave. Especially the photo package. It is a terrific deal. I had 3 soda ticket packages for my sons, a cocktail package of 12 mixed drinks and a 6 bottle of wine package for dinner. It is definitely best to get the packages before you go. They are more expensive once you buy them on the ship. The tickets are good for anyone as they are generic tickets. Because your son is a minor you can get him a child's package different from what you and your husband get.

5. The storage in the cabins is tight. Not as much as other cruise lines. The best advise I can give is to pack smart. There is a tendency to over pack so keep in mind that space is limited.

Enjoy your cruise. We had a terrific time on MSC.

Paul

Edited by pjo