Viking Star Chef's Table

turbobob

We have participated in a number of cruise lines Chef's Tables and they have run the gamut from the ridiculous (RCI - mediocre food and less than mediocre wines) to the sublime (Oceania - wonderful food and excellent wine pairings but who really needs their scallop seared on a hot rock?) and back to the ridiculous (Azamara where the amount of great food and drink was absurd) and so we were excited to try the Viking Star Chef's Table. On all the other lines where we participated this was a premium priced activity so seeing this as part of the Viking dining experience was even more exciting.

The Viking Star Chef's Table is not like any other we have attended although one thing in common was it was a set menu with wine pairings. It was not a single large sitting with personal involvement of a chef and sommelier but rather a more regular restaurant environment. The Chef's Table is a nightly "event" with the menu changing every three days and we managed to enjoy two of the three menus over the course of our cruise. While there is no additional charge for Chef's Table there is a optional surcharge for "premium" wine pairings.

The first menu - Gastronomic Journey Through Time - included:

• Amuse Bouche: Romaine & cucumber, goat cheese mousse paired with Les Meridiennes, Vaucluse, Blanc, UVCL ( optional wine Hartenberg Sauvginon Blanc from Stellenbasch)
  • First Course: Gallic Oxtail Consomme pair with Brise Marine, Rose, Estandon (Domaine Loberger Pinot Noir, Alsace)
  • Granita: Medieval "Black and Blue" vodka, mint & mixed berries
  • Main Course: Renaissance-Style Lamb Filet, sweet potato mash, carrot medley paired with Baisano, Tempranillo from Spain (Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel from California)
  • Dessert: 21st-Century Nut Brownie with pistachio ice cream paired with Uby, Domaine Uby, Gros et Petit Manseng (Mas de Lavail, Maury Rouge, France)
    The food was all well prepared, well presented, tasty and the wine pairings (basic level) were well done. I don't think any of the wines retail for more than $10/bottle but they were included at no charge.

The second menu - Venice Carnival - included:
    • Amuse Bouche: Roasted Pepper & Tomatoe Jelly with Goat Chesse latte foam paired with Sacchetto Pinto Grigio, Rose (gatto Bianco, Inzolia Catarratto from Sicily)
    • First Course: Beef Carpaccio with Sacchetto, Merlot (Dolcetto d'Alba "Costa Fiore" from Piemonte)
    • Granita: Bellini with peach juice foam
    • Main Course: Cod Fillet with Jerusalem artichoke risotto paired with Sacchetto, Pinto Grigio (Al Poggio, Castello di Ama Chardonnay, Toscana)
    • Dessert: Mascarpone mousse with passion fruit cremeux paired with Vin Santo Christina della Valdichiana (Vin Santo, Santa Christina, Toscana)

For us a less exciting menu leaving the open the question "How can you have a Venice Carnival without prosecco and amarone or valpolicello ripasso?". Once again the food was well prepared and well presented although either too subtle for our palates or a little bland depending on your point of view.

Bottom line: a very different Chef's Table experience, very good to excellent food (just like the main dining room) and just like the main dining room the wines paired well but they had little character......but always keep in mind that the Viking Star Chef's Table is a no cost extra dining option.

Thank you for sharing both the menu and your thoughts. We recently did a Chef's Table on another line and I was so looking forward to it after hearing raves about Chef's Tables in general. We were disappointed. While the different dishes were beautifully prepared and presented, my personal opinion was substance was sacrificed for the sake of style.

We our considering booking a cruise on the Viking Spirt and I just may give the Chef's Table another try.

I love the chef table Venice Carnival menu.

Thanks for posting it.

I see you were given a glass of Vin Santo from Tuscany.

Love the wine as the final finish to an Italian meal.

On board the Celeberity this summer, Vin Santo was available only in the Tuscan Grill. Price was $23.00 a glass. I had the beverage package so I paid the difference between $13.00 and $23.00

Look forward to this option on our Viking Cruise!

Edited by Azulann

Getting a glass of your favorite wine with a meal is almost always a good thing. I can't say I was positively impressed by the "quality" of the standard wine pairings but they did pair well - they certainly did not dominate the food - and they were included with the meal. I considered upgrading on the first night and saw that the "premium" wine accompanying the main course was a Cline California zinfandel and while Cline does produce some very nice zins their California appellation is not what I consider a premium wine. It's a matter of personal preference.

BTW Viking Star does have some very nice wines on their wine list.