New to Celebrity - A few Q

Cruise4Fun2Sun

An opportunity of time has become reality and I am looking into taking a cruise vacation. A couple of Celebrity options look interesting with their ports, however, not having travelled Celebrity before, I'm not sure what to expect. Although married, our travel party would be my youngest child (age 10) and myself - we've got the ability to make the trip, whereas the rest of the family is otherwise occupied. We've travelled on Disney Cruise line before, although it has been a couple of years since our last one.

Currently Celebrity Silhouette and Celebrity Equinox have a Feb dates that work for our schedule. What is it like traveling as an individual adult with a child? What can my 10yo expect in the kids club on either of these ships? This child has enjoyed the Disney clubs, but anticipating that Celebrity would offer a different experience - theming, of course, but hours and staff...what are these like? Child is pretty easy going, so if counselors are good, I would expect a good experience for child, overall.

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing that at this time of year you are looking at the Caribbean? I can only tell you that during the cruise I took on the Silhouette last March , I only saw 2 children the entire cruise. Celebrity tends to attract a bit older crowd, and the kids I saw looked bored to death. With that being said, it depends on how much time you want to spend with your child. At that age, my son and I enjoyed any types of activities together, and he traveled well without having to be entertained. My other son would have been terribly unhappy. We too did the Disney cruise when they were about that age, and they loved it. I just don't know if this is the line that I would do with kids, and especially if the time is not during traditional school breaks, with a greater chance of having more kids on board.

My kids loved the Fun Factory (6 and 9.) Since X is usually focused on a more mature crowd, there isn't much activities for kids outside of the FF. But the counselors are great, they keep them active from morning to evening and even so late night pajama parties (until 1:00 am.) My kids practically dragged us out of bed so they could get there first thing. And we were dragging them out at night.

The only little complaint I had was the family activities weren't well announced. The kids put on a talent show and only half the parents showed up because it wasn't posted as you sign in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just check with Celebrity what their policy is about safeguarding children and young people, there was a very disturbing post about people not being able to find this out on ship.

You might like to read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2416882&page=6

Edited by AnOnymously

Just check with Celebrity what their policy is about safeguarding children and young people, there was a very disturbing post about people not being able to find this out on ship.

You might like to read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2416882&page=6

The poster who reported she only saw two children was likely because the other children were all involved with the Fun Factory. The FF deliberately keeps kids busy away from the rest of the passenger activities. Not surprised the two she saw were bored.

As for the "safety" issues in a prior post, in my experience the concerns are groundless. They run a good program and the children are well cared for. Particularly as your child is an experienced cruiser.

All that said, Celebrity is probably not the very best choice (as Disney or the Big Red Boat or even RC would be) if you have a choice. If you don't, then by all means go and enjoy!

My kids ages 4 and 6 have been on 6 Celebrity cruises so far and love it. They have a great time at the Fun Factory.

A few cruises back we traveled with my extended family including my nieces and nephews in the 8 to 12 year range. They have been on Disney cruises and said that they preferred Celebrity.

Of course none of us can predict whether YOUR son will like it or not. Just like adults - all kids are different and they don't all like the same things. The only way you will know for sure is to try it - if he doesn't like it, you'll know more for next time. If he does - you will have more options.

Either way, good luck.

I don't think celebrity attracts as many travelers with kids than some of the other lines. And feb isn't a popular school break time so would guess that there wouldn't be many kids at all.

Celebrity's themeing and shows are more mature than on other lines. Think music and wine on the lawn rather than water slides and ice skating. We were on a 10 day on the reflection, not those ships. But there were a few production style shows, and magician, but also a string quartet, a few solo singers, and a very odd cabaret/comedy show.

I'm 30s and was traveling with a relative in her 60s, there were def times during the cruise that I felt like I was 30 years younger than their target audience, and times when my relative felt like she was 30 years younger than their target audience. Had a great time but with it not being a school break sailing, there are so many other lines that cater activities and entertainment to kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

The concern of the poster was that their was only one person looking after the children, Safeguarding Children and Young People in the UK would say that should be two. Secondly the poster was not able to find out what rules were in place for the protection of children and no one has posted any that Celebrity might have since.

I think the safety of kids is very important and those who care for them need to protect them with good robust policies.

We are constantly hearing of child abuse, each parent IMO needs to ensure their child does not get abused. Check before you trust them to anyone, please.

I don't think celebrity attracts as many travelers with kids than some of the other lines. And feb isn't a popular school break time so would guess that there wouldn't be many kids at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here on the East Coast, most schools have the week of President's day off from school (Feb 20ish) and it is a very popular week for travel. Rates are typically double for hotels and flights to popular destinations during this week. If that is the week you are travelling there should be plenty of other children on board.

However many or few kids, even for 1, in any group on or off any cruise should have robust policies in place to ensure that the children are protected from harm.

Please parents in any situation, any cruise line or holiday club, where your kids are looked after by others, ask who will be in charge, what training they have had and what are the written policies for keeping your child safe.

Many times children do not come to any harm, but on the occasion when it does you don't want it to be your child.

If you can, go the week before or after Easter - our 7 day left Easter Sunday last year and there were quite a few kids aboard, as well as a more mixed demographic than off season cruises - younger, more families, etc. There still probably weren't as many kids as on other lines that cater to them (RC, Norwegian, Disney) but still a fair number