Driving in Provence???

#eurovirgin

It is pretty easy. Helps to know some French. We rented a car at airport about 6 years ago and drove around Provence for 3 days, returning it to a location in Marseille and taking taxi to cruise ship - we were told not to hang out in Marseille. It would be good to read up on French signs too. I reserved an automatic, and double checked to be sure as I guess sometimes font honor that, and also get GPS in English - we never could figure out how to get ours into English. So last time we rented (in Alsace) we has rental staff set it up in English, it sure helped! Our biggest problem was in Avignon, old section, lots of no parking or limited parking signs we didn't understand...and be careful of very narrow streets, ha ha. But it is mostly pretty easy and fun. Bon voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have stayed in Provence on a land holiday and it is lovely. If you are there on a Sunday, then there is a very good market in Isle de la Sorgue. I would try to visit Les Baux as well, a lovely hilltop village.

It is very easy driving in France once you are away from large towns. I found the avenues of plane trees particularly attractive.

Last year we had a driver/guide who took us to Avignon, St. Remy, Les Baux and Arles. He knew where he was going and we did not have to worry about where to park. In Lex Baux he dropped us off and picked us up at a designated time. We could not have covered this much ground on our own.

Last year we had a driver/guide who took us to Avignon, St. Remy, Les Baux and Arles. He knew where he was going and we did not have to worry about where to park. In Lex Baux he dropped us off and picked us up at a designated time. We could not have covered this much ground on our own.

Where did you find this tour?

Planning on using our Iphones for GPS- hope that will be sufficient

Have a good long talk with your iPhone carrier before you do this...

...fully understand the rates and the MB limits on your plan.

Here's a tip... get the GPS from the car rental place... :cool:

As we have said, in other posts, driving in Provence is pretty routine once you get out of Marseille. Regarding GPS, if you have T-Mobile it is not an issue since nearly all T-Mobile allow you world wide data usage at no additional charge. We have our own European GPS (a Garmin Nuvi) but have stopped dragging it to Europe since we changed over to T-Mobile.

One caution about European rental cars is that many are stick (manual) shift. If you cannot drive a stick make sure to reserve far in advance and specify you must have an automatic. Keep in mind that automatics can cost significantly more then a small car with manual.

In Marseille, there are no rental car agencies located at the cruise ship port. One generally needs to take a taxi (or shuttle bus) into town to get to various agencies...many of which have locations near the train station.

Hank

Be aware that Marseille can be problematic re volume of traffic. It is noted for traffic jams so allow lots of time for return if you'll be coming back in the rush hour.

Good advice! I wonder how to predict how much extra time we'll need? It will be a Sunday, so hopefully lighter traffic...?

As shops, commercial centres and offices are closed in France on a Sunday there will be less traffic. I would probably aim to get back to ship at least an hour before departure, but add an hour as buffer time. Remember you will also have to return the car.

I always carry the daily news letter all ships produce. In that you will have the telephone number and contact details of the local agent.