Westbound Atlantic Crossing

colombiangirl

We did a westbound in October in 2015. It was not silky-smooth, but we had no problems at all. At one point, early in the morning, we saw a thunderstorm brewing from our balcony and it became apparent that the ship was sailing around the storm. It was quite a sight! I have heard that it can get a bit rough but you should be traveling more toward the southern waters, correct?

What exactly is your route? That could be a factor ...

I'm trying to remember ... I think most of our TAs have been eastbound, but we DID do a Barcelona-NYC on Sirena in October. It was very smooth except for the one day when we were sailing south of the hurricane that had been through Bermuda the day before. We were about 300 nautical miles south of the storm if I am remembering correctly.

I tend to be sensitive to motion (!) but I was never really sick on that one day. I did play it safe and hide in the room ... lying down when that seemed advisable.

I wouldn't avoid another westbound crossing in the fall based on our experience on Sirena. (We had much worse weather on Regatta in January 2004 heading for Aruba than we did on Sirena, likewise some really rough seas heading to Dublin from Iceland in 2006 ...) There really is no predicting these things.

Just checked again, but this may not be pertinent to your itinerary -- in 2013 we did Barcelona to Rio, so a more southerly route. I don't remember any untoward weather. That cruise was November 20 to December 8.

Mura

What exactly is your route? That could be a factor ...

Has to be this one:

SIR170922.jpg

635976036516649317-Sirena-1.jpg21942536046_4e85ccd978.jpg

Sirena is very well stabilized, and all of the R ships ride the waves like a duck. Their center of balance is very low for modern cruise ships, so their ride is very comfortable.

Even if you get unlucky with the weather, there isn't anything that you can do about it and you certainly won't be in any danger.....try to relax, let the crew pamper you, and enjoy.

Asian_Mandarin_Duck_Swimming_in_Water_Beautiful_Birds_Photo.jpg

For those who have done transatlantic crossings...how are the waters heading west in the month of October? Are they calm or rough? The closer we get to sailing the more nervous I am getting about 5 days at sea in rough waters. Any thoughts or comforting words?

Where is your stateroom? Since you are already worried about the sea state on your crossing, what deck and position on the ship did you select for your stateroom? That can make a huge difference in your comfort level in case of weather.

Low and mid-ships is best for a stable ride. After too many cruises with a day spent in misery, we abandoned the upper decks. Yes, we loved the extra square footage and advantages of PH/suites but the price -- and I'm not talking about the money -- of a day of sea sickness was too high.

Deck 7 (midships) is where you'll find us on the R ships. Deck 8 (midships) is where you'll find us on the O ships. No apologies. No self-consciousness.

Leaving Cadiz, we had an experience that confirmed our personal choice. We were at a outside cocktail party with friends who were staying in the OS on deck 7 when the sea became very turbulent. The motion was so great that everyone came inside and sat down. (Ship's personnel rushed into the suite and tied down every piece of outdoor furniture.) After coming indoors, we didn't stay much longer and headed back to our mid-ships cabin on the same deck. With every step towards mid-ships, the rocking of the boat diminished. By the time we got to our cabin, there was no motion to be felt.

Another suggestion. Even if you are in a low, mid-ships cabin, there may be some place to go that's lower. Deck 5 on the R ships has lots of comfortable chairs and sofas for reading or visiting with friends. Ditto for Deck 6 on the O ships.

There has been a debate about looking at the horizon VS not having any outside view during turbulent weather. You have to know what works for you. The standard advice is to keep your eye focused on the horizon, but that's a disaster for me. My peripheral vision is so good that I cannot block out the moving water even when focused on the distant horizon. The mixed signals to my brain do me in! I do best when I have no sight of the exterior. Chatting with other cruisers is more fun and engaging than reading, so that's what I do.

We also choose periods of turbulence to eat in the Grand Dining Room/Jacques/Red Ginger rather than Toscana/Polo/Terrace. (With the reorganization of restaurants their names on some ships have changed, but I'm sure you understand the point I'm making.)

I haven't really answered your exact question, but I hope you'll calm down a bit knowing that you have some specific strategies to use in case of turbulence.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We have done a dozen crossings in various ships. The highlight was on an R ship (700 pax) in a storm with 60 mph wind and 28 ft seas. We were in an aft-facing cabin on Deck 6, got out on the balcony and enjoyed the awesome display of wind and sea. Unfortunately most of our crossings were disappointingly smooth. I know, it takes all kinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has to be this one:

SIR170922.jpg

635976036516649317-Sirena-1.jpg21942536046_4e85ccd978.jpg

Sirena is very well stabilized, and all of the R ships ride the waves like a duck. Their center of balance is very low for modern cruise ships, so their ride is very comfortable.

Even if you get unlucky with the weather, there isn't anything that you can do about it and you certainly won't be in any danger.....try to relax, let the crew pamper you, and enjoy.

Asian_Mandarin_Duck_Swimming_in_Water_Beautiful_Birds_Photo.jpg

Yes, this is our itinerary. We leave Barcelona on September 22nd and arrive in Miami on October 8th. I am looking forward to it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Where is your stateroom? Since you are already worried about the sea state on your crossing, what deck and position on the ship did you select for your stateroom? That can make a huge difference in your comfort level in case of weather.

Low and mid-ships is best for a stable ride. After too many cruises with a day spent in misery, we abandoned the upper decks. Yes, we loved the extra square footage and advantages of PH/suites but the price -- and I'm not talking about the money -- of a day of sea sickness was too high.

Deck 7 (midships) is where you'll find us on the R ships. Deck 8 (midships) is where you'll find us on the O ships. No apologies. No self-consciousness.

Leaving Cadiz, we had an experience that confirmed our personal choice. We were at a outside cocktail party with friends who were staying in the OS on deck 7 when the sea became very turbulent. The motion was so great that everyone came inside and sat down. (Ship's personnel rushed into the suite and tied down every piece of outdoor furniture.) After coming indoors, we didn't stay much longer and headed back to our mid-ships cabin on the same deck. With every step towards mid-ships, the rocking of the boat diminished. By the time we got to our cabin, there was no motion to be felt.

Another suggestion. Even if you are in a low, mid-ships cabin, there may be some place to go that's lower. Deck 5 on the R ships has lots of comfortable chairs and sofas for reading or visiting with friends. Ditto for Deck 6 on the O ships.

There has been a debate about looking at the horizon VS not having any outside view during turbulent weather. You have to know what works for you. The standard advice is to keep your eye focused on the horizon, but that's a disaster for me. My peripheral vision is so good that I cannot block out the moving water even when focused on the distant horizon. The mixed signals to my brain do me in! I do best when I have no sight of the exterior. Chatting with other cruisers is more fun and engaging than reading, so that's what I do.

We also choose periods of turbulence to eat in the Grand Dining Room/Jacques/Red Ginger rather than Toscana/Polo/Terrace. (With the reorganization of restaurants their names on some ships have changed, but I'm sure you understand the point I'm making.)

I haven't really answered your exact question, but I hope you'll calm down a bit knowing that you have some specific strategies to use in case of turbulence.

We are midship on deck 7. It does help. Thank you!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

I am very susceptible to motion sickness, it the ship starts to sway, I take Compazine. I have actually only been seasick once in over 100 cruises. Now let's hope I did not jinx myself since I am sailing in another week!

Edited by blambition

I am very susceptible to motion sickness, it the ship starts to sway, I take Compazine. I have actually only been seasick once in over 100 cruises. Now let's hope I did not jinx myself since I am sailing in another week!

Compazine is a Rx drug and Bonine is O/C.

Also, Compazine makes me very drowsy. However, if that is what works for you then that is what you should take.

Hope you have a smooth sailing and will not have to use any medicine :).

FWIW (from WebMD)

What conditions does Compazine treat?

Compazine oral is used to treat the following:

Schizophrenia, Anxiety without Psychosis, Nausea and Vomiting, Severe Nausea and Vomiting that has Lasted a Long Time, Nausea and Vomiting caused by Cancer Drugs

Compazine oral may also be used to treat:

Prevent Nausea and Vomiting from Cancer Chemotherapy - *NB - no mention of motion sickness as indication for therapy (my comment)

Common side effects of Compazine:

A Feeling of Restlessness with Inability to Sit Still Severe

Abnormal Movements of Face Muscles and Tongue Severe

Abnormally Low Blood Pressure Severe

Blurred Vision Severe

Extrapyramidal Reaction Severe

Feeling Faint Severe

Pigmentary Retinopathy Severe

Blood Pressure Drop Upon Standing Less Severe

Decreased Sweating Less Severe

Dizzy Less Severe

Drowsiness Less Severe

* Severe meaning severe side effect

Bonine

Uses

Meclizine is an antihistamine that is used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. It may also be used to reduce dizziness and loss of balance (vertigo) caused by inner ear problems.

Side Effects

Drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

To relieve dry mouth, suck (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute

Of course, these are just possible side effects (like ALL medications) - it does not mean that everyone will suffer all or any of them at all, but the potential risks are very different for each of these 2 drugs, IMO

As always, YMMV

Edited by Paulchili

I have been cruising for years and years, and I have used both medications. I personally do not have any side effects with the prescription Compazine. So for me it is not a problem what I would not do is use a patch. That gives me such severe dry mouth, I have used it for surgery. First thing I tell them once I come out of anesthesia, is please remove the patch! I don't have any problems with getting drowsy from the Compazine so that is my particular drug of choice.

I just think that someone who knows that they get motion sickness very easily has an option to get a prescription if they want one from their doctor prior to sailing. Everyone should be well-informed so thanks for your post. Bonine is also very good medication, with a lot of people also swearing by using the pressure bands that you can buy.