Norwegian upgrade offers

Budski54

I am new to cruising with NCL. I have already been assigned my Guaranteed Balcony. The sail date is March 19, 2017, which is about 8 weeks from today. Can I expect that NCL will send me offers for Upgrades? If so, will they be Frequent? Will I be better off waiting until about a week before sail Date? Please share any experiences you have had with upgrade offers on NCL.

I am new to cruising with NCL. I have already been assigned my Guaranteed Balcony. The sail date is March 19, 2017, which is about 8 weeks from today. Can I expect that NCL will send me offers for Upgrades? If so, will they be Frequent? Will I be better off waiting until about a week before sail Date? Please share any experiences you have had with upgrade offers on NCL.

You can't expect that you will get upgrade offers. Most people do NOT get offers to upgrade.

If you actually want or need to upgrade, don't wait.

Edited by DinaS
Noticed he was on another ship :)

I am new to cruising with NCL. I have already been assigned my Guaranteed Balcony. The sail date is March 19, 2017, which is about 8 weeks from today. Can I expect that NCL will send me offers for Upgrades? If so, will they be Frequent? Will I be better off waiting until about a week before sail Date?

Please share any experiences you have had with upgrade offers on NCL.

Here's one for you, from an upcoming NCL Gem pax on CC...

"I had to pay almost double because I am travelling as a solo cruiser.

I made my reservation weeks in advance.

I was NOT told my "Ocean View Guarantee" could include a tiny porthole.

How did NCL treat the reservation of a tried and true passenger? You guessed it...a teeny, tiny porthole on deck 4.

OMG I am so upset I could cry, and just might. I'm travelling alone and looked forward to gazing out my picture window at the beautiful ocean. I am shocked that my loyalty to NCL means so little that out of all the cabins on all of the floors in all of the categories the only place they could stick me is on the bottom with a lousy porthole.

I am sorry if it sounds like I'm taking my disappointment out of my fellow cruise critters, but I think it's very important that we keep each other informed when things like this happen. I know that other passengers paid less than I did, got guarantees and ended up with a regular, wonderful ocean view room.

This is it.

I'm done with NCL unless they make this right, and if my conversation with NCL is any indication, they just don't care.

Again...SHAME ON YOU NCL!!!"

Edited by $hip$hape

Here's one for you, from an upcoming NCL Gem pax on CC...

"I had to pay almost double because I am travelling as a solo cruiser.

I made my reservation weeks in advance.

I was NOT told my "Ocean View Guarantee" could include a tiny porthole.

How did NCL treat the reservation of a tried and true passenger? You guessed it...a teeny, tiny porthole on deck 4.

OMG I am so upset I could cry, and just might. I'm travelling alone and looked forward to gazing out my picture window at the beautiful ocean. I am shocked that my loyalty to NCL means so little that out of all the cabins on all of the floors in all of the categories the only place they could stick me is on the bottom with a lousy porthole.

I am sorry if it sounds like I'm taking my disappointment out of my fellow cruise critters, but I think it's very important that we keep each other informed when things like this happen. I know that other passengers paid less than I did, got guarantees and ended up with a regular, wonderful ocean view room.

This is it.

I'm done with NCL unless they make this right, and if my conversation with NCL is any indication, they just don't care.

Again...SHAME ON YOU NCL!!!"

If a picture window cabin was THAT important, then it is their own fault for getting a guarantee cabin. Anyone looking at the NCL website at Oceanview guarantee categories will SEE that the possibilities are picture window, porthole, partially or COMPLETELY obstructed views.

The problem with a guarantee is that the ONLY thing you are guaranteed is to get AT LEAST the category you booked - and that is exactly what a porthole cabin was.

It would be nice to reward loyal customers with upgrades, but then if that were the case, every "loyal customer" would book the cheapest cabin knowing they would do better. That wouldn't work very well.

To shame NCL for selling exactly what they promised to sell is ludicrous.

Thanks for a reply. My wife and I usually sail on Holland America. Many, many times, HAL has sent email offers to upgrade. We always declined because we were happy with the cabin that we chose. I took a risk with NCL by booking a Guaranteed Balcony since there are hundreds of cabins with Balconies. I am not 100% satisfied with the location of 14226(Breakaway), but I will make the best of it.

Caveat Emptor!

If you buy a "Guaranteed" stateroom then that is what you will get; a stateroom within the class of staterooms you chose. You pay less to take the chance of what you will be given.

If you want a specific type of stateroom in any given class pay the extra and book that.

NCL guaranteed you a stateroom, they have kept their side of the bargain. If you want to change what you have been given then you pay the difference, don't expect NCL to give you something for nothing.

As someone else said earlier, if NCL were to upgrade all those who bought "Guarantee" then everyone would go that way!!

Thanks for a reply. My wife and I usually sail on Holland America. Many, many times, HAL has sent email offers to upgrade. We always declined because we were happy with the cabin that we chose. I took a risk with NCL by booking a Guaranteed Balcony since there are hundreds of cabins with Balconies. I am not 100% satisfied with the location of 14226(Breakaway), but I will make the best of it.

You paid for the lowest category, and you got a cabin 3 categories up from the bottom.

(BA category is a mid-ship balcony - and you booked at the price of a BD balcony, which could be anywhere.)

If that isn't good enough to make you happy, then you should NEVER book a guarantee cabin.