Drinks before leaving port

kayjay76

Taxes on drinks in port certainly didn't start with the UBP. In fact, for people cruising in Europe you could say that it has actually ended with the UBP.

I've been paying tax on drinks in the Med for 5 years now, since before the UBP existed, but currently we don't if we have the UBP.

When the ship is in port it is in the jurisdiction of whatever city,state, or country it is connected to. It is therefore subject to collect and pay the sales taxes on the products that it sells.
The question is, what product are they selling when you order a drink with the UBP in port?

If you purchase the UBP or the soda package in port, and then start using it, is the tax charged on the price of the product you purchased (the package) or on each individual drink (which you do not purchase)?

Does NCL pay sales taxes on every free drink served on the Sky when it's in FL waters?

I have no problems paying tax on ordinary purchases, but that's not what this thread is about.

The OP did not seem concerned about the cost to me, just curious.

Exactly Mark!

Wow who knew a simple question out of curiosity would make some (or one) think i'm a penny pinching cheapo haha. It truly was because I've never cruised before and just wanted to know if they do charge a tax. point blank. TY to most of you who saw the question for what it was... simple! haha

Edited by kayjay76