PROS-CONS TO AFT? Seasickness factor

Pier290

Not quite sure I agree. On deck 11 they are totally covered (hope you don't like the sun!).

On other decks they are partially covered and offers enough privacy from other decks if you want that. They are really light and airy and real suntraps (if you like the sun!).

Cheers

Gerry

Re: Deck 11 being covered, that's what I wrote. And the remainder are "partially covered" by less than half a meter of overhang. That hardly counts.

Probably posting from the bathroom

I actually was halfway joking (but just halfway ... hahaha!) ... but their ships certainly don't have the stability of the S Class ships. However, we were just up in Alaska on the Grand this past August. That itinerary usually has some pretty rough waters. I swear, there was nary a time when you could even tell you were on a ship ... smooth as could be. I went with my brother and sister in a law ... it was their first time. I told them they should go with us all the time if they were the ones that brought about those calm seas that we had experienced. Ohhhhh...they are spoiled now. I don't think that'll ever happen again. :D

LOL Okay, got it. ;) It's fine in calm seas, but the minute the winds get bad it almost feels like they have no draft or no ballast. The ships get knocked around a lot. I don't mind pitching but rolling can get old when you're trying sleep and stay IN the bed!

I also take 'sea bands' and wear them as a precaution in rough seas. I also take ginger tablets (in addition to Dramamine) and these work out famously. These can usually be found at your local drug store for around $5 each.

Also, ask for a basket of green apples for your room ...they are amazing for sea sickness. Don't drink a lot of liquids and get out on that balcony for a little fresh air, especially if you start feeling a little ill. I was so sick on one of my first cruises and found these cures ... now have sailed on 50 cruises since then, some at the very aft of the ship and have chosen the very front cabin on a cruise later this year. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise. Just remember, preventing sea sickness is so much better than trying to get over it.

We also bring the Reliefband and Meclizine (taken day before). Onboard, we eat green apple and drink Gosling Ginger Beer. Have not been bothered by motion sickness since.

I was always exceptionally vulnerable to motion sickness as a child, but slowly grew out of it. After over a dozen cruises with no sign of motion sickness, I was suddenly hit with seasickness on day one like a ton of bricks. I immediately recognized the symptoms. I took Bonine and after several hours of squinting my eyes, hoping to sleep it off, I was fine but missed dinner the first night. Happened again on the next cruise so I'm armed with Bonine (which I start taking the day before the cruise) and the sea bands, which I wore on an excursion on a catamaran. Knock on wood, I've had no episode on a cruise since then, but I take the pre-cruise precautions since I was miserable when it flared up unexpectedly. We book mid-ship, preferably on Deck 7 with a balcony.