Suggestions for Restaurant w/ Jazz in New York

cruzfvr

Debbi,

I had drinks and dinner at a very fun place last night that you might enjoy and/or your daughter might like for her group.

It's called Ideya and it's on West Broadway between Broome and Grand in Soho. They serve excellent nuevo latino/caribbean cuiseine in a very casual and fun atmosphere. And they make a mean mojito and fabulous caiperhina's.

www.ideya.net

Jane

Jane,

You do go out to eat a lot, which must be so much fun! I am going to print out all of your suggestions, bring my Zagat, and go from there! I will make reservations for the night time dining, but think we will just wing it for lunches. This is going to be great! Thanks so much.

~Debbi

Debbi,

I know! It's amazing I'm not 400 pounds! LOL!!! (tonight we stayed home and I cooked a low cal meal!)

Well, if your daughter decides to go to NYU, you'll have lots of "reasons" to visit here! :D

When you're walking around NY, bring the Zagat with you and you can use it two ways: If you see a place that looks interesting, look it up. (though if it's not listed, it doesn't mean it isn't good). Or if you're in a neighborhood, like the meat packing district, or the E 60's, or Chelsea, look up the neighborhood in the back of the book and pick something that suits your mood.

Spoke to my Mom today and we might be doing a little family get together in Las Vegas this spring. If so, I'll be asking you for some recommendations! :)

Jane,

Please let me know if you are coming to Las Vegas. DH will give you lots of recommendations for dining! If you have a special place in mind, let me know that too, so DH can check on reservations.

We made our reservations for Trattoria del 'Arte before we go to see "Jersey Boys" (matinee). We also made reservations for Cafe de Artistes. Now we are just waiting for news about Per Se. We will probably hit Carnegie Deli on a shopping day. Plus, we may have one more night to think about where to dine. Decisions, decisions!

We are really looking forward to visting New York again. I am keeping my fingers crossed that our daughter ends up at NYU. Like you said, I will have a reason for lots of visits!

~Debbi

Jane,

Please let me know if you are coming to Las Vegas. DH will give you lots of recommendations for dining! If you have a special place in mind, let me know that too, so DH can check on reservations.

Many thanks for the kind offer Debbi. As soon as we make some plans, I'll let you know. I haven't been to LV in about 3 years.

We made our reservations for Trattoria del 'Arte before we go to see "Jersey Boys" (matinee). We also made reservations for Cafe de Artistes. Now we are just waiting for news about Per Se. We will probably hit Carnegie Deli on a shopping day. Plus, we may have one more night to think about where to dine. Decisions, decisions!

Carnegie Deli on a shopping day? There's not much shopping around there. What kind of shopping? If you're going to be around Bendel's, Bergdorf's, Sak's area and want a "nice" lunch, then Brasserie 8 1/2 or Rue 57 is good french brasserie. But then again, a visit to NY isn't complete without a good corned beef or pastrami sandwich w/ pickles and a knish from Carnegie, Katz's or the 2nd Ave Deli. (I have to shlep kosher pickles to my friends in Paris from one of those places every time I go)

We are really looking forward to visting New York again. I am keeping my fingers crossed that our daughter ends up at NYU. Like you said, I will have a reason for lots of visits!

~Debbi

Soon you'll be checking out the NYTimes Real Estate section for apartments! LOL! My stepbrother who's lived LA for 20 years, wound up with a Tribeca Loft after his eldest daughter started at NYU. She's now graduated and he's now bi-coastal! :)

Jane

Jane,

I know the deli's aren't by the shopping areas, but we just have to have a corned beef sandwich and a pickle! That might be the only day we can fit it in. We aren't going to do a lot of shopping anyway. I do want to find a Bliss store though. We are also thinking of hitting another Broadway show matinee instead of the shopping that day.

Wish we could get an apartment in NY, but then we wouldn't have any money left over to travel! Our daughter would have to stay in the dorm for the first semester at least. Maybe she will meet a couple of girls to share an apartment after that. Your stepbrother was smart to buy a loft!

LV has changed so much in three years, you are not going to recognize it! The offer stands, so just let me know!

~Debbi

Jane,

I know the deli's aren't by the shopping areas, but we just have to have a corned beef sandwich and a pickle! That might be the only day we can fit it in. We aren't going to do a lot of shopping anyway. I do want to find a Bliss store though. We are also thinking of hitting another Broadway show matinee instead of the shopping that day.

There are three Bliss shops:

57th Street between 5th and Madison Ave

Lexington Ave and 49th Street

Broadway and Prince St. (Soho)

Yeah, you gotta have a corned beef and a pickle! Can't get a decent one anywhere else in the universe other than here.

Our daughter would have to stay in the dorm for the first semester at least. Maybe she will meet a couple of girls to share an apartment after that.

She probably won't want to. The NYU dorms are in the best neighborhoods and apt rents in NYC are so high, it's the best deal in town. The worst part of graduating from NYU is losing a cheap place to live! Heck I'D live in one of the NYU dorms if they'd let me! LOL!!!

LV has changed so much in three years, you are not going to recognize it! The offer stands, so just let me know!

~Debbi

Will do! :)

Jane

Jane,

Thanks for the info on the Bliss shops. I will definitely hit one of them.

We got our reso for Per Se. Just for the fun of it, I called to make one, and they said no more reservations for two for the date we wanted. My DH's connections called, and we got in. We are looking forward to a great dining experience!

~Debbi

Jane,

Thanks for the info on the Bliss shops. I will definitely hit one of them.

We got our reso for Per Se. Just for the fun of it, I called to make one, and they said no more reservations for two for the date we wanted. My DH's connections called, and we got in. We are looking forward to a great dining experience!

~Debbi

Debbi,

FABULOUS! It's good to have connections! :) You going for lunch or dinner (same menu).

Bring your camera. There are some gorgeous views of Central Park and Columbus Circle from the windows.

I'd love to hear your review of it afterwards.

Jane

Carnegie Deli on a shopping day? There's not much shopping around there. What kind of shopping? If you're going to be around Bendel's, Bergdorf's, Sak's area and want a "nice" lunch, then Brasserie 8 1/2 or Rue 57 is good french brasserie. But then again, a visit to NY isn't complete without a good corned beef or pastrami sandwich w/ pickles and a knish from Carnegie, Katz's or the 2nd Ave Deli. (I have to shlep kosher pickles to my friends in Paris from one of those places every time I go)

/quote]

Didn't Second Avenue Deli close?

• 1 month later...

Hi Jane, We are back from our little trip to NYC. I want to thank you for your suggestions. We thought Per Se was wonderful. It is on the pricey side, but we thought worth it. We got a tour of the kitchen, and it is amazing. The service is great, also. Beautiful view of Central Park.

We ate at Trattoria Dell 'Arte after the Carnegie Hall concert (our daughter's high school band was awesome by the way!). We closed the place! Loved the pasta.

Had a deli pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli, which was delicious. We also ate at Cafe des Artistes, and the Chocolate Fondue for two was the best fondue I have had. It is very romantic in the restaurant. We ordered a bottle of Krug non-vintage champagne, and the cork just slid out. Our waitress removed the cork, and poured the champagne without offering a taste. After she left the table, I had a taste, and it was corked (smelled very musty as well). My husband tried it, and agreed. We asked to see the cork, and it was very thin and dry. We told our waitress the champagne was corked, and she smelled it, and agreed. We then ordered the Dom, which was wonderful. Service was ok, but loved the food!

We stayed at the W Times Square and found a little Italian restaurant on 48 St, I believe. It is called, La Masseria. It was very good, and they had the best fried calamari there. It has the calamari, plus shrimp and scallops.

Anyway, our dining experience was great, and we can't wait to come back to NY. We love it there. My daughter and I will be back in May to help my son get all his instruments on board the cruise ship for his 10 week job. Can't wait! Are you still coming to Las Vegas?

~Debbi

Hi Debbi,

Thanks for writing.

Seems you've only acratched the surface of my list, so you have to come back! <g>

I like Katz' deli the best, but usually don't recommend it because it's generally out of the way for most people. Glad you liked it.

Isn't Cafe des Artistes gorgeous? I just love that place. They could serve me scrambled eggs and I'd be happy.

I've not been to La Masseria, but Zagat gives them a great write-up. I'm just never in the theatre district.

Glad you got a tour of the Per Se kitchen. We didn't get that, but we did get the private room off the main dining room, so no complaints. <g> I'll never go back there (unless someone else picks up the tab) but DH and I are glad we went. You now need to try Bouley, Chanterelle and Danube.

Oh, and you didn't get to Tabla. Aqua Grill or Mesa Grill. You MUST come back! :D

Unfortunately, our plans for a family reunion in Las Vegas were cancelled.:(

If you need any tips for your May trip, just let me know!

Jane

Aww geez, thanks guys! <blushing>

Bayman, I have been told many times I should write a book, but to be honest, once on a bookshelf, it just becomes yet another book. But if you know anyone who owns a radio station and needs a vibrant food-and-fashion loving host, do let me know! :D

Jane

(Food and Fashion enthusiast for NYC & Paris)

Latest recommendation: Cookshop in Chelsea on 20th Street and 10th Ave.

Jane, you do cover a wide range of knowledge. First you gave my wife advice on what to look for when buying thongs and now you've critiqued a restaurant that a couple can spend $500 - 600 for dinner!

On another note; did you ever hear of the While Barn Inn, in Kennebunkport ME? My wife and I went there this March and it was a wonderful time, with an outstanding restaurant. If you ever head north to Maine, it would be a place to consider.

www.whitebarninn.com

Ohhh, more recommendations for food! If I lived in NY, I would be huge! I gained three pounds in just four days, and I walked a lot! Anyway, thanks again Jane, I will jot down the other dining spots for future reference. I enjoy reading your posts!

~Debbi

Jane, you do cover a wide range of knowledge. First you gave my wife advice on what to look for when buying thongs and now you've critiqued a restaurant that a couple can spend $500 - 600 for dinner!

Yeah, I'm a wealth of knowledge on useless info! LOL!

Well, the $600. dinner was a once in a lifetime experience, not an everyday snack!

On another note; did you ever hear of the While Barn Inn, in Kennebunkport ME? My wife and I went there this March and it was a wonderful time, with an outstanding restaurant. If you ever head north to Maine, it would be a place to consider.

www.whitebarninn.com

In Kennebunkport, we stayed at the Capt. Lord Mansion, which was wonderful. Ate at alot of places, including Mables. I knew we went by the White Barn Inn, but don't recall if we ate there or not. I thnk we ate in The White Barn Inn someplace in Vermont, though.

Haven't been to Maine in a few years, but would love to go back. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jane

Ohhh, more recommendations for food! If I lived in NY, I would be huge! I gained three pounds in just four days, and I walked a lot! Anyway, thanks again Jane, I will jot down the other dining spots for future reference. I enjoy reading your posts!

~Debbi

Thanks Debbi.

It IS hard keeping the weight down in this city. Thank goodness for all the walking I do!

Archived