First Time Cruiser - B2B on Different Ships

undrwtr1

First time cruiser in a unique situation. Wife has never cruised and I last cruised in the 70s on the Italian Lines out of NYC. Although our normal vacations involve outdoor adventures (hiking, National Parks, scuba, etc.) we always said we should experience a cruise, especially since a close friend is a frequent cruiser and kept insisting we would have a wonderful time.

So, we booked Celebrity Reflection for a western Caribbean trip in February, figuring we could dive in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. However, after the 90 day cancellation date passed with Celebrity, my wife was awarded a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas from her employer for the same week! Rather than even attempt to cancel, and since we had planned the Celebrity cruise for my 50th, we decided to work with Celebrity to try a back-to-back adventure that would work around the existing cruise she had been awarded. We head out on Oasis of the Seas from Port Canaveral and the Sunday of our return we rent a car and head to Port Everglades to board Celebrity Silhouette. Since they are both on an eastern itinerary with overlapping ports which we have been to many, many times, we are planning on total relaxation on the ship with perhaps only a trip to the beach here and there.

My real question is whether anyone with experience on both ships (or lines) can guide us with some advice with what to expect from each ship and what things we should seek to do on one versus the other, and vice-versa. I have been lurking and have read a lot of the posts on here, but looking for some specific input as it pertains to back-to-back cruises as well as the differences between the ships.

I have already set up select dining, drink packages and internet on both cruises as well as a couple of “beach” excursions and “behind the scenes tours”. I have set up entertainment as well through RCI for the Oasis, while there is no opportunity to do so on Celebrity’s site.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as my wife and I are a bit apprehensive to be doing 2 weeks back-to-back as our first cruise “experience”. Thanks again!

Gerry

P.S. I figured I’d post this on the Royal Caribbean Forum as well as the Celebrity Forum, if that is a violation of some forum protocol, forgive my ignorance.

It's a VACATION...that's all! On a moving resort! The Celebrity cruise will be a bit "quieter" than on RCI...but the overall experience will be similar.

Read up on your ports, to get the most from your time ashore. Learn about the beaches, transportation, food/drink, shopping, etc....

This is not a true "Back to back"....more of a "side to side"!. Be aware that neither Celebrity or RCI offer self-service laundries....You might want to find a laundromat in Ft. Laud before you head to Oasis!

CB - I love the reference... side to side - so clever!

Undrwtr1 - I would suggest that you check out some of the Reflection cruise reviews that are currently circulating on this board. That will give you a real sense of what a cruise on that ship will be like. What I love about these reviews is that they provide perspective from two different generations - both are very enjoyable reading...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447364&highlight=reflection

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2442584&highlight=reflection

And as for the lack of ability to make reservations for shows before boarding on Celebrity, that's because there are no reservations taken for shows - period. It's first come first served. (Unless you are in a suite and then there is a reserved section for suite passengers on formal/chic nights only.)

Enjoy your 'at-sea' vacation!

And as for the lack of ability to make reservations for shows before boarding on Celebrity, that's because there are no reservations taken for shows - period. It's first come first served. (Unless you are in a suite and then there is a reserved section for suite passengers on formal/chic nights only.)

True, but unlike the Oasis, reservations aren't needed either. I've never seen anyone unable to get a seat.

Mike

We've done something similar a couple of times. Personally, you're doing it the right way by sailing Oasis first as you'll need some relaxation after experiencing all her facilities :). You will compare, it's hard not to ;). We enjoyed both ships, but for different reasons: Oasis for the entertainment and Silhouette for the service and crew.