Amber cove question

ian moore

We are stopping off at Amber Cove for a day on a Princess Cruise.

We are not beach people and thought we would like to spend time in Puerto Plata.

Are there transit buses from the port to Puerto Plata ( as there are on many Carribean islands) or is it just the usual overpriced taxis?

Thanks for help.

Ian & Emily Moore

I didn't see any transit buses by the port. The taxi was $70.00 for the day including tour time. So, we paid about 17 a person to tour the island and taxi both ways. We felt it was reasonable. However, Puerto Plata wasn't a great place. We actually cut our tour short and enjoyed Amber Cove more than Puerto Plata. Very unusual for me as I always think one should get out of the man made port area. Amber Cove is very nice though.

I didn't see any transit buses by the port. The taxi was $70.00 for the day including tour time. So, we paid about 17 a person to tour the island and taxi both ways. We felt it was reasonable. However, Puerto Plata wasn't a great place. We actually cut our tour short and enjoyed Amber Cove more than Puerto Plata. Very unusual for me as I always think one should get out of the man made port area. Amber Cove is very nice though.

Thanks for saying this . Others have said the same. Seems Amber Cove, even if the man made port area, is actually the best choice.

If Princess offer any of the social impact activities I would highly recommend doing this. We have done the wine to Warner, reforestation, Teaching English at a school and Repapel the paper coop....they were all amazing! I know may not be for everyone but for us it was life changing! The most interesting and also rewarding excursions we have ever done! I have been on over 40 cruises and these activities were fantastic!