MSC Divina 1/28-2/4/17 Trip Summation

NoName

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the photos and great review. Your grandson is so handsome by the way.

I do have some questions about the kids camp. How late can the kids stay there? Can we pick them up after the evening show or it is just for the dinner time? It would be fun that most of the kids can't speak English. What about the teachers? Do they speak English or they need to speak multiple languages? Did your grandson attend the final performance? Was it in English or multiple languages? It would be nice if my son can lean some other languages too!

Your review is very encouraging for the food. I read some reviews rate the food is mediocre at best but now I can keep my expectation higher! We only sailed once and was on Carnival. I loved their food pretty much especially from the MDR. How do you compare the food between these two? Your review on the dining service is also very positive. Everything is very prompt and efficient. I wonder why some fellows mentioned about the slow service. Do you think this ship is not fully loaded or is because you were not dining at the Black Crab MDR? The embarkation and disembarkation time is very impressive. I took 1 hour each on Carnival so that is super encouraging! Lastly is the Alamo shuttle pick up location far from the cruise terminal?

Sorry for so many questions and I hope you will recover from the falling soon!

Sean

The Alamo shuttle pick up is very close to the door. 30steps?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Thanks for posting about your food experience!! I'm sailing MSC Divina March 18 (Fantastica?) with my Mom and I've only sailed once prior to this (Carnival Destiny - 2012). How can I find out what food items are NOT included with this experience? I want my Mom to be able to enjoy juice and water and have the option to drink hot tea with breakfast.

With the Fantastica "experience" you can order breakfast to the cabin without charge - it's a continental breakfast with limited items. You place your order (which is supplied in the cabin) on your doorknob before 2am. It includes hot tea, coffee and what passes for 'juice' (more like flavoured water). These are also served in the MDR for breakfast so your mom will be covered whichever way you go :)

Thank you Kim for an incredible, informative, helpful review of your Divina cruise! We set sail on her (7 cabins, 16 people) shortly and your review definitely planted a few must-dos and don't bothers in my head!!

Thanks for the inside scoop on the elevator, I will be on the lookout for that! Also thanks for the sports bar info... we typically find a place on every cruise where we tend to gravitate to, for this cruise, methinks it will be the sports bar!! Thanks again!

Final Thoughts & Misc. Musings:

I did enjoy several benefits from the status match to “Gold”. I received a fruit bowl on embarkation-I really enjoyed having this handy snack! I also received a free 1 hour pass to the thermal spa. I gave it to my daughter-in-law and she really enjoyed it. I also received priority tender tickets in Grand Cayman, but since my hip was hurting post fall...I stayed on board and gave the tickets to my son and his girlfriend. They enjoyed not waiting for the tender. (By the way, they were still calling tender tickets at noon! We laughed that those getting off at the time will have to turn back around and ride back because they were out of time). I also received an invite to a party along with a gift certificate for a free photo. I didn't attend. (The photo department wasn't my favorite department by this point in the cruise:) These gifts were all appreciated.

I wonder why they don't sell drinks in the show lounge. No drink service at all. This was very odd to us and we always have a drink or two while watching the show. We usually get there early to have our first drink. Instead my poor husband had to trek out to find our beverages. Perhaps if alcohol had been involved, I may have enjoyed the shows more? Lol. Certainly this is a way MSC could increase revenue!

I wish they would lighten up on the Water slide rules. My grandson has been on water slides many times, much bigger and MUCH faster.....but to ride this slide you have to be 48 inches AND 8 years old? My grandson measured 47.5 and is age 6.5 and it was a no go. I would understand parents having to sign a waiver, but not letting them ride at all, seems a little too restrictive to me. Especially since the slide doesn't even end in a pool...so there is no need to know how to swim. Oh well.

My son is a tennis table fanatic and after receiving the advice on cruise critic, we did pack our own balls and paddles. A previous poster said getting these on board wasn't easy. I found out this is true. These are not kept near the tables. Instead, you need to go up to the formula one car station and sign them out. The sign said they charge a $30 deposit, however I can't verify if they actually charged or not since we had our own. (However, they probably do since they charged us $30 deposit for an electrical extension cord).

We had a wonderful family vacation. I would be happy to sail MSC again. My favorite line remains Carnival (only newer ships), followed by NCL. However, for the right itinerary and the right price, I will be back on board. For us, it was a nice vacation because we were traveling as a family and wanted family time. That is why even though the scheduled entertainment wasn't for me....it didn't matter that much. We brought a board game and had fun with that. Besides, there is always plenty to do when traveling with a 6 year old.

I hope this information helps someone else planning their trip on the Divina. Don't worry, the Divina is a beautiful ship (almost too big for me) and the staff are very kind and helpful (again, taking the photo department out of the equation lol ) and you will have a fabulous vacation!

Happy Sailings!

Kim

Thank you so much for the detailed review. I am very disappointed to learn that your grandson was unable to use the water slide. My son is also 6.5 and also 47.5". We sail in April and every night he tells me how excited he is to use the water slide. I am NOT looking forward to breaking his little heart!!

Thank you so much for the detailed review. I am very disappointed to learn that your grandson was unable to use the water slide. My son is also 6.5 and also 47.5". We sail in April and every night he tells me how excited he is to use the water slide. I am NOT looking forward to breaking his little heart!!

If it is any consolation, my grandson had so much other fun that he shrugged it off and went on. Kim

Photo Package Fail:

I purchased the 100 photo package pre-cruise, planning family pictures. On the 2nd day of the cruise, I took my photos to the desk to be put in a folder for me. Unfortunately, I was told at that time that the photo package could only be used for our cabin. I explained that this was not included in the description of what I had purchased, and that I wanted to use the package to get pictures of my kids and the family all together....the gentleman apologized but reiterated the same.

I then requested a refund as I didn't want 100 photos of my husband and I. The attendant then called the manager and came back with the same answer. I then asked again about getting a refund. He at first said he couldn't give me a refund because they didn't charge us for the package, MSC America did. I told him that I didn't care where the refund came from, and to contact MSC America if he needed to. He said when his manager was available, he would discuss it with him and I should stop back later.

I went back the next day and was told that they would put in for a refund for me, but it may take a couple of weeks for the refund to be issued back to my bank. I said this was fine, but requested something stating this so that if the refund never showed up, I would have a paper trail. The attendant then called the manager and relayed my request while I was standing there. When he hung up he said the manager would give me a letter and to stop back tomorrow to get it......I stopped back the next day...he called the manager....I was told he was very busy....and to stop back later...I went back several more times and received the same instruction.

Finally, the day before the last day of the cruise I had had enough. This time when I went back, the attendant told me the manager could not write me a letter and perhaps when I returned home I could contact MSC America and request a refund. I was furious and demanded to speak with the “Manager”. He called him and then told me the manager couldn't meet with me as he was in a meeting. I said I am not leaving until I speak with him. He called him again and this time was told he would be available in 20 minutes. I stood at the desk waiting. I was sick of the run around and had wasted way to much of my vacation time on this matter.

I set the timer on my phone for 20 minutes.....20 minutes came and went. It was 30 minutes before he came out. Once he came out, he was very nice and OFFERED TO LET ME HAVE MY FAMILY PHOTOS! I told him it was too late....we never had another picture taken after being told that we couldn't have them included in the package! I then asked for a letter stating they had requested a refund on my behalf. The Manger explained it was against company policy to share inter-company correspondence! I stated again that I JUST NEEDED A PAPER TRAIL in case things didn't go as planned!

At this time, a woman standing with him introduced herself, Patricia Diez-Ghersy, Director of Operations for MSC. She said she just happened to be on board this week and usually worked in the offices. She said that she would contact MSC personally in the morning to get the refund started. again asked for a document proving this. She said she couldn't give me one. I said that when I get off the boat and the refund never comes, I have no way of ever proving that I didn't accept the photo package and received zero photos. She told me that she would send a copy of her business card to my cabin and that she very seldom interacts with guests and she would remember me. She also said she would ask if once they processed the refund that perhaps the office could send me an email. She said if I didn't get the refund I could contact her using the information on her card. She also gave me the phone number to the phone she was carrying on the ship.

Well, the business card never came. Before bed, I called her on the number she provided and she answered right away. She said she didn't know why the card never reached me, but she would send another. On the night before debarkation, I still hadn't received her card. This time I called the reception desk to see if it was there. It was not. They said they would contact her to ask about this. About 15 minutes later a staff member from the reception desk knocked on my door. She wanted to confirm that I had never received the business card as she said she wrote the note on the card herself. I stated again I didn't receive it. I could see her trying to peek in the room as if to look herself. She then said, “well, you have been told that you are getting a refund, yes”. I said again that I had been told that , but I needed some type of documentation proving this just in case the refund never showed up in my account. She said she would contact Ms. Diez-Ghersy. That was the last I heard of it.

I got off the ship with no proof what-so-ever. The whole process was ridiculously frustrating. I was sure that I would never see that $100 again.

However, much to my surprise, the day after debarkation, the refund was in my bank account. (I thought I had paid $100...I was refunded $98 so perhaps I simply didn't remember what I was actually charged.) I was very happy to receive this refund, but boy did I feel like I really had to work for it!

The moral of the story is, if you plan on photos of guests belonging to more than one cabin, make sure all pay for the photo package! I still think this is a tremendous value, but since my kids were spread out over 3 cabins, I wasn't interested in paying $300, but that is still a decent value.

(I must say, just writing out this ordeal of a process brought back a flashback of the frustration....the way I see it...MSC owes me about 2 hours of vacation time!-for that is about how much time I wasted on this fiasco!)

This is disappointing and very frustrating. I've been considering the package. It appears I'd only have to make one purchase in my name; but what if it is a photo of my kid and wife (same room); if I am not in the photo we can't have it? Or if grandparents are in the photo WITH us, we can't have it? MSC's website is not very clear as to exactly what you pay for. While $1 per photo sounds enticing, if it is a big hassle I'd rather not pay anything.

Fortunately for us my grandson is 8 so that won't be an issue.

We are also traveling as s family. Our son and his wife being the most experienced, but not in the Divina.

I'm disappointed to hear that no drinks are served during the shows. Like you, that's my time to relax with s couple glasses of wine.

I've seen people mention the "Roll Call". Can someone tell me what that is and where I can get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also traveling as s family. Our son and his wife being the most experienced, but not in the Divina.

I'm disappointed to hear that no drinks are served during the shows. Like you, that's my time to relax with s couple glasses of wine.

I've seen people mention the "Roll Call". Can someone tell me what that is and where I can get it?

Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=524

Basically, you can see if your particular cruise is listed so you can share info with those travelling on the same cruise to arrange shared excursions, meet ups etc

This is disappointing and very frustrating. I've been considering the package. It appears I'd only have to make one purchase in my name; but what if it is a photo of my kid and wife (same room); if I am not in the photo we can't have it? Or if grandparents are in the photo WITH us, we can't have it? MSC's website is not very clear as to exactly what you pay for. While $1 per photo sounds enticing, if it is a big hassle I'd rather not pay anything.

Anyone in the same room is eligible under the package. Your son and wife, as long as they are sharing your room are included...no problem. However, technically, the grandparents wouldn't be included. You could alway also purchase it for the grandparents cabin and as long as you both have it, you should be okay.

Is was a real hassle. Sorry. Kim

Thank you!! Excellent and very helpful review! I took lots of notes! What are the operating times for breakfast and lunch in the MDR?

I don't remember what time breakfast started, but I remember it was only open until 0930. Sorry, can't remember lunch hours, but the dining room is only open on sea days.

You can take a drink in with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can take a drink in with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately the don't make it easy to take drinks in. There are people stationed at the entrance taking your drinks or asking you to finish before entering. If you enter after the show has started the drink police are usually gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, back to the photo packages. If my family has 5 rooms booked then we need to purchase 5 packages just in case one of the grandkids or kids is in the photo?

Believe me.....I fought a hard battle....and got nowhere! You could always just pay for those "few" photos separately, which would be way cheaper than the 5 cabins.

Unfortunately the don't make it easy to take drinks in. There are people stationed at the entrance taking your drinks or asking you to finish before entering. If you enter after the show has started the drink police are usually gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn't our experience last week. We picked our seats, then I sent my husband out for drinks and he brought them back. Perhaps we just got lucky? Kim