Norwegian Star vs. Celebrity Mercury???

kidsrn

Am looking into a Mexican Riv. cruise for March 06. Have found cruises on both and wanted opinions on which someone might prefer....I have done Carb. Cruises before so don't know the Mexican Ports or Cruise lines that do that side.

Another thing is has anyone booked shore excursions privately?? Who would you reccomend? I have learned the Cruise lines are expensive and over crowded. The private ones are usually better and more personal.

Let me know what you think...

The Star is newer and bigger than the Mercury, with many more restaurants. The Star is crusing 8 day itineraries with 4 ports, while the Mercury is doing 10 and 11 days, both with 6 ports. On the cruises with the extra day, you get an extra at sea day.

6 ports vs 4 ports, a newer larger ship vs an older smaller ship, it's a tossup in my opinion. You're asking us to compare apple to oranges.

The Star is newer and bigger than the Mercury, with many more restaurants. The Star is crusing 8 day cruises with 4 ports, while the Mercury is doing 10 and 11 day cruises, both with 6 ports. On the cruises with the extra day, you get an extra at sea day.

You're asking us to compare apple to oranges. How much time do you have available for a cruise? Are the extra ports worth the extra cost?

My opinion, you'll have a great cruise on either ship.

the mercury i agree is an older ship,,

great service. but older,,,

older crowd,..................definetley.... not much for kids to do...

entertainment was 3 out of 10 for my taste...

food was great....

ive heard more positives about NCL... more kids activites , more food choices and FREESTYLE DINING A++++ my reason for choosing this cruiseline .. formal night optional. yeahhhhh

have a great time, which ever you choose

melissa

yes I know apples vs. oranges that was the problem. I am unfamilar with either cruise line or ships. I need information and thought this was the place to look. I understand that the one cruise is longer than the other. But which offers the better ports? Which offers more for a 40yr old divorcee' ? I'm older but I'm not dead...:)

I have done Carnival in the past and didn't really want the 20 something crowd but I don't want the 60 something crowd either. Which cruise line would be better??

If I am more specific will that help??

yes I know apples vs. oranges that was the problem.

I have done Carnival in the past and didn't really want the 20 something crowd but I don't want the 60 something crowd either. Which cruise line would be better??

Celeberity generally draws a higher percentage of retirees than NCL. Carnival draws a higher percentage of younger adults than NCL. So, on that factor alone, I recommend NCL.

A warning for the future, NCL is doing more longer cruises next year than this year, and longer cruises draw a higher percentage of retirees than week long cruises, much like shorter cruises draw a larger percentage of young adults.

It appears if you want to cruise with the 45-50 year old crowd, the Norwegian Star may be your ship. The Star has a wonderful intinerary, everyone of her ports are great. You'll enjoy the Star so much, you'll catch the cruise bug too.

Its my opinion that Celebrity isn't worth the extra cost. I have found service on NCL ships satisfactory.

I've sailed with both Celebrity and NCL but not on either of the ships you mentioned so I can't give you particulars about those ships. About the lines, in general, I think it depends a lot on what you want from your cruise. You say you have cruised before in the Caribbean so, what did you like best about those cruises? If you liked dressing up for the formal nights and the feeling that your waiter got to know you and gave you more personal service because of that, you may like Celebrity better. If, on the other hand you found it annoying to have to dress for formal night and to show for dinner at the same time each evening, you might enjoy freestyle cruising.

While the ports may be important to you, I wouldn't give them too very much weight when choosing one cruise over another.

If you have followed this board for any length of time, you should know that the ports shown on a cruise itinerary are merely indications of where the ship may actually go. Ports may be changed or skipped due to inclement weather, engine problems or even just at the whim of the cruise line. When you book the ticket, you agree to give the line the right to change any or all of the ports any time they want to with no compensation or even explanation to you. If you don't beleive this do a search and read some of the threads about this year's engine problems on the Dream.

My advice would always be to choose based on what each ship had to offer in terms of ammenities, food, service and activities that interest you.

Good luck, whatever line you choose!

Yes!!! That was what I needed to hear. I have been leaning towards NCL but didn't know for sure. I would prefer to sail with more mature mates. I have a collage age personage and know how they party and am to old for that crap. But I am not too old if you know what I mean.

I have been going through the boards looking for information and need to know more on the Star. I have done a spa treatment with carnival should I expect more from NCL?? Is quality better. It appears that service is so does NCL qualify as higher end?? I know they are not a 5+ star but hey???

Archived