First Time Using A Travel Agent

I've gone on several cruises and have never used a TA. Well after reading rave reviews about TA's I decided to try one for my upcoming cruise. One of the major benefits that I see so far is the additional OBC. My major problem is that when I call in to make a payment, I do not receive an updated copy of my contract automatically. I have to request a copy of the contract and then I will receive it in 7 to 10 days. This is problematic because I not only booked the rooms for myself but for 4 other couples that are first time cruisers. If someone gives me money, I like to be able to give them a receipt right away. My TA does send me an email confirming that the payment was made in "X" amount of dollars but it does not show the remaining balance. I can log onto the Carnival website to confirm my booking but I can't see my actual contract. The contract provided by my TA does not show the OBC from the TA, although it does show the OBC from Carnival.

My question is, is this standard when you use a TA or did I just select the wrong one. Everything else seems to be fine so far. Anytime I call with a question (price adjustment) they check with Carnival and get back with me pretty quickly. My question is, is this standard when you use a TA or did I just select the wrong one.

It actually sounds like you have a good TA.

You do give up a level of control with a TA. That is just the way it is. And since your TA is doing price matches for you, it is further indication you have a good one. Those price drops come out of their commission. So they really are taking care of you.

When you use a TA that offers OBC above what the cruise line offers you run the risk of lesser service. The extra spending money for you is coming out of their commission. They are likely going to add it closer to travel which is why you don't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It actually sounds like you have a good TA.

You do give up a level of control with a TA. That is just the way it is. And since your TA is doing price matches for you, it is further indication you have a good one. Those price drops come out of their commission. So they really are taking care of you.

Thanks Springs741. I didn't realize the price drops come out of their commission. Wow. But now that I know that, I may feel guilty calling them for an adjustment if it's for a small amount. However, I have no problem calling the cruise line directly. I may be to much of a control freak to use a TA in the future. :D

When you use a TA that offers OBC above what the cruise line offers you run the risk of lesser service. The extra spending money for you is coming out of their commission. They are likely going to add it closer to travel which is why you don't see it.

Redxpanda, so now I'm confused. Some people rave about the TA's and you stated that I run the risk of lesser service. I guess its really a personal preference. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning.

I've gone on several cruises and have never used a TA. Well after reading rave reviews about TA's I decided to try one for my upcoming cruise. One of the major benefits that I see so far is the additional OBC. My major problem is that when I call in to make a payment, I do not receive an updated copy of my contract automatically. I have to request a copy of the contract and then I will receive it in 7 to 10 days. This is problematic because I not only booked the rooms for myself but for 4 other couples that are first time cruisers. If someone gives me money, I like to be able to give them a receipt right away. My TA does send me an email confirming that the payment was made in "X" amount of dollars but it does not show the remaining balance. I can log onto the Carnival website to confirm my booking but I can't see my actual contract. The contract provided by my TA does not show the OBC from the TA, although it does show the OBC from Carnival.

My question is, is this standard when you use a TA or did I just select the wrong one. Everything else seems to be fine so far. Anytime I call with a question (price adjustment) they check with Carnival and get back with me pretty quickly. My question is, is this standard when you use a TA or did I just select the wrong one.

You need a new one.

I'm a TA and as soon as I make payments for my clients I send an email directly from the GoCCL website. I'm not sure why your TA doesn't do that. It's crazy easy as it's on the same page where we make the payment. All you do is type in an email addy (which will actually populate after your first payment) and click send. Much easier than drafting a receipt. I'm all about quick and simple lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Springs741. I didn't realize the price drops come out of their commission. Wow. But now that I know that, I may feel guilty calling them for an adjustment if it's for a small amount. However, I have no problem calling the cruise line directly. I may be to much of a control freak to use a TA in the future. :D

You booked thru the TA. They own your booking. The cruise line will not speak with you regarding price drops. That is one of the things you give control away with a TA.

I didn't realize the price drops come out of their commission. Wow. But now that I know that, I may feel guilty calling them for an adjustment if it's for a small amount.

It does NOT "come out" of their commission. The commission is a percentage. If the fare is less, the commission is less. But they DO NOT cover the entire drop.

It does NOT "come out" of their commission. The commission is a percentage. If the fare is less, the commission is less. But they DO NOT cover the entire drop.

Thanks for the clarification. Bottom line if the price drops and they submit for you they earn less. Hence my saying to the OP that they must have a good one.

That is not at all correct. In most instances the extra OBC that is coming from the TA is coming from a group amenity or perk.

If a client is booked into a group the commission isn't affected by the OBC.

I'm a TA and as soon as I make payments for my clients I send an email directly from the GoCCL website. I'm not sure why your TA doesn't do that. It's crazy easy as it's on the same page where we make the payment. All you do is type in an email addy (which will actually populate after your first payment) and click send. Much easier than drafting a receipt. I'm all about quick and simple lol.

Do you give OBC for every carnival booking done thru you?

This does not sound typical. I cannot speak to other's experiences with TAs, but mine sends the contract/receipt immediately after booking (within minutes). It is kinda frustrating though that I cannot speak with the cruiseline directly about my booking and any potential changes. But thankfully my TA is great and on top of things so I trust that she is doing just as good of a job when talking to them as I would do myself. She's happy to call them about price drops, etc

Price drops absolutely do not come out of their commission... it may lower their commission though. If you booked a cruise at $500 with a 15% commission, they are due $75; if the price drops to $450, then they are only due $67. The $50 is from the cruise line dropping the price but since commissions are based on the fare price, a lower fare equals lower commissions.

But there's no reason to feel bad about asking for a price drop, that's what they are being paid to do. Most agents would rather have a happy customer with a lower fare that comes back year after year than someone who pays a higher fare and then books directly with the cruise line the next time because they felt bad about asking for the drop.

I agree the being unable to talk to the cruise line is frustrating; but I get enough discounts/OBC by using TAs that it's a no brainer.

Price drops absolutely do not come out of their commission... it may lower their commission though. If you booked a cruise at $500 with a 15% commission, they are due $75; if the price drops to $450, then they are only due $67.

Also not true-- not all of the fare goes into the commission-- a 15% commission on a $500 cruise DOES NOT earn $75, as part of the $500 is not commissionable.

Pretty Hazardous, that's what I expected but sadly not to be with this TA.

This does not sound typical. I cannot speak to other's experiences with TAs, but mine sends the contract/receipt immediately after booking (within minutes). It is kinda frustrating though that I cannot speak with the cruiseline directly about my booking and any potential changes. But thankfully my TA is great and on top of things so I trust that she is doing just as good of a job when talking to them as I would do myself. She's happy to call them about price drops, etc

Thanks Thrilled2012. I do miss speaking directly with the cruise line. Especially when I see a price drop and want to act on it right away. So far, my TA has been able to assist in that manner.

Price drops absolutely do not come out of their commission... it may lower their commission though. If you booked a cruise at $500 with a 15% commission, they are due $75; if the price drops to $450, then they are only due $67. The $50 is from the cruise line dropping the price but since commissions are based on the fare price, a lower fare equals lower commissions.

But there's no reason to feel bad about asking for a price drop, that's what they are being paid to do. Most agents would rather have a happy customer with a lower fare that comes back year after year than someone who pays a higher fare and then books directly with the cruise line the next time because they felt bad about asking for the drop.

I agree the being unable to talk to the cruise line is frustrating; but I get enough discounts/OBC by using TAs that it's a no brainer.

Sanger727. Good point about the returning customer. The TA that I signed up with does offer loyalty points after the first cruise. I've already expressed to her how disappointed I am in not receiving a confirmation right away. She said that they are working on that aspect.