New to NCL

We have just booked our first cruise on NCL. We have done 7 CCL and 3 RCL previoulsy. We are booked on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda. Tell me what you like with NCL, tips, things not to miss, anything you can think of that would be helpful to a NCL newbie. Also, I've heard there are no formal nights on NCL. What is the dress code like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just booked our first cruise on NCL. We have done 7 CCL and 3 RCL previoulsy. We are booked on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda. Tell me what you like with NCL, tips, things not to miss, anything you can think of that would be helpful to a NCL newbie. Also, I've heard there are no formal nights on NCL. What is the dress code like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In no particular order:

- No set dinner time and table every night.

- Casual attire (search this forum or the NCL.com for the dress code) I like sundresses or capri's for dinner attire, but my DH likes jeans or khakis.

- The balcony cabin (oh, that's not NCL specific).

- take advantage of the continental breakfast delivery, instead of rushing to the crowded buffet before you're ready.

- sun decks all over the place, you don't HAVE to sit in the crowded pool area.

-Spice H20 adult area, the waterfront and Howl at the Moon (dueling pianos).

- Tips charged as one price instead of having to distribute to each server.

- What's not to like, you're on vacation!

We loved the BA. It was the roughest trip we ever had coming back into NYC, but it wouldn't stop us from going on her again.

I haven't been on RCI, but I've been reading cruise forums for all lines for a couple of years now. I've gotten the sense people like the NCL buffets better than the "Windjammer" on average. (My personal hint: on Getaway and Escape, many nights in the buffet there is a hot dessert like a bread pudding, and a big vat of self-serve warm caramel sauce. It's next to the scooped ice cream, or it was on my last cruise in fall. It's heavenly on the bread pudding, or the ice cream, or any of the other blander desserts.)

One thing you won't find is the adults-only Solarium type arrangement, just an 18+ sun deck that isn't really enforced. However, NCL's thermal suites on the -away class are great (for me ... I like the shaded enclosed area, padded loungers, and warm pool). $200/week, and I wouldn't cruise without it.

If you're used to the good/cheap internet on RCI (and maybe CCL?) you won't find it on NCL.

Entertainment is usually top notch.

We cruise NCL and Celebrity. NCL has better entertainment, but Celebrity's food is better.

NCL does nickel and dime you a bit more. We don't like their drinks packages because the gratuity is very high and the wine choices are poor.

Still, NCL's prices are generally very competitive. Our last cruise was on the Sun and it had the best food we have ever had on NCL.