iConcierge App and internet

I have some questions about the iConcierge App. We will be on the Escape in a few weeks and hope to have the iConcierge App on our daughters phone and our phone so we can keep up with each other. Is that what this app is used for? Can we text back and forth on it? How can I make sure that I'm not using my cellular data?

Also, tell me about internet...I'm a realtor and have a few deals that will be at a crucial time during that week, so I need to be available to check emails. What is my best bet for this? (I'd also like to be able to post on facebook occasionally. :)). When we've sailed with Carnival before, I've always just changed my data plan through Verizon to include international, but it still gets expensive while on the ship.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

iConcierge works just fine, you will not use data because in order for the App to work you need to be on airplane mode and wifi on. It doesn't work well any other way. As for the internet use they are going to change their packages, not sure when (they just partnered with a new company), so I would call NCL and ask them which package would work. I saw that there will be 3 different types one for social media, one for email, and one for doing internet searches, don't know about combining packages so that's why I say call them to find out.

I have some questions about the iConcierge App. We will be on the Escape in a few weeks and hope to have the iConcierge App on our daughters phone and our phone so we can keep up with each other. Is that what this app is used for? Can we text back and forth on it? How can I make sure that I'm not using my cellular data?

Also, tell me about internet...I'm a realtor and have a few deals that will be at a crucial time during that week, so I need to be available to check emails. What is my best bet for this? (I'd also like to be able to post on facebook occasionally. :)). When we've sailed with Carnival before, I've always just changed my data plan through Verizon to include international, but it still gets expensive while on the ship.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Our results with iConcierge were very different than the other responder. Texts were never sent or received, or they popped up the next day. You can leave voice messages, but only to the phone in the cabin. Even checking the account was problematical...we found it was never really very accurate. About the only thing it seemed to do well was pop up ads for the ship's stores. However, you do not use your cell data to use the iConcierge app. You are connected via the ship's wifi system.

NCL is upgrading their internet across the fleet, and I believe the Escape is getting the upgraded internet fairly soon. Even if it hasn't been upgraded when you sail, it it more than adequate for email, and probably slow, but acceptable, for Facebook text posts (because of the time taken to download your facebook page with all its pictures, etc). Don't expect to be able to upload tons of photos or videos though.

When you log onto the internet service, you will see a counter that tells you how many minutes you have remaining. There is also a "Log Out" button. This is important...don't close that web page, just open a new one for your email or facebook. When you are done, make sure you go back to the page and LOG OUT or your minutes used may continue to count down even though you're no longer connected. It is supposed to log you out automatically when you disconnect, but there have been many accounts of that not happening, and people finding they had no minutes left next time they tried to log in.

OP, this is link to a recent Getaway review of the newly launched 3-tiered internet plan as announced this month - it's rather informative.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2473636

The social media plan, based on the feedback, at $10 a day is much more limited & restricted than advertised - on narrow bandwidth & possibly throttled ... not very useful.

As a realtor, you can "expense" it against doing business - you might want to look into a land-based plan/add-on for the ports, VZW is basically pay-as-you-go with their cruise-ship offers. A backup data-only tablet plan from AT&T or T-Mobile that cover international us would be a better option.

I also travel with lines/coverage of 2 different carriers for redudancy ... actually, a 3rd. int'l roaming voice line for emergencies that also can use VoIP or WiFi calling. It is convenient to have a ship-only unlimited plan but it's still satellite based and pricey with zero coverage on land once it's docked.

NCL marketed its then (new) improved/faster/better internet plan with its (ex) partner last Summer and here we are, a new bundle with a different partner with changed packages - sounds good but given their track records, my advice - take nothing for granted ... especially if you have millions in deals hinged on the ability to stay in touch or communicate.

Voice calling from ship-to-shore is $4.99 a minute and those marine telephone calls are generally more reliable & dependable. We had tried to use the iConicerge App's optional ship-to-shore calling at 79 cents a minute to call from the Breakaway, and it was often a one-way conversation, one of the party couldn't hear or be understood ... totally useless - and it was (is) considered to have the best & fastest internet within the NCL fleet.

One app that's always loaded - Skype, it's a proven business tool for voice calling - video is optional with wider bandwidth requirement, voice do and will work just fine at 2G/Edge speed - and will be good over 3G speed.

In general, you do not have to be in airplane mode to use iconcierge. If you want to avoid roaming charges, make sure that you have cellular roaming turned OFF. Even a small amount of data use on a ship can incur hundereeds of dollars on charges by your cell carrier (not NCL who does not set those rates).

The Escape is piloting a new tiered internet service approach with social media, email, and streaming tiers. Hopefully they have upgraded their infrastructure enough to support this. We have sailed on the Escape twice and the internet has been miserable both times.