?s - For those who LIKE ocean cruising and have done a Rhine river cruise.

mlbcruiser

We rarely take ships' excursions on an ocean cruise and prefer hiring our own guides or transportation and touring on our own. On our Rhine cruise after the first couple of towns we learned to bow out of the guided tour after getting the gist of the town and history. You'll find the history of many of the towns is similar regarding the Roman, German and French rule. Some guides were much better than others and we would stick with them for the duration. Some of the tours include a walk through town plus a castle tour or a wine tasting so you would want to stick with it. There was almost always some free time in the ports anyway. Sometimes it's nice to not have to plan every day of your trip and just go with the flow.

I realize that this board mostly has readers who like river cruising. I'd like to direct this at those who like ocean cruising a lot as well.

We are thinking of doing a Rhine River cruise in late spring or early summer next year.....

Hoping for some helpful responses and opinions, but please, from experienced ocean cruisers who have a perspective on both. Thanks for any helpful replies!

Good morning mlbcruiser.

I hope I'm not too late on this thread but I have recently returned from a Viking River Cruise along the Rhine and you maybe interested in the review I wrote...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/05/12/viking-eir-rhine-getaway-april-2017/

34097510300_596c65639b_z.jpg

33935029912_8f0e9ac01d_z.jpg

I hope you find it useful.