CellAtSea, I'm confused!!

Mom2jocevan

Not sure how it works on all phones, but try turning airplane mode on. Then manually turn on wifi, then try and text.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

They said that won't work but I'll try as soon as I get home 👍

You can turn wifi on while the phone is in airplane mode. It then blocks all calls/texts as usual. You can then use wifi as normal.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My last trip to Europe, i used my phone as i did at home. My carrier here in Canada has what's called Roam like home. For a fee of $10 cdn a day, i can use all the features of my share everything plan with the bonus of unlimited home area calls. The only issue I found was when we were at sea and logged onto a marine service that wasn't covered. My service provider identified this and deactivated my mobile data while connected to the marine services keeping my roaming expenses down.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Forums mobile app

They said that won't work but I'll try as soon as I get home [emoji106]

What kind of phone do you have? If you have an iPhone you can absolutely turn airplane mode on and then wifi on. iPhone will automatically text over wifi. Can't help you with a non-iPhone but can't imagine there isn't a way to have wifi on w airplane mode on. That's why you can use wifi on planes [emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread is full of confusion around the difference between CellularAtSea and the ship's internet service.

CellularAtSea uses the ships PHONE service. It works by connecting to the ship's cellular tower. There is a service offered by Verizon described above where you pay 50 cents/5 cents for texting. This functions over SMS (simple messaging system) and WILL NOT WORK if the phone is in "airplane mode" with wifi turned on. Wifi cannot connect to the cellular tower on the ship.

Conversely, iPhone combines SMS and their iMessage protocol into Messages. SMS text messages appear in GREEN in the Messages app, while iMessage messages appear in BLUE. In many circumstances, iPhone can send SMS over wifi. Most Android devices will not do this.

On iPhone, many users simply do not understand the distinction between SMS and iMessage because Apple integrates the two so seamlessly.

Before telling people to just "put their phone into airplane mode" and hope for the best, those wishing to give good advice should understand the service an OP wishes to connect to and the type of device they have.

All that said, most tend to recommend staying connected with any of the internet plans versus CellularAtSea due to cost control. CellularAtSea can get out of hand and very expensive. There are obviously many more options for staying in touch with internet anyway.

This thread is full of confusion around the difference between CellularAtSea and the ship's internet service.

CellularAtSea uses the ships PHONE service. It works by connecting to the ship's cellular tower. There is a service offered by Verizon described above where you pay 50 cents/5 cents for texting. This functions over SMS (simple messaging system) and WILL NOT WORK if the phone is in "airplane mode" with wifi turned on. Wifi cannot connect to the cellular tower on the ship.

Conversely, iPhone combines SMS and their iMessage protocol into Messages. SMS text messages appear in GREEN in the Messages app, while iMessage messages appear in BLUE. In many circumstances, iPhone can send SMS over wifi. Most Android devices will not do this.

On iPhone, many users simply do not understand the distinction between SMS and iMessage because Apple integrates the two so seamlessly.

Before telling people to just "put their phone into airplane mode" and hope for the best, those wishing to give good advice should understand the service an OP wishes to connect to and the type of device they have.

All that said, most tend to recommend staying connected with any of the internet plans versus CellularAtSea due to cost control. CellularAtSea can get out of hand and very expensive. There are obviously many more options for staying in touch with internet anyway.

Ah thanks for that .. I have a iPhone and had no idea what I message was ! Yikes ... so let's say I have airplane mode yet wifi on.. could I still receive a text or that's only iPhone to iPhone

Nevermind

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not so sure you can actually be in wifi mode and airplane mode at the same time

Airplane mode essentially turns your phone into a camera/alarm/gaming device doesn't it?

It used to mean that, and technically I guess it still does. But Airplane Mode these days tends to mean the phone's cellular transmitters are turned off and wifi is able to be turned on. It's dumbed down for Murica. Trying to explain the technicalities of such matters usually results in much mouth breathing.

The only real benefit of Airplane Mode is to prevent the cellular transmitter from continuously searching for a tower and thereby draining the battery. The plane will not blow up.

Found this thread searching for info on the program above. Wish I could find detailed program information. Any advice is appreciated. It's not included under Internet Packages (for purchase) and I'm not sure where else to look.

It is being piloted on only two ships per CC article below:

Cruise Critics 3/5/17

(4:20 a.m. EST) --Passengers sailing on Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway now have the option to purchase internet based on how they use it versus prepaid minutes.

Norwegian Cruise Line is testing a new internet pricing model that could be rolled out fleetwide by this summer. Dubbed "Freestyle Choice Plans," the options include Social Chat ($35 for seven days), Basic($189 for seven days) and Premium ($245 for seven days).

Social Chat provides unlimited access to social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat; it also allows for sending and receiving messages. Basic offers unlimited Internet access as well as messaging and email, and supports file attachments. Premium includes everything in Basic, plus streaming capabilities and VPN access.

The line has previously offered more traditional internet plans ranging from $29 per day to 250 minutes for $125, on weeklong cruises.Last summer, however, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. sealed a deal with Global Eagle Entertainment (formerly Emerging Markets Communications) to quadruple bandwidth across its brands for stronger Wi-Fi onboard.

Norwegian's new test follows a trend of cruise lines switching to Internet plans that are more tailored toward how passengers surf the web at sea. Carnival Cruise Line recently adopted a similar model that includes asocial media-only plan for $5 per day

Cruise Critics 3/5/17

(4:20 a.m. EST) --Passengers sailing on Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway now have the option to purchase internet based on how they use it versus prepaid minutes.

Norwegian Cruise Line is testing a new internet pricing model that could be rolled out fleetwide by this summer. Dubbed "Freestyle Choice Plans," the options include Social Chat ($35 for seven days), Basic($189 for seven days) and Premium ($245 for seven days).

Social Chat provides unlimited access to social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat; it also allows for sending and receiving messages. Basic offers unlimited Internet access as well as messaging and email, and supports file attachments. Premium includes everything in Basic, plus streaming capabilities and VPN access.

The line has previously offered more traditional internet plans ranging from $29 per day to 250 minutes for $125, on weeklong cruises.Last summer, however, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. sealed a deal with Global Eagle Entertainment (formerly Emerging Markets Communications) to quadruple bandwidth across its brands for stronger Wi-Fi onboard.

Norwegian's new test follows a trend of cruise lines switching to Internet plans that are more tailored toward how passengers surf the web at sea. Carnival Cruise Line recently adopted a similar model that includes asocial media-only plan for $5 per day

Thank you so much!

Cruise Critics 3/5/17

Nice except we're on Getaway this summer and it's a 9 day so will Basic still be valid I wonder?

Outside of that option....we chose the 250 free minutes for the free at sea deal. Does that cost somehow get deducted or will we get some sort of prorated charge for unlimited internet if we need that after let's say the 4th day?

Sounds like it's $5 a day so I would guess for the Baltic cruises this summer they'll prorate it and charge $45 or maybe just $50 to make it a nice round number. I bet they're banking on most people getting it so that pax can share and be int ouch with people back home at such a distance.