Carnival Cakes and Shellfish Allergies

mjmcgove

I want to get the "anniversary" decorations that include the cake, but it says that it is prepared in an area that processes shellfish. I have a severe allergy to shellfish. Should I just not risk it, or do you think it's going to be ok?

Aren't you concerned that everything on the ship might also be prepared in an area that processes shellfish?

Sent from my P01M using Forums mobile app

They have an allergy kitchen that is designed to prevent cross contamination. I am assuming they are simply unwilling to make that cake in the allergy kitchen? Perhaps reach out to special needs to see if that could be done, agree, not worth a reaction on your trip.

so i just wanted to follow up and say how much i really LOVE Carnival Cruise Lines. They are simply a great company and I am so happy to see that they are so easy to deal with in these situations. I just got this response in regards to my email i sent them about this cake dilemma.

"Dear Michael McGovern,

Thank you for the information.

We have noted your booking accordingly with regards to your severe allergic reaction to shellfish and have also advised the Chef that you will be ordering an anniversary cake and therefore is requesting no cross contamination.

Sincerely,

Guest Access Support

Carnival Cruise Line"

I want to get the "anniversary" decorations that include the cake, but it says that it is prepared in an area that processes shellfish. I have a severe allergy to shellfish. Should I just not risk it, or do you think it's going to be ok?

Where did you read cake and shellfish are prepared in the same area? I own restaurants this is highly unlikely. The baking areas in kitchen do not support any type of general food service. The chef responded, but never confirmed the foods were even in the same room, and they probably are not. I understand your allergy is serious. I have a friend with a frightening peanut allergy. So, I am not diminishing your concern, just your assertion that shellfish and cakes are prepared anywhere near each other

Where did you read cake and shellfish are prepared in the same area? I own restaurants this is highly unlikely. The baking areas in kitchen do not support any type of general food service. The chef responded, but never confirmed the foods were even in the same room, and they probably are not. I understand your allergy is serious. I have a friend with a frightening peanut allergy. So, I am not diminishing your concern, just your assertion that shellfish and cakes are prepared anywhere near each other

Maybe take a second before attacking the OP and look on Carnivals website at the anniversary cake that says:

This product contains dairy, eggs, gluten, and soy and was prepared in a kitchen that also utilizes fish/shellfish, and nuts in certain recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need to contact the ship and maybe even special needs. It is not just the cake but you need to make sure they understand your allergy needs to ensure any meal you have would not be cross contaminated with shell fish.

We have a colleague who has an extreme allergy and keeps an Epi Pen with her. When we travel we always make sure the restaurant knows, you would be surprised at how many high end steak houses had to cook her steak on a pan because they don't separate the shrimp on the grill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it's the law, everyone has that one their menus!!! It says nothing about seafood and bakery being in the same area, there are eggs in cake, my second is over

Must've been really hard to read the part that said "was prepared in a kitchen that also utilizes fish/shellfish"

The OP has a valid concern that the cake was prepared in the same area as shellfish

it's the law, everyone has that one their menus!!! It says nothing about seafood and bakery being in the same area, there are eggs in cake, my second is over

It is the law that they make this disclosure IF there truly is a risk of cross-contamination. But there are plenty of restaurants and kitchens that take the extra step to ensure that there is NO cross-contamination. Restaurants and manufacturers that make this blanket disclosure on menus or packages are simply doing a good old-fashioned CYA, and are not willing to go the extra step to keep their food safe for ALL.

Food allergies are the pits. We have a daughter who is highly allergic to peanuts (do we really need that great big jar of peanut butter on every buffet line??). Eating (one of the great joys in life for most people) is a time of stress for her and my family. We have dealt with it for 14 years, and haven't let it stop us, but it's not easy. And as for risking it.... I would think the last place I would want to have an anaphylactic reaction is out at sea.

WRONG "It is the law that they make this disclosure IF there truly is a risk of cross-contamination. " Again, I own restaurants, I can could not open without the Health Department sees these words on your money. We are not talking about McDonalds, anywhere with prepared food service. Next time you eat out, any restaurant, you will see the disclaimer. The "Kitchen or Galley" is humongous, they are generically saying in the kitchen. If ahve been on the behind the scenes tour, their must 5 or 6 different rooms for prep areas.

It is the law that they make this disclosure IF there truly is a risk of cross-contamination. But there are plenty of restaurants and kitchens that take the extra step to ensure that there is NO cross-contamination. Restaurants and manufacturers that make this blanket disclosure on menus or packages are simply doing a good old-fashioned CYA, and are not willing to go the extra step to keep their food safe for ALL.

Food allergies are the pits. We have a daughter who is highly allergic to peanuts (do we really need that great big jar of peanut butter on every buffet line??). Eating (one of the great joys in life for most people) is a time of stress for her and my family. We have dealt with it for 14 years, and haven't let it stop us, but it's not easy. And as for risking it.... I would think the last place I would want to have an anaphylactic reaction is out at sea.

We deal with nut and peanut allergies. For land trips to countries whose language isn't English we use allergy cards. Though we've had issues around the corner from our house. (Some think 'nuts' are only walnuts, urgh) In the beginning we made up our own, recently we've bought them. Thankfully, DD hasn't had an issue traveling yet.

Onboard we've figured out the menu and it's gotten a lot easier. Buffet is still a crapshoot. Carnival's buffet is more nut/peanut friendly than Princess's.

^cant agree with that more! It has been a part of my life since I was born, as an adult it is very stressful because I don't want to make someone else's life harder, but at the end of the day it is life or death for us. Props to you as a parent for going the extra mile, I know it's not easy but it is do able!