Useful Port of Tyne info for NCL Jade Cruisers

Zeno

I just wanted to let people know that the Port of Tyne does indeed supply a shuttle service for cruise ship passengers.

Today I confirmed with the Port of Tyne authority by email that shuttle service would indeed be supplied from the ship to Royal Quays Shopping Centre AND to Tynemouth Metro for our cruiseship (NCL Jade Sep 01 2017). If you will be on a different ship you might want to confirm this for your exact ship. (The person from the Port of Tyne asked me specifically which ship I would be on.)

Note this is also posted on the Ports of Call board.:D

The Royal Quays shopping centre can't be more than 1/4 mile from the berth -- its a fairly small group of "outlet" shops

Tynemouth is also within walkable distance from the berth and the Priory there is worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you sure Newcastle upon Tyne is a port call for the Jade?

I cant see listed and I've never heard of NCL ships calling there

Yes - I am on this cruise.

The 15 day Aug 19 cruise from Southhampton does stop at Port of Tyne on Sept 01. You won't see this cruise on the NCL webite right now because it is sold out. If you check the Port of Tyne website you will see the Jade listed for that date.

The Royal Quays shopping centre can't be more than 1/4 mile from the berth -- its a fairly small group of "outlet" shops

Tynemouth is also within walkable distance from the berth and the Priory there is worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I think the fact that the shuttle goes to Tynemouth Metro will be the most useful for most people for going to The Priory or into Newcastle but Royal Quays is near the Coble Dene bus stops (of interest to us since we might take the bus to a car rental office).

I just wanted to let people know that the Port of Tyne does indeed supply a shuttle service for cruise ship passengers.

Today I confirmed with the Port of Tyne authority by email that shuttle service would indeed be supplied from the ship to Royal Quays Shopping Centre AND to Tynemouth Metro for our cruiseship (NCL Jade Sep 01 2017). If you will be on a different ship you might want to confirm this for your exact ship. (The person from the Port of Tyne asked me specifically which ship I would be on.)

Note this is also posted on the Ports of Call board.:D

Ok just had a double check and can see that Newcastle is an additional stop for that one off 15 day itinery-took me by surprise as we live fairly close

However as already noted Royal Quays is a local outlet store

Tynemouth metro is also close by [nearest metro stop is Percy Main a 15 minute walk]

However you would want to get further away to see something of interest such as Newcastle itself or Durham

that would involve metro to Newcastle and if you want to see Durham a 30 minute train ride from Newcastle

I live near to the port and I would not suggest walking to Tynemouth, it is a good 3 to 4 mile walk and would take the best part of an hour or so to do.

The local transport system, The Metro, has 2 relatively close station's Meadow Well and Percy Main however both are in residential areas and could be a bit tricky to find if you do not know the area. If shuttles are available I would suggest using them.

Royal Quays shopping outlet is certainly within walking distance and has a range of shops but is no where near as big as the Metro Centre shopping outlet in Gateshead which is about 1 hour away or the centre of Newcastle which is about 45 mins away from the port.

Alnwick, Walkworth, Bamburgh and all up that side of the North East coast is spectacular and well worth a visit, especially to see the castles, including Alnwick Castle which is heavily featured in the Harry Potter films and many other period films.

I hope everyone on that cruise has a great time and enjoys our spectacular part of England, you are all very welcome.

Cheers

John