bad Empress experience Ap 6-10, 2017

Did the OP really complain about cold eggs on the buffet? Scrambled eggs are usually awful in any buffet, be it on sea or land. Prepared eggs don't age well and the temperature of the freshly-cooked eggs in a metal bin means you'll get condensation and wet eggs (yuck!). Either hit the omelette station (if there is one) or grab a slab or two of ham for your protein.

Did the OP really complain about cold eggs on the buffet? Scrambled eggs are usually awful in any buffet, be it on sea or land. Prepared eggs don't age well and the temperature of the freshly-cooked eggs in a metal bin means you'll get condensation and wet eggs (yuck!). Either hit the omelette station (if there is one) or grab a slab or two of ham for your protein.

There is an omelet station right past that area in the buffet towards the middle. The food was constantly on rotation so I had no issues with eggs. The OP is actually making a complaint from someone they know that went on the cruise, they themselves were not in the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PMCK-

Can you share with us a little about your Cruise recently on Empress? We sail out to Cuba/Costa Maya early next week, and we're all getting very excited. So happy it's not one of the cruises with 4,000 plus guests!!!! Where was your Stateroom, etc???

Sure I'd be happy to.

We sailed out of Miami on 03/27, our first RCI cruise. We had previously sailed 5 times on Princess, so this was our first "smaller ship" experience. We LOVED it!! Getting on the ship was relatively quick, about 40 mins total until we were up on deck, enjoying our first rum drink. We were in cabin 7672, which was towards the back of the ship. We were slightly nervous about it, because we had never been that far back before, but it was fine. We never felt any motion on the ship as the seas were calm for the entire trip. The cabin was an "ocenview" with a good sized window. The room was small, but we were prepared for that, after having read all of the reviews on this site. There was a spot for everything though. The suitcases fit under the bed, there were plenty of hangers and a spot for everything in the bathroom. Our cabin steward Harold was awesome as well.

The entertainment on the ship was fantastic as well, We saw a comedian, a juggler and a ventriloquist, all of whom we loved. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of their names now and I'm at work, so I don't have access to the daily papers with their names on it. The piano player in the Schooner bar was awesome as well, although we heard that he was getting off the ship when we were!

We loved the food. Ate at the windjammer for all breakfasts (except one sea day, when we ate in the main dining room)! I actually thought that the buffet in the dining room was slightly disorganized. We stood in lines, thinking we were the line for eggs, when we were actually in a different line. I think that could have been organized better. The windjammer food for breakfast and lunch was always good! Good variety and always kept clean and fresh!! I loved that you had to wash your hands each time before getting in the line. We ate every night in the dining room and our waiters Denery and Lenus always were wonderful and friendly. No complaints about the food either. Always very good right down to the dessert and coffee.

We went to Cozumel and CocoaCay on this cruise. In Cozumel, we went to Mr. Sanchos for the day. We paid $50 p/person for an all inclusive day with all the drinks (slightly watered down) and food (delicious) that you could eat. We had a great waiter (Edgar) there as well. Cocoa Cay was our favorite place. The beach was beautiful, the weather was perfect and we spent the day relaxing on the beach.

If I have anything negative at all to say about this cruise it would be that there was a very slight sewage smell at times in random places on the ship. The very last day when we were pulling into the Port of Miami a very strong sewage smell enveloped our cabin for about 5 minutes. Then, just as quick, it was gone. It definitely wouldn't stop us from sailing on this beautiful ship again. Everyone was so friendly and nice and we met some awesome people. It was definitely a much needed, relaxing trip!!

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to try to answer them. Have a fabulous time on the Empress!! :cool:

I was on Empress on April 6-10, 2017 and though it was a "different" experience than the other RC ships, it was fine IMHO. There were people complaining about the food, however it certainly wasn't horrible (again IMO). Also - no storm hit us. I've been telling everyone that I was amazed at having several back-to-back beautiful weather days. Perhaps just the general rocking of the ocean is what your friend observed? Our day at sea had the usual ups and down, but the sun was shining and the weather was great. Either way - I would say the same to your friend as I did to those on the ship: Don't consider this the RC "standard." Different ships will supply different experiences.