Help packing for 5 on a princess alaskan cruise tour in July

Travelbug1978

We are a family of 5 heading to Alaska in July. There will be 2 adults and 3 kids. I am trying to figure out how much clothing we will need. Between the cruisetour and flying into vancouver the day before we will be gone pretty much 2 weeks. We have to pay for luggage so hoping to get away with only 2 checked bags and possibly 2 carry on bags. We will have laundry on our boat. Should I pack enough for a week and then do laundry sometime. Any suggestions would be apprecoated.

I think you've answered your own question .... if you want to pack light you'll need to plan on doing laundry at some point. The ship's laundry fees are probably cheaper than airline baggage fees!

Where will depend on your itinerary .... maybe Day 5 or 6 of your cruise before everyone else gets the same idea, or some evening at a hotel when you have no activities planned. Or maybe the ship has a laundry service if you don't want to spend a couple of hrs overseeing the machines.

You might want to check out this thread on packing cubes: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2478225&highlight=packing+cubes

Sounds like they work great to keep things organized when families are sharing luggage space. I've never used them before, but just ordered a set for our upcoming cruise. In the past I've packed in 2-gallon ziplock bags, but I think I will like these better. (We will see! ;))

Alaska is really informal. A pair of jeans is a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans and nobody knows (or cares) you've worn them several days (or a week even). Ditto shirts or sweatshirts. It's the last frontier and it's function over fashion every time. Mix & match and re-wear. We pack our most worn & ratty underwear and jettison at cruise end (in garbage) to make room for souvenirs. Did that once with a $4.95 pair of men's dress shoes worn on two formal nights (left for cabin steward to barter or charity). What little we wash is usually sink washable and synthetic fabrics dry really fast in cabin (we avoid cotton items which don't).

But no issues for next cruise - we can take five suitcases apiece (but won't) if we want since no airline limits with drive to port. :cool:

Alaska is really informal. A pair of jeans is a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans and nobody knows (or cares) you've worn them several days (or a week even). Ditto shirts or sweatshirts. It's the last frontier and it's function over fashion every time. Mix & match and re-wear. We pack our most worn & ratty underwear and jettison at cruise end (in garbage) to make room for souvenirs. Did that once with a $4.95 pair of men's dress shoes worn on two formal nights (left for cabin steward to barter or charity). What little we wash is usually sink washable and synthetic fabrics dry really fast in cabin (we avoid cotton items which don't).

This is where I struggle..I like to look fashionable...lol from the outfit right down to the shoes..I am trying to be good and not pack tons of shoes..I like to wear leggings long shirt and tall boots...I have already tested it out I can pack all my daughters t-shirts in my boots since she is only 8..;)

• 3 weeks later...

> I like to look fashionable

Come visit us for a week in Wyoming. We'll break you of that. lol My pastor wears jeans and cowboy boots to preach in, and so does most of the congregation (both sexes).

I can attest that packing cubes help when sharing suitcase space. Our son took DH for an overnight trip to Vegas. As military, he gets one free carryon, so I gave DH a packing cube to pack his stuff in. It went into son's bag just fine and was easy to pull out and use in the hotel room. Also, most kids like having their "own" space, so they will probably like putting each child's clothes in their own packing cube.

I'm with you & have asked similar questions on CC.

I like choices. I like to choose sweatshirt (& I like to have choices here as well - the red one or the gray one...) or long-sleeve t-shirt or both &/or 1 or more parts of the 3 in 1 jacket.

I also like to change.

For example, when have an outdoors excursion in Ketchikan planned. We will probably get damp from the activity, from the climate or both (without even worrying about actual rain). When I get back on the ship, the first thing I will do is change my clothes & shoes.

In the end, I am going to try my best... We survived in June 2012, I'm sure we will survive in July 2017.

(We are purchasing an unlimited laundry plan.)

& I don't even consider myself to be fashionable.

We are a family of 5 heading to Alaska in July. There will be 2 adults and 3 kids. I am trying to figure out how much clothing we will need. Between the cruisetour and flying into vancouver the day before we will be gone pretty much 2 weeks. We have to pay for luggage so hoping to get away with only 2 checked bags and possibly 2 carry on bags. We will have laundry on our boat. Should I pack enough for a week and then do laundry sometime. Any suggestions would be apprecoated.

Hi! Our family is traveling to AK for 2 weeks this summer as well (land & cruise). I also like to dress nicely but my son is a dirt and mud magnet. I have no doubt that my little outdoor adventurer will NOT be able to re-use clothes. We needed a packing and laundry strategy! A few things we have planned: I second the packing cubes solution - we have used them for organization and they're great! I've also used Space Bags for our socks/ underwear/ etc (stuff you don't mind being a little wrinkled). Our cabin in Denali and hotel in Seward both have laundry facilities (for the first week). Then, another CC member gave me the great tip of Services Unlimited in Skagway (if you are stopping there?) - you can drop off your laundry in the morning, they will wash and fold and text you once it's done! Only $15/ load, which is significantly less expensive than our ship (Celebrity). Have a great trip! We are counting down the days!

Hi! Our family is traveling to AK for 2 weeks this summer as well (land & cruise). I also like to dress nicely but my son is a dirt and mud magnet. I have no doubt that my little outdoor adventurer will NOT be able to re-use clothes. We needed a packing and laundry strategy! A few things we have planned: I second the packing cubes solution - we have used them for organization and they're great! I've also used Space Bags for our socks/ underwear/ etc (stuff you don't mind being a little wrinkled). Our cabin in Denali and hotel in Seward both have laundry facilities (for the first week). Then, another CC member gave me the great tip of Services Unlimited in Skagway (if you are stopping there?) - you can drop off your laundry in the morning, they will wash and fold and text you once it's done! Only $15/ load, which is significantly less expensive than our ship (Celebrity). Have a great trip! We are counting down the days!

Thank you for the tip I will look into it.

Princess has laundry at every lodge.