Entry time to Glacier Bay?

NCLfamily

We are travelling on The Pearl in July. The Alaskan cruise port schedule says we are in Glacier Bay 06.00-15.00.

Is there good viewing time to be had pre 6am? Is the sail in spectacular? Are we close to the shore?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were within Glacier Bay by the time we woke up (and we are early risers). The bay isn't all that wide so the shore line is fairly close by. Bring a pair of binoculars for shoreline viewing. We saw bears and goats. Lots of otters and dolphins were in the bay but we saw no whales in there the day were sailed through (we were on a May sailing). We were up close to Marjorie Glacier at the top end of the bay and it was magnificent. The glacier calved 4 times when we were there. It is a natural wonder and so much for the eye to take in. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy

Make sure to get a pile of deck blankets and stake your claim on deck to get a good view. Later in the morning, the National Park Service rangers will be on board to do some narration. It's a long day. It will be cold. Coats, layered clothes, with gloves, hat, ear protection will keep you nice and toasty. That is compared to your port days where you probably will be in shorts and t-shirts.

Glacier Bay is a narrow inlet, so you will be close to shore all day long, and you will sail out the same way you sail in. I don't remember anything particularly spectacular about the entrance/exit to the bay (but even average scenery in Alaska is pretty spectacular, of course). In any case you will have a chance to see the entire length of the bay on the way out, so I would say it's not necessarily a priority to be up on deck by 6am. I don't know what time the rangers' commentary starts, but I'm sure it's not that early.

That said, the scenery in Glacier Bay is worth seeing twice, for example if you have an eye for different light (morning vs. afternoon), if the weather changes over the course of the day, etc. And especially if you are into wildlife sightings, you will want to maximize your viewing time on this day.

Sounds like maybe breakfast from room service (can we get room service at 6am?) to enjoy on the balcony. Then up on deck after 7am or whenever the rangers are aboard.

Deck blankets are provided? Even in July?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went over July 4th last year (our 2nd cruise to Alaska), we were on the Pearl. Our first trip it was pretty cold, last July it was gorgeous and warm to hot! It's hit and miss as to what weather you will get. I recommend getting up early, breakfast on your balcony or on the buffet deck outside on the back of the ship if it's warm enough (or grab a window seat in the buffet if you can). It's a beautiful trip all the way in to the glaciers, bring binoculars. Get up top early as you near the glaciers, it will get very crowded. The ship stops and spins 360 for about an hour, if you are lucky the glacier might calve. The trip back out is just as awesome. We were fortunate to have weather in the mid 70s, we sat on lounge chairs on the top deck watching the scenery and sea life (whales, seals, mtn goats, eagles). I don't know if we will ever get that lucky on an Alaska cruise again. Have a blast! We did!

We went over July 4th last year (our 2nd cruise to Alaska), we were on the Pearl. Our first trip it was pretty cold, last July it was gorgeous and warm to hot! It's hit and miss as to what weather you will get. I recommend getting up early, breakfast on your balcony or on the buffet deck outside on the back of the ship if it's warm enough (or grab a window seat in the buffet if you can). It's a beautiful trip all the way in to the glaciers, bring binoculars. Get up top early as you near the glaciers, it will get very crowded. The ship stops and spins 360 for about an hour, if you are lucky the glacier might calve. The trip back out is just as awesome. We were fortunate to have weather in the mid 70s, we sat on lounge chairs on the top deck watching the scenery and sea life (whales, seals, mtn goats, eagles). I don't know if we will ever get that lucky on an Alaska cruise again. Have a blast! We did!

Wow. Sounds amazing. Can't wait.

We are travelling on The Pearl in July. The Alaskan cruise port schedule says we are in Glacier Bay 06.00-15.00.

Is there good viewing time to be had pre 6am? Is the sail in spectacular? Are we close to the shore?

Thanks

Glacier Bay is about as far north as you are in Scotland. As you know July has some of the longest days of the year. It will certainly be daylight long before 6:00 a.m. You will be close to shore (at least in relative terms).

As others have said you do get views entering and exiting Glacier Bay. We sailed the Pearl in June 2016 and if it holds to like last year you will start to get close to the glaciers around 9a and that will last until around 1p, the 6a to 3p is from the time that you actually enter the then exit the Bay. From what they told us they are given 4 hours of close up glacier time. If you want you can check out my trip review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379752 I think the Glacier bay stuff starts at the end of page 3.

As others have said you do get views entering and exiting Glacier Bay. We sailed the Pearl in June 2016 and if it holds to like last year you will start to get close to the glaciers around 9a and that will last until around 1p, the 6a to 3p is from the time that you actually enter the then exit the Bay. From what they told us they are given 4 hours of close up glacier time. If you want you can check out my trip review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379752 I think the Glacier bay stuff starts at the end of page 3.

Great info thanks. I'll check out your review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums