Small / Coastal boats

TravelerThom

Jazz

From time to time small / coastal boats are discussed here on "River Cruising" (recently about Iceland). It seems like this type of boats are homeless here (or if there is a Cruise Critic forum I'm missing it). A few small boat lines are represented on the main boards (Lindblad, Heberon) and some small boats are discussed under their big boat owner (Celebrity Expedition, Crystal yachts, etc). Grand Circle, Vantage and maybe others operate non-river coastal boats in addition to river boats. I have done several of these, and am off again next month on GCCL Aretheusa [50 passenger] to Corsica, Elba, etc. Is this the appropriate forum for such trips? I have thought about a separate "Coastal Cruising" forum, but fear that with the lines having both types of boats that might only further confuse things. Possibly adding GCCL Ocean and Vantage Ocean (similat to Viking Ocean) to the main boards. Maybe you or others can think of a better solution than I have.

I think it appropriate to add Ponant to the big ship board (if they are there I missed them) since size wise they are between Lindblad and Silverseas. I realize that is not your board, but thought that you would know where to suggest that.

Thanks for all your work herding cats (moderating) this board.

Thom

Thom....I agree that we need a place for these coastal cruises. I have been on four so far with three more booked. There currently is no place to discuss these trips. I used to be a river cruise addict (14 so far) but switched to the coastal ships a few years ago and like them much better,

Cruise Critic considers ocean cruising to be normative, so the basic forums are all oriented around ocean-cruising lines. The only exceptions are for "special interest cruising" which includes Eco and Expedition Cruising, Freighters..., Luxury Cruising, and of course River Cruising.

There is a forum in the alphabetic area called

Other Cruise Lines

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218

[it's actually listed twice on the main page, at the end of the A-O listings and at the beginning of the P-Z] where you will find threads about Ponant, Swan Hellenic, etc.

If a cruise line like Crystal has both large ships and yachts, the yachts go with the large ships. So that will force the Grand Circle, Scenic, and Vantage small-ships into the "other" category -- where I agree they tend to be overlooked.

Thom....I agree that we need a place for these coastal cruises. I have been on four so far with three more booked. There currently is no place to discuss these trips. I used to be a river cruise addict (14 so far) but switched to the coastal ships a few years ago and like them much better,

The same applies to us. We were supposed to be on the Corinthian this week, but the ship had to go to dry dock. It would be nice to have a subcategory and be able to chat with others on these smaller ocean going ships.

Jazzbeau

I'm embarrassed to say I had never noticed "Other Cruise Lines"; thanks for pointing that out (I guess that's why you get paid the big CC bucks, and I don't:cool:). Any "filing system" is torn between too many files or not enough files - either extreme makes it difficult to find things, and just mindlessly adding more Forums is not the answer. While the CC search function sometimes seems to not return things I'm sure are there, it is a lot better than nothing. I'll work in those areas you pointed out for awhile, before burdening you with another brainstorm.

Thanks for your prompt reply

Thom