Sea Sickness Suggestions?

bigpud

I was quite ill :eek: when we left on the Fairstar 1986 and have not been game to cruise since.Then heard the Asia cruise thru the straits of Mallacca is very calm:) .The family have twisted my arm to cruise again and reading all these reviews make me realise cruising is the most relaxing holiday when you are taking 4 children:confused: !I would like to be prepared incase the mal de mer strikes again.Any suggestions or tried and tru medication?Would Dan recommend drinking from the moment of embarkation as a cure:eek: ??(It might actually work!)

Hi bigpud, my hubbys father reminded him of an old remedy they used when they went away and that was to place a paper bag on his belly under his T's and drink some Ginger Ale. It worked. (BTW I thought it was ridiculous so he proved me wrong!!).

Good luck with it.

Kerri

I went to my doctor and he prescribed "Maxalon" which is an anti nausea drug.

My friends got the over the counter "Quells" (spelling may not be right?) and they found though they worked it did make them drowsy, it does have also have a warning not to drink alcohol when taking them, which my friend found out after taking one and drinking, she promptly fell asleep at the table during dinner one night, we all had a laugh and took photos and then dragged her back to the cabin. She then woke up at 6am and and then made our lives hell to pay us back. :rolleyes:

There are a number of seabands and patches, I noticed a few passengers had them on their wrists or arms.

ok well we have just come back from our 1st cruise 3 days ago. We have 3 children aged 2 11 and 15 none of them got sick or myself. We took Quells the first day and the 2nd and did not need them after that. Akthough my 15 yr old needed on a few days later. ON the rough day coming home we all h ad a tablet and were fine.

I was quite ill when we left on the Fairstar 1986 and have not been game to cruise since.Then heard the Asia cruise thru the straits of Mallacca is very calm .The family have twisted my arm to cruise again and reading all these reviews make me realise cruising is the most relaxing holiday when you are taking 4 children !I would like to be prepared incase the mal de mer strikes again.Any suggestions or tried and tru medication?Would Dan recommend drinking from the moment of embarkation as a cure ??(It might actually work!)

I was sick on our first cruise and so was our 3 sons (they get car sick 30min away from home). The doctor gave my son 5ml of phenergan and gave me an injection of phenergan (and phenergan tablets) and was told to have a sleep and I would feel 100% when I woke. He also told me that the astranauts are given phenergan for motion sickness.I did exactly as he said and no more problems. I took 1/4-1/2 a tablet each morning and the boys (10,5 & 4) took 5ml. When we disembarked at New Zealand, we had 14 hours of travel (coach, plane, bus, plane and coach) and none of us had any sickness:D. When we go to Sydney now we give the kids 5ml and they are perfect.

My husband was the only one who didnt get sick on the ship, BUT he was the only one that got sick when we got back (Headspins, dizziness, bouncing off walls as he walked through the motel:p )

When April comes next year we will all be taking phenergan before we leave home.

If you are sick next time, go and get the injection from the doctor. 2 hours later you will be feeling so good and your cruise that you paid lots for is not ruined.

Kazza

I have been told that if you get sick, the doctor gives you an injection of Maxalon which is claimed to cure you for the cruise. ($140 or more if it's after hours, claimable on travel insurance) Maxalon is by prescription only.

Pnenergan is over the counter, comes in paediatric, 10mgs & 35mgs. It's primarily an anti histamine but is also used for motion sickness. Drawback is it's also a sedative, I use it when I want a good nights sleep.

Ginger is a natural remedy which also may work.

Quells & Dramamine(can cause drowsiness) also recommended.

I have read a fair bit about patches (Scopolamine based) which are left on all the time but they have some side effects, not too familiar with these.

My hubby is hopeless so we always take Dramamine & accu pressure bands when we fly. He hasn't cruised yet. This will be the test.

My GF & I are both nurses so we plan to take Maxalon (injection + tablets) plus Phenergan 10mg as well as the usual.

Hope this info helps.

Would Dan recommend drinking from the moment of embarkation as a cure:eek: ??(It might actually work!)

Hey bigpud,

:cool:

I would recommend a couple of drinks at sailaway just to ease the nerves.

And relax!!! On our second cruise we didnt even realise we had started moving...

Being constantly drunk will cure motion sickness. However some of the side effects are nausea, vomiting, not being able to walk straight and a feeling that the room is spinning...

:D

Cheers,

Dan

Dramamine works for me too. Also Stemital - seems to be a similar drug as Dramamine. I will let you know - only a few days to go now for us. I tried the other remedies - ginger and the bands and the only thing that happened was I burped ginger for a day and got bruises from the bands. Gayle:p

Hi All,

Just in case anyone goes looking for them the correct spelling is Kwells. I always find a walk in the fresh air and a drink of dry ginger ale or water always helps when I find myself feeling a little woozy. Only ever had a dizzy feeling about 3 times and every time a walk has helped. Usually it is because I have spent too long in the one room, often the Show Lounge.

I would recommend have a quick walk between things if you are going to stay in the same place for the next thing. Remember the worst place for movement is high up at the front of the ship which is where most of the show lounges are.

All in all I would suggest taking a motion sickness tablet regardless. By the time you start to feel a little ill it is usually too late for a tablet to work quickly anyway. Best to take them then you will never know if you needed them or not. We use Kwells but my Nan takes Dramamine (she has done nearly 30 cruises and still takes a motion sickness tablet every time!). My sister has used the sea bands which sit on your pressure points and claims they work.

Above all don't lay in your cabin feeling sorry for yourself. Get up on deck and pass out on a deck chair in the fresh air. If it is really bad it is best to go and get the injection. They can be a little expensive, but isn't it better to have a little less spending money than to not need to spend any cause you are flat out sick.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I have been told that if you get sick, the doctor gives you an injection of Maxalon which is claimed to cure you for the cruise. ($140 or more if it's after hours, claimable on travel insurance) Maxalon is by prescription only.

Hi Maxx:)

The injection and tablets I was given in June were Promethazine(Phenergan) and with 1/2 a tablet I was cured for the cruise:D . I paid $115- for the doctors visit, injection and tablets (best money I have ever spent). If a child vomits in the kids club they MUST be taken to the doctor (even if you know that it is only motion sickness) and a doctors certificate has to be issued to the kids club before your child is allowed back. My sons visit to the doctor (then share the Phenergan between the three boys) cost $90- . We claimed it all back from our travel insurance. So in the end it cost us nothing and our cruise wasnt ruined:)

My husband had a script for Stemetil. He took 1 tablet and when he had a beer at dinner, he was trashed. He never took anything after that.

Regards

Kazza:)

we took "stugeron15" and had no trouble. Didnt make us drowsy. We took them before we left and for the first day and then didnt bother untiil the day before we got home. The captain told us we were in for some bad weather and had changed course. Up until this time we had glass like waters, but even this rougher weather was not too bad compared to some i have geard about.(truebliss)

Bad news is this is not here in australia. It was advised by ny dad who had lived on his boat for many years. he bought it for us in england. they are seassick tablets but also used in mennieurs(sp) disease. It is safe from 5 years old.

I would just take something before you leave and not take a chance

Although I like Dan's suggestion :confused: most of what I have been told suggests that motion or sea sickness is caused by a conflict between the eyes and the middle ear. I suffer from a form of positional vertigo that may seriously affect my balance on some occasions. I only mention that because I was then quite worried about travelling on a ship.

I was told that if on deck to stare at the horizon. It doesn't move, (the waves and sea do) and looking at the horizon allows your brain to adjust to what's going on. If you must be in your cabin, then stay horizontal with your eyes closed as this helps stop the conflict between your eyes and your brain. Keep sipping water to stay hydrated. Don't suffer. If you don't improve seek medical advise.

I also take Kwells with me and chew one just prior to sailing. Two of my cruises have included rather rough conditions and although uncomfortable, I have yet to really be effected by sea sickness. I have never missed a meal or been physically sick or anything like that.

In general most passengers seem to travel well, and I guess if you are susceptible to motion sickness, then you may well get sea sick. It is probably worth talking to your doctor about this prior to sailing.

I feel the main thing is to keep positive.

I've cruised twice before quite a long time ago and in a total of 51 days I never had a day of sickness and never took anything. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't get sick this time but obviously I'm not prone to motion sickness. My youngest son, however, (he'll be 10) often gets car sick. The problem with him is getting him to take something. I only have to touch the bottle and he starts heaving.

Karen

why do they not provide bags or something for people who get sick.maybe hanging on the walls. I read one thread (think it was truebliss) who said people were vomiting everywhere. I took my cliplock bags everywhere just in case and i never felt seasick. What do most people do when they feel sick?

whenever the seas have been real rough there were bags placed at strategic points around the boat...

Ive never needed them.. alcohol works for me...

Although seriously this time being 10 nights, (i dont think i can stay drunk for 10 nights... im going to try though!!) i was wondering what to take, I still have the maxalon tablets made up from my last two cruises. I think ill take those but i have been lokoing for another over the counter medicine that wont stop me from drinking.

Hopefully i wont need it. I travel well generally, but on smaller boats i can get a little sick. On both cruises ive not had a problem, the something in your stomach and a couple of drinks method works for me..

Dan

In general most passengers seem to travel well quote]

When I was vomiting, the crew in the kids club said "go and get an injection, ALL OF US HAVE ALREADY HAD OURS and you will feel perfect"

When I went down to the doctors there was so many people down there and half of them were crew staff:eek:

On one day the cleaning staff were sooooo busy cleaning up after everyone. I felt so sorry for them. The next day there was sick bags all over the ship just in case, although most people had already been to the doctors the day before and were feeling perfect.

Kazza

Great advice from everyone. I think the thing that worries me most is that we went on a Great Barrier Reef cruise last year and everyone except about 3 of us (I was one) was vomiting, vomit bags everywhere, it was a very disturbing sight. Quells were handed out when embarking but didn't seem to do much good. It was not a pretty sight, attendants walking past the tables with huge garbage bags to put the vomit bags in. It scarred my hubby for life!

I now want to talk him in to doing an Australia Day Cruise for the Tall Ships race on Sydney Harbour, so I am interested in any help with motion sickness. I'm going to give him Maxalon tablets.

• 10 years later...

I get virtually every type of motion sickness, especially sea sickness. Thankfully there are a wide variety of products out there for helping reduce the discomfort from sea sickness. One option is over-the-counter medication like Bonine, Dramamine, and Antivert. Just keep in mind that there can be side effects like drowsiness. There's also the patch, although I've personally never tried that one. Some natural options I've tried are acupuncture wristbands, the anchor nutrition bar, and ginger. Hope one of these works for you!