Crown Princess Balcony Room and Lotus Spa Tour

getaway goddess...out of curiosity I googled the coffee oil issue...I found out that it is because all coffee beans have natural oils but if the coffee is a lower grade coffee than you will see the oil settle on top than you will a higher quality coffee. It is well known on the boards that the coffee in the buffet area is not top quality so that is what you saw when you got the coffee and not that the cups were not clean. If they weren't clean than ALOT more people would be sick and I have witnessed how far they go as tablemates of ours were kosher and they brought their own skillet for making their food separate and each night it was returned to them after their food was cooked. Also princess ranks pretty high on the CDC inspections so I am sure they are cleaning the dishes. DH works as a chef and those industrial dish washers are no joke they really clean it. They come out steaming and hot! I am only telling you this so perhaps you will have a different outlook on your time on princess.

Thanks :) We have heard this time an time again (and I have to keep re-explaining it since they keep removing my posts). To clarify - we are fully aware that coffee has oil. We are HUGE coffee drinkers. That being said, we tested this! We didn't have time to cover every single issue in exhaustive depth in our video. BUT we did test this. How? We took a coffee cup, water glass, and paper cup from international cafe and poured coffee and hot water in all three cups. There was oil in the coffee cup and water glass - both with the coffee and the water. This is because the heat from the water was able to loosen the oil. The oil was NOT the color of oil from coffee beans. It was CLEARLY the color of vegetable oil, and was oil. Also, this happened ever day for 12/14 days of our cruise. We tested cups at all coffee stations on all days (this was a TA cruise - we had a lot of time on our hands, and my DH has a few Degrees in Science and has an interest in the scientific method...another reason we're sure it was oil). Same issue. We even told staff about this, particularly when they questioned why we were using paper cups. On the 2nd last day of our cruise they received a large shipment in Bilbao, and the next day the cups were cleaned. This issue has been discussed with Princess both on board and afterwards.

we tested this!

But where would the oil be coming from? Presumably, coffee cups are used primarily for coffee and tea. At no point would vegetable oil be introduced into the mug unless someone decided to put soup in the mug. And I doubt that happens too often. So oil shouldn't be introduced during the consumption phase.

Next comes the cleaning phase. The cup would go into a dishwasher were detergent is introduced. Detergent contains no vegetable oil (or oil of any kind). To the contrary, it's purpose is to bind with oils and remove them. So if people aren't putting vegetable oil in their mugs and the kitchen staff is not putting vegetable oil in the dishwasher, where does it come in contact with the mug?

On the 2nd last day of our cruise they received a large shipment in Bilbao, and the next day the cups were cleaned.

From a "scientific method" standpoint, I am interested in this statement. What, exactly, did the ship receive a shipment of? Detergent? Mugs? Coffee beans? I'm a bit confused as to what it is that the ship received that cured the problem.

But where would the oil be coming from? Presumably, coffee cups are used primarily for coffee and tea. At no point would vegetable oil be introduced into the mug unless someone decided to put soup in the mug. And I doubt that happens too often. So oil shouldn't be introduced during the consumption phase.

Next comes the cleaning phase. The cup would go into a dishwasher were detergent is introduced. Detergent contains no vegetable oil (or oil of any kind). To the contrary, it's purpose is to bind with oils and remove them. So if people aren't putting vegetable oil in their mugs and the kitchen staff is not putting vegetable oil in the dishwasher, where does it come in contact with the mug?

From a "scientific method" standpoint, I am interested in this statement. What, exactly, did the ship receive a shipment of? Detergent? Mugs? Coffee beans? I'm a bit confused as to what it is that the ship received that cured the problem.

Thank you I was trying to get at that and failed. I guess my other question would be if you felt they were not cleaning the dishes did you eat off the plates as they all get washed the same way?

Thank you I was trying to get at that and failed. I guess my other question would be if you felt they were not cleaning the dishes did you eat off the plates as they all get washed the same way?

We assume everything was cleaned that way. As for using cutlery, plates, glasses, etc. , we had no choice.

I've asked Princess to look into whether or not they got a shipment in of a different detergent that day (it was a Transatlantic, maybe something went wrong that was unusual), but haven't received a response.