World Cruise - Currencies

paultay23

Hi.. Newbie to the forum - 262 nights on P&O

We are booked on Arcadia's World Cruise Jan 9th 2018. Being experienced cruisers, but never had the need to possible purchase multiple currencies. What do others consider to be the best options. I am considering setting up a Debit Card to use in ATM's and/or shops rather than getting currency on board. This will limit losses if scammed and we can top up the account as necessary.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

Other Worldie tips and tricks anyone can offer will be gratefully received :)

If you are in UK get a Halifax Clarity credit card. No charge for purchases abroad.

Buy about £50 of currency for each country, maybe less. You only need a bit of flash money for drinks, maybe a meal ashore.

Which countries do you visit? How many days in each country? Probably some places with €€ so take a bunch of them.

Have a fabulous time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Itinerary is:-

• Madeira, Portugal
  • Barbados
  • Curacao
  • Full transit Panama Canal
  • Huatulco, Mexico
  • Cabo San Lucas
  • San Francisco, USA
  • Hilo
  • Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaiian Islands
  • Pago Pago, American Samoa
  • International Date Line
  • Nuku Alofa
  • Auckland
  • Bay of Islands, New Zealand
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Brisbane
  • Great Barrier Reef
  • Yorkeys Knob
  • Manila, Philippines
  • Shanghai
  • Hong Kong
  • Nha Trang, Vietnam
  • Phu My
  • Singapore
  • Kuala Lumpur
  • Langkawi
  • Colombo, Sri Lanka
  • Mormugao
  • Dubai
  • Muscat
  • Aqaba
  • Sharm El Sheikh
  • Suez Canal (transit)
  • Messina Straits
  • Naples
  • Cadis

Now that is a list of interesting places

Paul

What a great list Paul!

Some currencies are easy from uk. US $ and Oz$ are a cinch but getting Samoan and Tongan money will probably not be possible. Take lots of US$ as they are accepted in many destinations. Take cash ££ too because you may be able to exchange them in some places.

Singapore is the place to change money. There are places on Orchard Road, tiny little stalls in shopping malls look like rip off merchants but they give good deals and hold Malaysian currency. We changed £ into currency for Malaysia there last year and were impressed with the good deal we got. I think the change place we used was called something called Everest Currency exchange.

Best of luck.

You may get better advice from other readers, these are just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Paul

We are on the same cruise but only to Auckland , we are going to get a Thomas cook cash card , you can load 13 different most used currencies on to it at one time , we are going to get one each so if you lose one or have it stolen you will still have one , they are free and you can load them online if you need to top up , if you only take one and it is lost or stolen they will wire you cash within 4 hours apparently , it is used like a debit card with a pin number , hope this helps

Zoe

I agree with the suggestion of a Halifax Clarity card as you will get the best exchange rate with one of those. It is the card highly recommended by Martin Lewis of Money Saving Expert.

We have three CCs that have no foreign transaction fees. My partner had no problem using the Halifax card in Oz last year.

I would also get USD as I imagine would be accepted in most of the destinations.

I am just back from Aurora's world cruise. I got a Post Office credit card as no foreign currency loading fee. Then I got mostly $US which were accepted almost everywhere, some Euros for the Med part, AUS$ and NZ$ and then around £20-£30 in all other local currencies to cover a coffee or beer ashore. M&S had all the currencies I needed without having to order them in, even Ringits! The only currency I couldn't get was Indian Rupees but we didn't need them - US$ worked fine there.

Enjoy - it was a wonderful experience.

As for other tips - one simple idea I had was to take a large map of the world and have it up on our cabin wall using magnets. It was really good to be able to mark our progress (one magnet was "Aurora") and also really useful at times.

Hi Paul

We are on the same cruise but only to Auckland , we are going to get a Thomas cook cash card , you can load 13 different most used currencies on to it at one time , we are going to get one each so if you lose one or have it stolen you will still have one , they are free and you can load them online if you need to top up , if you only take one and it is lost or stolen they will wire you cash within 4 hours apparently , it is used like a debit card with a pin number , hope this helps

Zoe

These sound great but be aware they are not accepted everywhere.