Snorkeling gear

Wadecool

We are excited to snorkel on our cruise this June. I know the reef in Roatan is incredible and want to know if can recommend whether we should buy our own gear or just rent some onsite? Wife wants to get some of those new full face masks with tube built in. Do they rent those in Roatan and if so where?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I were in your situation, I would assume the new masks aren't available in Roatan especially for rental. So maybe buy and bring? If you are going to go snorkeling anywhere else or are thinking about snorkeling again down the road, it'd be well worth the effort to buy and make sure they fit and work. Fins you can rent, If worried about other people's feet, buy some snorkeling/diving socks. And you don't need to use just blackpearl. rentals are generally available at most places along West Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Many places have equipment on site. I prefer my own snorkel, as I am a germaphobe. As for the full faced snorkel, I looked into them and the one thing that caused me to stay away from them was that the description says they are not suitable for free diving. Another I have looked at is the moflo 2 by bobs snorkel in Maui. They deliver more air and supposed to be easier to clear. I will be buying one of these, but only recommend if you're a serious snorkel enthusiast, as they are about $50. Have fun!! If you are undecided on where to snorkel I highly recommend upachaya pontoon boat snorkel. You can find my full review on it here in the Roatan forum.

I do appreciate all the good info. DW, DD, and I will be snorkeling for the first time so I thought the full face type would be easier to learn.

Now if I could only find a pair of fins for my size 16 feet...

We bought our own Full Face Snorkel Masks and used them several times in Roatan. I just don't like renting equipment where other people used them. If you want or need to rent, Bananarama on West Bay Beach is very good and they take good care of the equipment but I suggest getting your own.

I do rent the fins -- bring my own water socks. I did this from Infinity Bay Resort last week.

Now if I could only find a pair of fins for my size 16 feet...

Size 16 feet? Why would you need fins for those?!!

I bought my own snorkel and mask at Amazon for $40 and they're very nice. I am too a germaphobe and am grossed out by renting that stuff. The ones I bought are very light and will only take up a very small space in my suitcase.

We bought our own. Got at Sams Club for about $45. They have lasted us a very long time. And a couple of years ago I purchased our own snorkel vests on Amazon for about the same price. We take them on every cruise.

I'm not so much a germaphobe as I just like having and being familiar with my own equipment and it makes it so much easier in a place where we can shore snorkel, like Cozumel, Tortola, Grand Cayman or Roatan.