Pride of America

njcruisefan

If the trip itinerary shows Hilo to Kona on the north side of the Big Island on your trip, the volcano would show on the LEFT or PORT side. Sometimes the ship goes the southern route, then the right side would be correct. Just picture the ship and how it travels from port to port.

It was on the starboard side a couple of weeks ago. And the lava flow was big and bright that night! The best place to watch was on the starboard side on the outdoor promenade deck (deck 6). There was a broadcasted narration out there about the volcano and a few of the bar staff members were going around selling a cute drink in light-up cups to enhance the occasion. It was fun and I was glad that we watched from there versus from our own balcony.

It all depends on if the lava is flowing on the southern end of the island. If it is, then you will go past it and the starboard side is best.

We were on the POA in December 2015, and the lava was not flowing, so our route went around the north side of the island, and we didn't see the lava flow at all.

However, for the Na Pali coast, which you always go past, the port side is best. The ship make a U-turn so both sides of the ship see it, but the port side is first, is a lot closer, and has more daylight.

Alternately, if you are still selecting a cabin, either forward or aft balconies would have views of both the lava flow and Napali coast. There was no lava flow last year during our trip but the Napali Coast was a spectacular view from our forward balcony!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alternately, if you are still selecting a cabin, either forward or aft balconies would have views of both the lava flow and Napali coast. There was no lava flow last year during our trip but the Napali Coast was a spectacular view from our forward balcony!

We were in a fantastic aft balcony but still found the best view of the lava flow and the Napoli Coast was from the promenade deck [emoji3]

We ran back to our aft balcony afterwards to get a longer view though! Win/win!

It all depends on if the lava is flowing on the southern end of the island. If it is, then you will go past it and the starboard side is best.

We were on the POA in December 2015, and the lava was not flowing, so our route went around the north side of the island, and we didn't see the lava flow at all.

However, for the Na Pali coast, which you always go past, the port side is best. The ship make a U-turn so both sides of the ship see it, but the port side is first, is a lot closer, and has more daylight.

WhT time is the napali coast sail-by? Want to make sure our dinner reservations don't coincide, or if they do, hopefully our table has a window with the view!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

WhT time is the napali coast sail-by? Want to make sure our dinner reservations don't coincide, or if they do, hopefully our table has a window with the view!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On our sailing it was around 6:15, and took about 45 minutes to pass by. Guess it can be earlier or later depending on weather, etc.