Getting to Cruise Port from Civitavecchia train station

webj

I have done it twice, walked to the port from the train station. I was traveling solo. It was not hard. The worse part was not walking from the train station to the port. On the train I had to stand. I also traveled from Rome in a shared ride arranged on our roll call. With that large a group like yours it makes more sense to arrange taxis or a van.

I agree. It's being portrayed as complicated and it's not.

I agree. It's being portrayed as complicated and it's not.

Maybe for most, but add a 3-yr old and 2 seniors into the equation and cruise luggage for 10 and I will bet the complexity factor goes off the chart.

There is a local (ARGO)bus that travels from the Civitavecchia train station to the port entrance. The bus is orange and can be caught right outside of the entrance to the train station(across from the small parking area).

Tickets can be purchased at the snack/convenience store register found inside the train station.

There is also a taxi stand outside of the station as well. Beware of rip-off taxi drivers trying to overcharge for what amounts to a 10 minute(3 or 4 mile drive). The ARGO bus is certainly the economical way to go.

Walking to the port gate is too far. There is a port gate nearer to the train station(located by the old fort), however that entrance is no longer easy to use for (embarking) cruise passengers.

As being a working port -- (embarking) cruise passengers are now expected to take a shuttle from the much further Northern port entrance and there are no shuttle stops at the Southern gate entrance. Pedestrians may still be able to use the Southern gate, but depending on the distance to one's ship, it can be quite a walk along a road not really set up for those with luggage in tow.

That all stated, with 10 people in your group it might make more sense to arrange for and hire a private transfer directly from Rome. The costs of the regional train in combination with the ARGO/taxi fare for such a large group would likely compare to those of a private transfer.

Edited by Skai

Maybe for most, but add a 3-yr old and 2 seniors into the equation and cruise luggage for 10 and I will bet the complexity factor goes off the chart.

How would all that not be bad on the train as well?

Why not set up a nice relaxing transfer from Rome right to the gangway?

I have gone on the train from Rome to Civitavecchia with luggage First, in Rome some local teenage boys took our luggage on the train the whole time against our protests. Then once on the train they wanted money. Then when we arrived at Civitavecchia you have to maneuver your luggage down many steps and then up many steps to get under the tracks. My travel friend had packed her case very heavy and if it hadn't been for a very nice local man we would not have made it. I did it one time without luggage and it was very easy and inexpensive.