25/06/17 Cruise - Constellation Technical Issues - Cruise Delayed by 2 days

DYKWIA

Published this morning on Celebrity's UK site

"Celebrity Constellation: 26 May 2017

We regret that we have had to delay the departure of Celebrity Constellation, due to depart on 26th May 2017 from Barcelona. Because we need to resolve an unforeseen technical challenge related to the software that manages the ship's propulsion, boarding for the cruise will be delayed by two days. Constellation will now depart Barcelona, Spain on Sunday, the 28th May. Check in for this cruise will take place between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

We will provide hotel accommodation for all guests in Barcelona whilst waiting to join the ship.

Please phone +44 (0)1932 834 194 or 00 1 800 647 2251 for details about compensation, hotels and the revised itinerary.

We apologise for the inconvenience this is having on guests' holidays and we appreciate your understanding. We are doing everything we can to help ensure our guests have a great holiday. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone onboard."

Finding accommodation for 2000 odd guests in Barcelona isn't going to be easy - not sure why they just wouldn't just let people board today but not sail until Sunday. Coincides with UK half term holidays.

I believe this cruise was heavily marketed for the Monaco Grand Prix (taking place on Sunday) - looks like passengers will be having to watch the race from their cabins in Barcelona - not good!

Ship's propulsion software doesn't run Windows XP does it?

Edited by DYKWIA

What a logistical nightmare, half term holiday, possibly hundreds of kids. I feel for all those involved. I hope the problem is soon sorted. But if it is only a software problem, why the heck are they not boarding passengers as usual ? Surely the only thing not working is the ship actually moving!!

How the heck can they compensate for missing the Monaco GP - impossible.

(By the way, the date is wrong in the header)

Ship is apparently out at sea being tested so that is perhaps why people can't board.

Hotel prices are going up in Barcelona as I write - £300 for 2 nights at a Travelodge - £7000+ for 2 nights at the Mandarin Oriental.

Someone is reporting that they've been offered $2000 OBC by way of compensation - if that is typical I'm guessing there will be no discounts on boards or sales and those fruit machines will be very tight!

Apologies for my incorrectly typed header (can't edit it now) this relates to TODAY's proposed sailing 26th May 2017

Published this morning on Celebrity's UK site

"Celebrity Constellation: 26 May 2017

We regret that we have had to delay the departure of Celebrity Constellation, due to depart on 26th May 2017 from Barcelona. Because we need to resolve an unforeseen technical challenge related to the software that manages the ship's propulsion, boarding for the cruise will be delayed by two days. Constellation will now depart Barcelona, Spain on Sunday, the 28th May. Check in for this cruise will take place between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

We will provide hotel accommodation for all guests in Barcelona whilst waiting to join the ship.

Please phone +44 (0)1932 834 194 or 00 1 800 647 2251 for details about compensation, hotels and the revised itinerary.

We apologise for the inconvenience this is having on guests' holidays and we appreciate your understanding. We are doing everything we can to help ensure our guests have a great holiday. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone onboard."

Finding accommodation for 2000 odd guests in Barcelona isn't going to be easy - not sure why they just wouldn't just let people board today but not sail until Sunday. Coincides with UK half term holidays.

I believe this cruise was heavily marketed for the Monaco Grand Prix (taking place on Sunday) - looks like passengers will be having to watch the race from their cabins in Barcelona - not good!

Ship's propulsion software doesn't run Windows XP does it?

This was reported yesterday on the Connie refurbishment thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2421688&page=8

Some of the pax due to board today also commented on the lack of information they had been receiving from X. Such a shame as many had booked especially for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Celebrity Cruises is doing our best to make things right for guests on Celebrity Constellation whose vacations have been disrupted. We are compensating guests for missed ports, as well as extra hotel and meal expenses,and offering onboard spending credits as a goodwill gesture. We are also ensuring guests who planned on attending the Monaco Grand Prix will reach the events by other means.

We apologize for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans. Our global team is working hard to help make the best of the situation and ensure all guess have the best vacation possible.

Celebrity has been very accommodating in the compensation and the hotel we are staying is very nice. We have contacted them several times through the number provided on information concerning getting to the Grand Prix, so far we just keep hearing they will get us there but no further information. Given it is 5 pm in Barcelona, that doesn't give a lot of time to get us to Monaco by 9am tomorrow. I just wish we would hear something so we can stop worrying about our once in a lifetime experience! If it wasn't for the Grand Prix this would not be a big deal at all.

Celebrity has been very accommodating in the compensation and the hotel we are staying is very nice. We have contacted them several times through the number provided on information concerning getting to the Grand Prix, so far we just keep hearing they will get us there but no further information. Given it is 5 pm in Barcelona, that doesn't give a lot of time to get us to Monaco by 9am tomorrow. I just wish we would hear something so we can stop worrying about our once in a lifetime experience! If it wasn't for the Grand Prix this would not be a big deal at all.

I was extremely frustrated with the lack of communication but was able to get in touch with the Concierge this morning (Jennifer) and she was very helpful. I am very pleased with the compensation provided and the ease of getting hotel expenses reimbursed. It is disappointing not to sail as planned but I believe they are doing the best to make up for it. I didn't book for the Grand Prix so not comparing our situation to others. There are definitely places in the world that would be far worse to be stuck than Barcelona - especially with the beautiful weather here today!