Anybody been to Chankanab?

CLIKARMIL

We've been there at least four times and have another day planned there in about 145 days! Can't wait!

We've not done the dolphin encounter - we're snorkelers and we just enjoy Chakanaab as an inexpensive beach/chill out day. That can vary with the amount of ships in port, but we usually go early and have a good palapa and chairs staked out way before the crowds arrive.

Seems like taxi is about $12 - $15 each way, there are plenty there for your return, they are lined up waiting for fares as you leave the park. $2 off admission ticket coupons are readily available on the web - just Google it.

We've always had food and drinks delivered to our chairs (and we usually go to the far end, about as far away from the Sea Lion/Dolphin/Swimming Pool area as possible) with no issues and it is good, fairly inexpensive food. We generally just drink local beer and again, very affordable!

103_1274-M.jpg

20141202_102359-M.jpg

How was the snorkeling there

• 1 month later...
We were there the first week of September. We got off the ship early and got a taxit to take us there. I think we were the first people there. We wouldn't have had to go that early, but our friends wanted to make sure they got a spot to swim with the dolphins. They booked the dolphin excursion from one window and we paid for just the park at another window. They paid cash, but we used our credit card, so I assume you could do either.

Do you remember the price onsite? I am trying to see if it would be cheaper to book once we arrive or book before going?

Do you remember the price onsite? I am trying to see if it would be cheaper to book once we arrive or book before going?

We paid $21 per person to get in. I’m not sure what our friends paid for entrance and dolphin swim.

Ok thanks. I am looking for dolphin swim prices if anyone know what they are when booking on-site.

I booked with Dolphin Discovery. I did it via an online chat and it was very easy. We are doing the dolphin encounter and the sea lion discovery, for 2 adults our "discounted" price was $244, includes admission and lunch. No pictures. Dolphin encounter alone was around $140 for 2 people I think.

We cruise on Saturday, I'll come back and report about it :D

I booked with Dolphin Discovery. I did it via an online chat and it was very easy. We are doing the dolphin encounter and the sea lion discovery, for 2 adults our "discounted" price was $244, includes admission and lunch. No pictures. Dolphin encounter alone was around $140 for 2 people I think.

We cruise on Saturday, I'll come back and report about it :D

Thanks! We went ahead and booked online. I got the dolphin swim and memories that includes the photos-1 printed and the rest digital-for $139 for my daughter. She will get the dolphin swim, entrance to Chankanaab, the buffet and two drinks. That is going to be her Christmas gift this year since we will be in Cozumel on Christmas Day.

• 2 weeks later...
It is fair. Most of the coral is in pretty rough shape but you will see lots of fish. Fruit loops in your pocket can help with that a bit. I've snorkled a lot better places but Chankanaab is adequate.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Please don't feed the fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks! We went ahead and booked online. I got the dolphin swim and memories that includes the photos-1 printed and the rest digital-for $139 for my daughter. She will get the dolphin swim, entrance to Chankanaab, the buffet and two drinks. That is going to be her Christmas gift this year since we will be in Cozumel on Christmas Day.

This is too late for OP, but for others - we booked through the chat feature online and it worked well. they send you a link to your email and you complete registration through there.

I can't find what we paid, but I recall it was inline with others on these boards. They did include 15 minutes with the manatees, but it was actually like 5 minutes. However that was enough to get to see him up close, rub this belly, and get a good look at his mouth (looks like a big pig) so it gave us what we needed.

Our reservation said it included open bar and buffet lunch, but when I asked the bartender, he said we did not have open bar. I was not that concerned because that was only open bar for the Dolphin Discovery section and not the beach area where I wanted to hang out afterwards anyways. Buffett - if you are over 8 and have any appreciation for food, avoid this. It was bad, bad, bad. Go in, let the kids eat, have a some chips (no salsa, but they did offer us spaghetti sauce), a soda (included) and get some A/C. Don't count on this for lunch (just my opinion).

Photos are a racket. Price at check in = $330 (for 5), At life vests = $275 (included taxi back), at Dolphin area = $250, when photo sales comes walking out to "make sure someone spoke to us" price was $225. When we were done, cold from being dripping wet and standing in the wind price was now $275 again. We looked at pictures after drying off and we cut a deal for a limited number of pictures on a CD. After getting them, DW thought, "Crap, do we have a computer with CD drive?!"

BOttom line is the Dolphin Swim experience is great, you just have to be ready for the photo strong arm. We would definitely do the swim experience again.

Spent some time down by the beach and had reasonably priced beer and sodas. Not really a good beach area. Would vote for Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocum were it not for the dolphin experience (Why we went).