Miami in a day, with a car

senoragilbert

First of all, I apologize to the locals for whom this is probably the 300th post of its type, but I can't find an answer for this one through searching. I may be using the wrong terms, in which case I apologize all the more!

We are coming in a night and full day early for our cruise, driving from the Tampa area on the Tamiami Trail (and doing the airboat/old Florida kitsch thing on the way), on Saturday, June 3, with 2 nights near the airport in Miami. I have several questions about this plan. We are a family of three, myself and DH are 39, with our DS 14.

1. Is it really too hot in early June to make a stop at the Shark Valley area of the Everglades? Will the heat prevent us from seeing wildlife or is it just buggy and unpleasant?

2. We want to do a self-guided tour of Miami, hitting the highlights, which for us would be art deco and Little Havana. We will have a rental car. How difficult is parking in those more touristed areas? What shall we not miss? We are not interested in shopping or drinking, but love history, culture, and food (especially street food and holes-in-the wall!)

3. Is Vizcaya worth our time and entrance fees? We do spend a lot of time in castles, stately homes, indigenous villages and ruins when abroad, it seems like it would appeal to us.

Thank you again for any help you can provide. Your patience and advice on this board are appreciated by many of us who post seldom, but use your expertise nonetheless!

Early June is quite hot for Shark Valley unless you are there very early in the AM. I doubt you would see any real wildlife at any other time. Vizcaya is beautiful but again, that is something I would do first thing in the morning when they open. Much of the site is outdoors and walking but the water views and property are beautiful.

For a similar view, the Perez Museum of Art is right on the bay downtown and is really nice with great views of the bay and Miami Beach. The new science museum just opened next door. Both of them would be a good idea on a very hot and /or rainy afternoon. The Wynwood area north of downtown is known for its art galleries and outdoor art and has some wonderful restaurants with local flavor. Little Havana along SW 8th Street will give you a taste of Cuban culture in Miami. It is busy on the weekends, especially Saturday night. Same goes for Wynwood. For Art Deco head over to Miami Beach for South Beach. Park the car a few blocks west (near Washington Avenue) and walk along Ocean Drive from around 5th street north for a few blocks. I recommend this on late Sunday afternoon when the beachgoers leave. South Beach is crazy busy on Saturday nights and parking is difficult and traffic absurd, even in the summer months.

Hope this helps you plan your time in Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's HOT here now. This weekend is going to be around 92 and very humid. The UV index is a 10+.

As the other poster noted, Vizcaya is beautiful. But again, do it early in the day as all the gardens are of course outside gardens.

The new science museum is amazing. I will warn you that weekends are insane here. Sunday the line was 1.5 hours and the planetarium show was sold out before noon.

Parking in little Havana can be tough but you should be able to find a place.

Luckily you aren't over here this weekend because South Beach is going to be an absolute traffic nightmare. There are way too many events going!

Thanks to you both! It sounds like we should get an early start on Sunday, come back to the hotel for a swim in the afternoon, then go back out in the evening.

I'll do some checking on the science museum. We are members of our local science center, which is excellent...award-winning, in fact.

Thanks again for your responses!

two suggestions

Venetian pool http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

"The pool was created in 1923 from a coral rock quarry, where much of the original coral rock was used to border and further accentuate the pool. It also features two large historic lookout towers, with a view to the City Beautiful.

The 820,000 gallon pool is fed with spring water from an underground aquifer. In the spring and summer seasons, the pool is filled and drained daily!

Of course the aquifer is not the only feature that enhances a visitor’s experience. There are two waterfalls that provide a scenic backdrop as well as the cave-like grottos which provide a fun experience for swimmers.

The Venetian Pool’s beauty is further accentuated by its loggias, porticos, palm trees and signature bridge. It truly is an unforgettable experience! "

Deering Estate http://www.deeringestate.org/

"Located along the edge of Biscayne Bay, the 444-acre Deering Estate is an environmental, archaeological and historic preserve that offers unique opportunities to experience Florida’s natural resources. Visitors enjoy daily tours of historic homes, hikes through the lush natural areas, opportunities to examine fossils and tools left behind by pre-historic humans, and much more."

almost forgot

Fairchild garden AND Matheson Hammock

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/matheson-hammock.asp

Edited by Capt_BJ

Any particular reason you are staying out at the airport? It's so hot and rates are so good this time of year, I'd take a look at Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, downtown, or the beaches over the airport area.

I'd also skip the Everglades. Mosquitoes are massive, like Jurassic.

Love Vizcaya, go early. The Venetian Pool is a GREAT idea!

I love heading over to Key Biscayne and eating outside at The Rusty Pelican. The views are incredible.

It really is that time of year when it is just hot.

A beach is always a good idea.

The Marlins are in town and the stadium is air conditioned!

Any particular reason you are staying out at the airport? It's so hot and rates are so good this time of year, I'd take a look at Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, downtown, or the beaches over the airport area.

Without boring everyone on this board, yes, we have particular reasons for staying near the airport, which isn't that far from everything. We're at the beach this week, so probably won't be too interested in another beach day.

Thanks for the suggestions!