NCL Jewel to Alaska May 20-27 2017 - An Absolutely Amazing Alaskan Adventure!

DebQ5

May 25th - Le Bistro continued

I had my favorite dessert, along with another glass of wine...

25MayLeBistro6.png

So despite the odd service (not bad service, just not great service), I think we will have to try Le Bistro again, just because the food is so good. :)

I have never been to La Cucina or Moderno for dinner, and may have to try one of those at some point too.. :)

May 25th - continued

I almost forgot to mention the show that we saw this night. Le Cirque Bijoux was absolutely the best show I've seen on a cruise ship. My daughter insisted we sit near the front on the floor (I'm a balcony person usually), and she was right. The show is very interactive with the audience and although it seemed a bit odd at first, it was truly amazing. Do not miss this!

After the show we went to Karaoke at the Fyzz Lounge and met up with friends. This was a fun group of people and so welcoming that even my daughter got up to sing with her brother, a first! The bartender here, (don't remember her name :( but she was British) is phenomenal and really went out of her way to be friendly and offer great service! Miss her and our Karaoke group!

Shake it Shirley was one of the better activities people... she seemed to have fun each time and got the crowd into it. Pictured with her is Nemo, who almost got lynched at the last Karaoke night...

Shirley is fabulous! I had her on the Dawn last fall. So much fun and incredibly youthful. Her dance classes and trivia were especially fabulous!

May 26 - Partial Sea Day, Victoria BC

This was our last full day of our trip :(. It was a beautiful day, and we tried to make the most of it. My daughter and I made our way to the Great Outdoors. I wish we had come here earlier, but with our great room we hadn't felt the need. It was pretty crowded with sun seekers, but we found a table and had some breakfast. They have a smaller version of the buffet back here that's just perfect.

26MAYShipGreatOutdoors.jpg

26MAYShipGreatOutdoors2.jpg

The ship was due to dock at 2:00 or 2:30 pm I believe. So we had quite a bit of the morning to walk around and soak up the last bits of the ship.

26MAYShipPoolDay.jpg

26MayShipUpperDeck.jpg

26MAYShipUpperDeck2.jpg

May 26 - Victoria, BC

We had scheduled a private taxi tour with London Taxi Tours, with Sandra Found. This was the most expensive our trips, at $95 per hour, but again, that was for up to 7 people (I believe). We had a couple of our new friends join us, which was fun all around, and it didn't cost any more. We took a van, and there was a driver along with Sandra. She met us right where you got off the ship and had a sign with my name. I had previously told her in general that we weren't museum people and didn't want to see the castle, etc. She had a few destinations in mind and we just went with it. It turned out great!

The Jewel at the Victoria BC dock.

26MAYJewelBoat.jpg

Sandra drove us through some very nice neighborhoods until we got to a park...

26MAYVBCPark.jpg

They parked the van and we got out to feed the peacocks! This was very cool, and Sandra had brought peanuts for them, and new just where they hang out.

26MAYVBCPeacock2.jpg

We walked around a bit...

26MAYVBCFountain.jpg

26MAYVBCStream.jpg

May 26th - continued...

We got back in the van and drove to another part of the park. On the way, I spotted a deer, and the driver immediately pulled over so we could stop and take a picture. They were very accommodating and kept noting that "this was our tour" and we could do whatever we wanted. Very nice...

26MAYVBCDeer.jpg

We stopped next at the tallest totem pole...

26MAYVBCTotem.jpg

And then on to more pretty views, still part of the park

26MAYVBCViewBoat.jpg

26MAYVBCLighthouse.jpg

26MAYVBCViewMountains.jpg

The highlight of the tour came next.... now its not like we've never seen a seal before, but we had so much fun with these guys! Sandra bought frozen fish and gave it to us to feed them.

26MAYVBCSealMarina.jpg

26MAYVBCSeal3.jpg

26MAYVBCSealBoat.jpg

26MAYVBCSealClose.jpg

26MAYVBCSealClose2.jpg

26MAYVBCSealLarge.jpg

We finished up with a drive by the castle, just to take some picture outside, and then a tour through town. We had them drop us off at the waterfront where we sat and had a beer (or two) and people watched. We took a taxi back to the ship but you could walk it in about 30 minutes...

26MAYCastle.jpg

26MAYVBCOrcaTopiary.jpg

26MAYVBCHarborView.jpg

May 20th – Embarkation

We sat down to wait and then Bruno, our concierge, came over with our key cards and information about our dinner reservations (made previously) and suite privileges such as breakfast and lunch in Moderno. The room had a table with coffee and juices and a few snacks.

We loved Bruno!

-Frank

We had a great dinner at Cagney's that night. I do love the quality of the steak, however none of my more recent cagney's experiences have lived up to the first one on the Dawn. I think it makes a difference on where you sit, as we were right in front of the open kitchen and had to listen to the waiters and waitresses shout to each other.

We all ordered steak, the kids got the filet and I got the New York strip. They ask what type of sauce and we all got butter garlic, I believe, but it came out as a hard piece of butter on top of the steak that never really melted. Design flaw... I like ordering the sides, but I think having them appear in separate dishes doesn't make an enormous amount of sense. It's not like they are really sharing sizes, everyone orders their own. But they are tasty!

23MAYDinner1.png

23MAYDinner3.png

Dessert was fabulous of course...

23MAYDinner2.png

23MAYDinner4.png

Do you mind my asking what the prices ranged at Cagney's?? I'd like to reserve it but noticed its ala carte

Sent from my VIVO XL using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...