Allure Western Caribbean May 21st-28th -Thoughts and Tips

Sitting in my living room drinking a glass of wine because technically I'm still on vacation and reflecting back on our 7 day Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Allure. For those of you expecting pictures, sorry to disappoint but my photography skills are not the greatest. This is our seventh RCL cruise, but first time with just my daughter so I was completely responsible for both of us. Little background, cruised one time as a family of four several years ago, son is on his own now. Last several cruises were just DH and myself but this time with hubby's blessing, I decided to do a mother/daughter cruise. She's turning 21 next week, our time together is so limited with college and friends and work, figured a week of bonding would be good for both of us.

Our flight was day of cruise, Detroit to Fort Lauderdale, I know I took a chance but no delays, took a cab to port and were on board by 12:30, very smooth embarkation.

Booked a balcony room, 728, Deck 11 which is last room before Aqua Suites. Quite a long walk from elevators but we managed.

Best tips I received from CC: Over the door mesh organizer , great for two females packing face, hair products, very easy to find. Towel clips- kept towels in place on beach chairs plus great for drying swim suits on balcony. Magnetic hooks -hanging clothes to dry in bathroom.

So, several months ago I booked My Time Dining online but few weeks ago when I checked online, reservations where nowhere to be found, same for Mama Mia show. Called to find out what happened, didn't receive any help besides telling me to book onboard. Well, only options were 8:45 reservations and that's too late. So every night except one we went to Windjammer and someone posted awhile ago about the food being better, and yes, totally agree. Lots of fresh selections and so many options plus always found a table overlooking the water. I didn't book any specialty restaurants this time.

Let's talk about the MDR.....one evening (first formal night), we waited about 10 minutes in line for a table for 2, service was horrible and food wasn't much better. Waiters seemed disinterested, waited a long time for food which came out cold and dry. No, I'm not a foodie and pretty easy going, but come on....enough said.

Drink package, first time buying it and totally worth the cost, averaged about 10-12 drinks a day. Don't judge me, beer gets warm by the pool pretty quickly so didn't feel compelled to drink entire bottle and hmmm, don't care for the Mudslide or Mojito so why don't I just order something else? Never got drunk, had lots of water in between. Thanks for the tip about the cucumber jalapeño margaritas at Sabor, delicious! Bill, I was looking forward to your suggestion of the Triple Coconut Mojito at Boleros, the bartender actually talked me out of it when I told him I don't care for sweet drinks. Darn it, will have to try it this November, hope Independence has them! Speaking of bartenders, tip them a dollar or two and they are so appreciative, goes a long way. Favorite poolside drink was either Corona or frozen margarita with splash of orange juice and actually, Miami Vice with dark rum was tasty too.

So much more to post, more about service, ports, shows, chair hogs, and general stuff. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I also brought home Cruise Compass for the week if you want me to post. Fading quickly, time for bed.

Larysa

How did you like this room? Have a similar room booked on Oasis in a month.

Room was great, we could hear music from Aqua Theater when balcony door was opened, it was nice. Never saw or heard any of our neighbors on their balconies.

Service was great everywhere except the one evening in MDR. I would get my own glass of wine during dinner at Windjammer, no big deal. Never had a problem finding a table with ocean view and our dishes were cleared away quickly.

Chair hogs were only hogging at salt water pool where the umbrellas are, otherwise we had no problem finding chairs next to the freshwater pool, most days we were there by 9:30-10. We would drop off our towels, go eat breakfast and be back within half hour. We didn't hang out in Solarium at all, my daughter said it was to "old" of a crowd for her. Most days we ate lunch at Solarium Bistro, close by and healthy selection. Didn't realize until day 5 that drink package included sparkling flavored water, would have had more had I figured it out, huge selection from machine.

We didn't take any naps so back in our room most nights by 11:00. We did catch the Aqua show which was fantastic, the Rock and Roll show, Blue Planet and Love and Marriage, all great. No reservations but had no problem getting seats for all of them.

Labadee - forgot name of beach but it was on the right side past Diamond members area, calm water but lots of people including myself got stung by jelly fish, felt like a very mild bee sting. Beautiful views, close to bar and restroom, farther walk to bbq.

Falmouth - no excursions, we did Dunns River Falls previously so just walked around port, not impressed with Margaritaville, looked at their overpriced menu and kept walking. Best part was going back to ship and having a leisurely day at the pool without the crowds.

Cozumel - took taxi to main district and spent the day shopping, felt safe and not harassed by shop keepers, of course they want you to buy but just be polite to them. Stopped for lunch at outdoor restaurant, told waiter my daughter will be turning 21 in couple days, he brought us free shots and she was also serenaded by mariachi band, so much fun.

More to come, including Cruise Compass.

Very nice review.

Did you find the WJ to be crowded for dinner?

How was the night life on your sailing.?

Thanks again.

Yes, it was crowded, we usually went between 6:30 and 7:00 but never had a problem finding a table, mostly it's maneuvering and dodging people in the food lines.

Yes, it was crowded, we usually went between 6:30 and 7:00 but never had a problem finding a table, mostly it's maneuvering and dodging people in the food lines.

Following. Goin same ship/itinerary in Sept. The only thing bothering me at the minute is the people saying about queues to get in the WJ!

I thought this was interesting, closed down Boardwalk for the employees, one week dedicated to employees but this was all they got? 2 1/2 hours?b73d1c3c19ea01514fba04d6b670c728.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk